Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

fly tipping in the uK

(31 Posts)
Fennel Wed 03-Mar-21 18:31:45

I've just been watching this programme
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000slr9
A subject that has puzzled me for years.
I thought it was interesting but superficial. I mean, where does all this rubbish come from?
What other means of disposal are there?
I don't think it helps to blame the existing Govt. agencies but what else can be done?

J52 Wed 03-Mar-21 18:51:38

Fly tipping comes from several sources. Builders are charged to take building rubble, waste fit tents to the tip. As are private individuals, for example, you can’t take bathroom fittings without charge. So cowboy builders will fly tip.
Some rubbish removers, without a tip licence, will charge unsuspecting householders to remove unwanted items such as mattresses and sofas, to take items to the tip. They then fly tip them.
Then there are individuals who, for no understandable reason dump their waste.

NotSpaghetti Wed 03-Mar-21 18:52:22

I think the worst of it is that if stuff is tipped on your land, you are the one who must pay for its removal which could be mind-blowingly expensive depending on what's been fly-tipped.

J52 Wed 03-Mar-21 18:52:25

*items, not ‘fit tent’??

M0nica Wed 03-Mar-21 19:58:56

One of the problems is that council tips are beginning to charge for rubbish taken there. Our Council charges you £1.50 for every single thing taken to the tip that can be defined as DIY.

I am not talking kitchen and bathroom units. Take a tin of paint to the tip, you pay £1.50. Take 5 tins and it is £7.50. We took a lttle wooden toboggan DH made for our children years ago. The man lookes at it, said 'Did you make that?' Yes, says DH proudly - £1.50 to pay said tip attendant. Yet we would not have been charged if the toboggan had been a bought plastic one confused

The result it, taking stuff to the tip is getting very expensive, some people cannot afford to go to the tip - so they go out and fly-tip it.

Our council now charge £25, to collect large items from outside people's homes, say a fridge or cooker, if you do not have a car.

Part of the trouble, and this applies to commercial fly tipping as well, is that the County Council is responsible for running the tips, but it is the local council who has to pay for clearing up fly tipping by the roadside.

Transfer responsibility of the clear-up to the county councils and they wiil probably then sit down and find a system that deals with waste, but reduces fly tipping.

MissAdventure Wed 03-Mar-21 20:06:28

You can also, in all good faith, pay what seems to be a legitimate person to take your bulky items to dispose of, and they then go and dump your waste.

PamelaJ1 Wed 03-Mar-21 20:10:47

MOnica in our neck of the woods if you leave your paint to dry out you can put it in your non recycling bin.
I hadn’t heard that they had changed the rules but it is a while since I took any.
They have a couple of paint waste days here twice a year.

Calendargirl Wed 03-Mar-21 20:15:45

MissAdventure

You can also, in all good faith, pay what seems to be a legitimate person to take your bulky items to dispose of, and they then go and dump your waste.

That’s why one should check if they have the proper licences to deal with waste. I assume they have to deal with it correctly then.

I think it would be cheaper for councils to provide big skips in designated areas of the town every so often, for people to put bulky items in, this worked well in an area on our regional news a while ago. Surely better and cheaper than stuff being fly tipped.

MissAdventure Wed 03-Mar-21 20:19:33

I was just thinking; I suppose people with a mindset to just dump what they don't want probably don't care if they can pay someone else to do it.

I've always thought the council could provide a truck once a month, where people can take out one or two bulky items for £5 or £10.

GagaJo Wed 03-Mar-21 20:26:11

In one of the areas I used to live in, they had a recycling area at the council dump. Anything the council workers deemed saleable would go in there. It was a treasure trove for renovators (it's called upcycling now). I had several things from it that I took home and restored to use. The council workmen would charge a nominal rate. I got a very good, solid, wooden chest of drawers from it. And the bonus was, the workers were so pleased to trouser a little cash, they'd load it into your car.

Jaxjacky Wed 03-Mar-21 20:35:09

GagaJo our local tip has a large shed they use for exactly that.

M0nica Wed 03-Mar-21 20:35:24

Yes, we used to do that, we acquired a magnificent carved sideboard that way. It is in our house in France and is much admired by our neighbours.

We also acquired some toys, a tricycle and several dolls. They all came home and were throughly cleaned and soaked in disinfectant. I dressed several of the dolls and gave them to a charity shop.

