Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Definition needed

(10 Posts)
Baggs Tue 05-Jan-21 13:24:32

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what "decolonising bio-cultural curation: new perspectives on the Economic Botany Collection at Amgueddfa Cymru-National Museum Wales" might mean?

I suspect the most pertinent words are bio-cultural and economic. What is an item of economic botany? Is it to do with food crops, perhaps?

Anyway, you can do a PhD on this at Cardiff if you want to in collaboration with the School of Social Sciences.

soop Tue 05-Jan-21 13:42:05

hmm I'll get back to you on that one, Baggs

Elegran Tue 05-Jan-21 14:00:50

Decolonising is another current buzzword. At a guess I would assume that is about removing from the museum's collection of examples of valuable food-crops any bias toward those most valuable to reviled colonialist nations.

I'm not sure whether or not there is a PhD in that but anyone skilled at producing lots of verbiage can make a PhD out of anything at all.

SilverDarlings12 Tue 05-Jan-21 14:01:31

Me too Baggs---"scratches head".

quizqueen Tue 05-Jan-21 14:15:23

I hope all you lot who are pro BLM and the removal of statues and the like never eat a banana or pineapple again or anything else which was originally harvested by slaves. Surely, they will stick in your throat and be against your principles at the thought of how certain foodstuffs have been popularised through the misfortunes of others 300 odd years ago!!!

Stormystar Wed 20-Jan-21 22:38:30

I look forward to reading what’s this means in plain Welsh translated into plain English

Callistemon Wed 20-Jan-21 22:54:57

The Oxford Dictionary summarises ‘decolonisation’ as “the withdrawal from its colonies of a colonial power; the acquisition of political or economic independence by such colonies”. The term refers particularly to the dismantlement, in the years after WW2, of the colonial empires established prior to WW1. However, decolonisation not only refers to the complete removal of the domination of external forces within a geographical space, but it also refers to decolonisation of the mind from the colonisers ideas – ideas that made the colonised seem inferior.

Callistemon Wed 20-Jan-21 23:00:36

Datseinio curadu bio-ddiwylliannol: safbwyntiau newydd ar y Casgliad Botaneg Economaidd yn Amledd Cymru-Amgueddfa Genedlaethol Cymru

Is it all a load of bananas?

NotSpaghetti Thu 21-Jan-21 02:28:18

At present, there is a knowledge gap around biocultural collections (plant parts and products) regarding connections between people and environments. These are in need of decolonisation.

This project will investigate medicinal specimens of South Asian origin ... from the collection.

Septimia Thu 21-Jan-21 09:35:23

Perhaps we should all sign up for it and find out!