Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Anyone suffer mild depression?

(14 Posts)
lmm6 Sat 02-Feb-19 16:44:24

I've always suffered low level depression I think and it has come and gone. But, as I get older (nearly 70), it's getting worse. I try not to give in to it and do walking and keep busy. But sometimes life seems pointless. I've got a family and am not short of money but it seems something's missing. Makes me feel so ungrateful feeling like this.

Bridgeit Sat 02-Feb-19 18:04:00

Yes I can relate to this Imm6, so Im sending you a big hug to start with.
I call it my ‘ whats It all about moment ( from the song Alfie,Cilla Black, excellent words)
Accepting it & knowing it will pass is a little help.
My coping strategies go from , full on cleaning, reading about charities , volunteering etc, looking up where help is needed locally . Philosophical readings ,poetry etc
Thinking what our anscetors coped with, reminding myself how so lucky we are compared to the terrible stuffering in other countries, But most importantly following some good advice which is to be your own best friend ie treat yourself as compassionately as you would treat others .best wishes ,ohh and a good old floor scrub also helps , big hugs ??

lmm6 Sun 03-Feb-19 09:33:52

Thanks, Bridgeit. I know you're right and appreciate your advice and support. I'm a bit of a doormat where others are concerned so being my own best friend is a good idea. Also I need to be more physical - scrubbing the floor as you suggest - maybe a bit of retail therapy sometimes. I love nature so need to concentrate on that a bit more too. Tend to dwell on things too much. Big hugs to you too. x

Urmstongran Sun 03-Feb-19 10:07:54

I think someone started a forum on depression a few weeks ago 1mm6 perhaps being part of that group would be helpful to you? Sorry I don’t recall the title. Maybe others can help you find it?
Good luck getting better. The dreariness of winter probably does help either.

Anniebach Sun 03-Feb-19 10:24:11

The thread is - The Black Dog

Gettingitrightoneday Wed 13-Feb-19 08:11:06

Yes on and off I get very low in mood over time. So does my sister.
A lack of sunshine does get me down. But other things get to me.
My late mother was the same. My father, a gentle very good man always seemed to be happy.
I wonder if that was down to him being a comitted practicing Methodist all his life. Not something I have felt.

lmm6 Wed 13-Feb-19 11:55:54

I think you're right. If one has a belief it must surely help. I am convinced it's the way we're made too. My old Mum worries about nothing at all, never has. Whereas her Mum worried about everything. I am between the two. But it's not so much worry, more just sadness about things that have happened to me and other people and not feeling very positive although I have a lot to be grateful for. People who don't suffer from depression don't understand.

HildaW Wed 13-Feb-19 12:34:40

Yes there are a lot of us around. Its a subtle thing sometimes and I'm convinced its part of my make-up. A personality trait if you will. It can vary from just a general lethargy, a feeling of everything is just too much trouble to a powerful wish to just jump back into bed and hope I do not wake up.
As I've got older I've realised how powerful thoughts can be and have learned to stop them (mostly). I used to allow myself to wallow a bit thinking I had no control but I will push the thoughts to the back of my mind, get on with a task or go for a walk. Physical activity helps a lot but motivation can be low so I arrange for things I cannot get out of. When I'm feeling sunny or up for a challenge I join in something so that on those days I feel less capable or motivated I cannot drop out without causing real inconvenience to others. The old fashioned sense of duty I suppose - but I'm always glad I did it afterwards.

Harris27 Fri 22-Feb-19 19:09:49

I think I worry a lot then go into a mild depression definitely seasonal with me as soon as it gets to October I go in low mood dark nights cold and I get terrible chest infections think this brings me low too. I read knit and bake watch TV but only light comedy or nice easy dramas. I go for walks and tell myself this will pass. Hugs to all .

lmm6 Fri 22-Feb-19 22:22:53

Harris27, I too suffered from bad chest infections-one after another-so I had an X-ray which showed slight lung damage which doctor said she could tell was caused by childhood whooping cough. She told me to exercise as much as possible. I walk a lot now (about 6 miles a week), take good multivitamins and avoid crowds where possible. I use Vick’s First Defence which I swear by. I also take herbal medicine prescribed just for me. Also do breathing exercises. Seems to work and since starting all this (6 years ago) have stayed reasonably free of infections whereas previously I suffered constantly and realised something had to be wrong. Hope this may help you.

Le15 Fri 22-Feb-19 22:37:02

I've suffered with it too for many years I take citalopram from gp which helps greatly I got a dog from rescue centre and have made friend whilst walking him daily at local park which I enjoy I get adult colouring books and read too and enjoy codewords on a bad day I do nothing until its passed over good luck x

Urmstongran Fri 22-Feb-19 22:45:41

Family members suffer from anxiety and take citalopram. CBT is helping too.
A thought which is helping is ‘remember, behind the grey clouds there is always blue sky’.

? to all of you who struggle. xx

Chucky Sat 23-Feb-19 01:53:33

I lost my job after a car accident (completely other drivers fault) which has turned my life upside down and left me with PTSD, anxiety and depression. I lost my job because of my injuries, which was devastating. I now struggle with my mobility and find it difficult to walk the length of a street with my walking stick and suffer from constant pain, despite being on strong pain relief including Morphine!
To be honest, if it wasn’t for the worrying how my family would manage without me, I wouldn’t be here.
I’ve tried CBT, but unfortunately, despite trying, it was of little use.
I have also been seen by a very nice lady at psychology, which was lovely having someone to talk to, but I’m still wondering what was actually the point of our meetings!
I suppose I was brought up to believe counselling was only for weak people (not that it is). My father (who I suppose was my guiding light) came through WW2, he was at D day, along with other campaigns and he always said that they managed fine without counselling! He thought of it as only required by weak people, so perhaps my hang ups from him made me less open to any interventions along that line!

Gettingitrightoneday Sat 23-Feb-19 07:51:31

This time last year I was really feeling low and in a mess. In the end GP put me on citalopram . I was then still taking gabapentin for joint pain stopping taking that was rather nasty experience.

Starting to take Citalopram was dreadful my appetite went but it eventually eased off and I felt much better, but that was not fun.
Different people react to it in different ways. I do now feel better.