Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Greta Thunberg on the environment and being on the Autism spectrum

(198 Posts)
Gonegirl Tue 23-Apr-19 17:31:49

interesting listen if you missed it this morning

eazybee Tue 23-Apr-19 17:37:07

I heard it and really feel all the prominence and publicity she is receiving now is not the best thing for her.

Alexa Tue 23-Apr-19 18:16:40

Now there is a great work for which an autistic person is specially suited , Greta Thunberg reminds me of Joan of Arc, a young woman in command of a huge moral enterprise.

Lisagran Tue 23-Apr-19 18:22:13

She really is remarkably articulate for her age

notentirelyallhere Tue 23-Apr-19 18:32:14

She's an incredible speaker and a bright young woman. She reminds me of Malala Yousafzai. Greta is absolutely right about the current generations stealing the future of the children. How people can still argue about man-made climate change I cannot imagine.

ninathenana Tue 23-Apr-19 18:37:09

You have to register to listen

crystaltipps Tue 23-Apr-19 18:38:52

She is worth listening to, especially when you think she is speaking in her second language.

Urmstongran Tue 23-Apr-19 19:25:25

She sees things in black and white. She believes fervently in what she says. I think she is being promoted, prompted and used. Her beliefs are literal.

Gonegirl Tue 23-Apr-19 19:32:01

She sees things in black and white because it is black and white. As she says, there can be no such thing as a little bit sustainable.

Please don't make aspergers people out to be less intelligent than non autistic people.

Jane10 Tue 23-Apr-19 19:38:21

They are autistic people! They can also be rather inflexible and less likely to see a range of alternative approaches.

Urmstongran Tue 23-Apr-19 19:40:34

Her former teacher, Ms. von Berens, marveled at her transformation. She also wondered what would happen next, when the attention fades. “I don’t think this will be forever,” she said.

CyclingKnitter Tue 23-Apr-19 19:59:13

Agree, notentirelyallhere. The idea that she is being used denigrates her and other young people who are brave enough to challenge the status quo. I applaud her.

Gonegirl Tue 23-Apr-19 20:02:27

Some people will always find a way to put the boot in. hmm

Joelsnan Tue 23-Apr-19 20:05:45

My grandson has Aspergers which is on the low end of the Autism spectrum. Many of those with this syndrome focus in very intently on one subject and can speak very assuredly on their subject of interest however this singular knowledge is sometimes to the detriment of the bigger picture. My grandson had a vast knowledge of campervans then airplanes but basic things of life just didnt occur to him. He has improved with age and is at uni. But he still has his little quirks.
This young lady has obviously found her unique interest of the moment however although I praise her spirit, I do think her message needs serious refinement and like my grandson it doesnt occur to her how her vision of absolute environmental sustainability is deliverable, to her and many its a simple stop herewith process. When it is a multifacetted issue that is interwoven into the fabric of 21st century human existence. It cannot be unpicked and returned to how it was, sustainability will be achieved by progressive innovation.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 23-Apr-19 20:17:00

She speaks well, but she has backers. No sixteen year old could fund their way round Europe and be able to gain access to politicians without inside help/knowledge.

I also have a GC on the spectrum and once they get "hooked" on a subject it is difficult for them to see the whole picture.

CyclingKnitter Tue 23-Apr-19 20:18:49

Joelsnan, I don't think it's her task to find the solutions. She's asking the politicians who should be providing leadership on climate change to do this - which they haven't been, for more than 20, 30, 40 or so years. I don't think she's suggesting that we go backwards either - I haven't heard her say that, at least. You're right that her message is simple - but I think that's ok: she's making the point that it's her future and those of other young people that we're risking by not taking action, and that seems an important point to make. After all, she is the only person to have galvanised attention on climate change in a long, long time and she deserves credit for that.

Iam64 Tue 23-Apr-19 20:19:28

One of my grandson's was diagnosed age 8 as on the autistic spectrum. He is intelligent and creative. He is a member of various internet support groups for people with ASD. Socially he remains isolated, other than a couple of young female friends he first met in high school.

I often wonder about the personality within the person with a similar ASD diagnosis. It's great that most people are more aware, better informed about the impact of the disorder but is there a danger we focus so much on generalising about what ASD people excel at and forget they are all like the rest of us, different personalities.

I hope that those involved with Greta's crusade are mindful that whilst she's so well informed, has such a wide vocabulary etc she's only 16.

CyclingKnitter Tue 23-Apr-19 20:20:38

I think too that it's slightly odd to use her Aspergers or autism as a way to disparage her and downplay her message. Why would anyone do that? It's like trying to medicalise it away.

CyclingKnitter Tue 23-Apr-19 20:23:36

smile Iam64 - definitely agree that those around her need to remember that she's young, and that we all are just people with different personalities.

Sparklefizz Tue 23-Apr-19 20:43:05

CyclingKnitter I don't know how you can say she is the only person to have galvanised attention on climate change for a long, long time ..... what about David Attenborough? You seem to have forgotten him.

This is an article about Greta Thunberg's background and family.

www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/the-fifteen-year-old-climate-activist-who-is-demanding-a-new-kind-of-politics

Lisagran Tue 23-Apr-19 21:31:18

Interesting article Sparklefizz - thanks for the link

Joelsnan Tue 23-Apr-19 23:26:17

I feel very worried for this little girl, having been catapulted from making her own little protest to almost deity status.
Greta states she became fearful of climate change, age 9, through a school lesson on climate change where sad images of scrawny polar bears were shown. Greta also stated that the impact of this lesson was so deep that she actually suffered depression at age 11, and because of her Aspergers she became somewhat obsessed with the subject.

Greta seemes to have worried herself ill because she thought no-one was doing anything, this probably because she didnt really understand the complexities of the problem. It is sad that her singular demonstration of a Friday school strike was based on fear and it is concerning that this sensitive and articulate young lady is now being treated almost as a deity.

My politicians have both tweeted with almost zeal stating they felt privileged to meet her.

Greta says that she is now too busy to think about her position in this movement. She is sadly being manipulated. Why has she had to travel around Europe by train during her school holidays and be placed in front of parliamentarians and the Pope?
Listening to her I feel this is not of her doing and it is wrong.
She is already of a delicate nature being frightened by the school lesson on climate change and suffering depression at such a young age.
I feel real concern for this young girl.

FarNorth Wed 24-Apr-19 00:44:50

I hope that her parents are safeguarding her from being exploited.

The prospect of climate change ending the world is very frightening, though, and politicians in all countries need to take notice.

Urmstongran Wed 24-Apr-19 08:22:49

I don’t think I was ‘putting the boot in’ at all here.

I just think the message is strong but the messenger less so.

That’s my opinion anyway.

Joelsnan Wed 24-Apr-19 09:41:04

Could the end of life on earth be a pre determind process? Just as no other planet in our galaxy appears to sustain life as we know it. Individual life on this planet is finite despite attempts for eternity. Maybe eventual death is the same for planet earth.