MissAdventure Wed 03-Mar-21 20:39:58

The tip is a whole new ball game here.
All kinds of rules, a charge for driving anything bigger than a car..
Which in turn has taken away any profit for the men who would genuinely take take your rubbish to the tip for a small charge.

Missfoodlove Wed 03-Mar-21 22:30:29

We have to prove we live in the catchment area for our (civic amenity site) tip!
As if we would decide to drive 30 miles to York and dump there, or perhaps Harrogate on a nice day. FFS.
Just make it easier for everyone.
In areas of our city with a high concentration of immigrants the tipping and litter is awful as they often don’t have the means to get to a tip.
The council should just put the huge waste bins out in these neighbourhoods like they do on the continent.

M0nica Wed 03-Mar-21 22:35:00

Actually Missfoodlove we have driven 200 miles to York to dump something there that they would accept and our local tip wouldn't. We all so fitted in a visit to DS and family!

MissAdventure Wed 03-Mar-21 22:36:28

We have the people from the private houses opposite us fetching their wardrobes and mattresses and leaving them beside our bins, and if they're going to magically disappear.

M0nica Thu 04-Mar-21 22:38:57

Perhaps they think that one of you may want to rescue the funiture for their own use. Dumper diving is a perfectly respectable way of acquiring things. As I mentioned above we have rescued and bought things at the tip.

DD recently replaced her cooker. Here previous cooker was defunct and this was obvious at a glance. She left it on her drive, close to the road and within 24 hours someone had rung her doorbell and asked if they could have it. She was fairly sure it was a local scrap dealer. One of our neighbours is moving tomorrow and they have been putting stuff by their gate for people to help themselves to.

MissAdventure Thu 04-Mar-21 22:44:22

I'm all for frugal living.
That doesn't stretch to paying the council to get rid of other people's shyte.
They could put it outside their own homes, and if I saw anything I fancied I would go and get it myself.

Calendargirl Fri 05-Mar-21 07:43:21

On our local Facebook page, registered scrap dealers are often posting saying they will collect stuff.

Not fridges and freezers though, at least not for free, as they have to pay to dispose of them.

Fennel Fri 05-Mar-21 12:57:13

I find this a fascinating topic - very upsetting to see beautiful natural environments defaced by our modern need to keep buying new. The sea also.
The best way is to look for identification of the person who dumped the rubbish and return it to him/her. But with the huge volume now, it's impossible.
The problem has been going on for a long time - we used to live near the Humber and walking on the foreshore you could see remains of domestic waste embedded in the banks.
And in France while digging in the garden we found all sorts. Once a baby's carrycot and covers - thankfully no baby remains inside!

midgey Fri 05-Mar-21 13:41:59

Actually it is illegal to take stuff from a skip without permission! At our tip you are not allowed to take things unless you can get the ‘thrower out’ pretty quickly.

Fennel Fri 05-Mar-21 15:02:24

midgey - so it's the owner of the rubbish who is liable in law.
But when are they going to be found and brought to court when there are so mny more serious cases waiting?

Redhead56 Fri 05-Mar-21 16:02:32

Our local tip/recycling centre is about two miles away it is very organised and the staff are really helpful. Yet on the way to the tip/recycling centre are country lanes often strewn with rubbish. It appalls me that the council provide us with a really good centre but lazy booooods just dump rubbish anywhere.
While dropping my children at school I often told parents off for allowing their children to drop litter. It’s my two pet hates that I can’t stand by and watch in silence.

M0nica Fri 05-Mar-21 17:52:46

Our tip has a corner where they place items in good condition that have been dumped, decent pieces of furniture, There were a couple of really nice bicycles there today.

I ave never taken anything from a tip without the knowledge of the tip operatives. I am not sure what they do is strictly legal, but I am often appalled at the things people take to the tip that have plenty of life left in them and could be Freegled, given to a charity shop, or even put in an auction sale.

Maggiemaybe Fri 05-Mar-21 18:36:46

Take a tin of paint to the tip, you pay £1.50. Take 5 tins and it is £7.50. We took a lttle wooden toboggan DH made for our children years ago. The man lookes at it, said 'Did you make that?' Yes, says DH proudly - £1.50 to pay said tip attendant. Yet we would not have been charged if the toboggan had been a bought plastic one

I'm gobsmacked, M0nica. That makes no sense whatsoever!