Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

A feather-brained question...

(11 Posts)
giulia Thu 09-Apr-20 17:54:11

Where have all the pigeons gone? They show us all the most important European squares which used to swarm with pigeons. Just think of Trafalgar Square or St. Mark's in Venice.

Now they are almost bare, obviously because there are no crumbs/seeds for them any more.

But, where have they gone and how do they eat? They are virtually parasites.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Apr-20 17:58:46

In my garden! Every morning I feed the birds all sizes, all shapes I make no distinction. So feeders for tinies, ground food for ground eaters, worms for worm eaters like starlings, and seed for pigeons - they have a dedicated feeder. And horror or horrors food is put out for my nesting seagulls. All once a day. The rest of the time they must fend for themselves.

Septimia Thu 09-Apr-20 18:11:52

Even pigeons probably aren't as daft as they look. Maybe they've headed off looking for gardens with full bird feeders!

M0nica Thu 09-Apr-20 18:23:51

Probably pulling up all the crops on neighbouring farmland.

Auntieflo Thu 09-Apr-20 18:29:14

I saw a couple of seagulls on the roof opposite, this afternoon.
No seaside visitors, no chips or pasties !?

CherryCezzy Thu 09-Apr-20 19:39:06

They're in our garden! Not that unusual, they're after the food we put out for all the other birds. They always come to our garden but there does seem to be more of them these days, wonder why ?? They are gutsy birds and will eat all the food we put out if we let them. My partner calls them flying rats. We do scare them away from the front garden but leave them alone to their devices (some food is put out) in the back garden.

lemongrove Thu 09-Apr-20 19:42:49

The seagulls will really miss their chips!

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 09-Apr-20 20:18:35

They are in Oxfordshire, eating the crops, nesting in our hedges and doing what comes naturally on our overhead telephone cables ... all day, they never stop and then they waddle around as if they own the place, and once they are in the air they c**p all over the garden bench the table and DHs car.

That’s where they are.

merlotgran Thu 09-Apr-20 20:37:17

c**p all over the garden bench the table and DHs car.

This could be why. grin

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 09-Apr-20 20:41:39

Merlotgran that’ll be it then, they hold it all in until they get halfway along the M4!

Pikachu Thu 09-Apr-20 21:37:33

Pigeons follow the food, like seagulls. When easy pickings dry up they forage in fields etc...as nature intended.