Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Two Lobes or No Lobes ! that is the question.

(25 Posts)
kennyh Mon 12-Apr-21 19:57:42

Ear we go! Has anybody else noticed that there are more & more people with no dangly ear lobes. Take for an instance Ben Shepard, Tipping point fame. The ear lobe is stretched into his cheeks. Then you get the reality shows with the young yuppies, watch & see how many have no ear lobes. It seems the human race are evolving into superhumans, not your normal Joe Bloggs, but one thing is for sure we will never know the answer, as the truth will not come out until the year 2070. And I do not think anyone on this site will still be around by then.

Newatthis Sun 18-Apr-21 18:07:29

Yews, I've noticed this. I think a 2 lobe person is more attractive which of course depends on the size and shape of their ears.

BlueBelle Sun 18-Apr-21 18:29:15

This is a ridiculous thread

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 18-Apr-21 19:02:58

I wonder what purpose ear lobes fulfil?
and once they have all gone, will they be missed? Apart from earring wearers of course.

Hmmmm

Mollygo Tue 20-Apr-21 08:32:59

Oopsadaisy1 some seem to have so many piercings on other parts of their ears -perhaps they’ve already noticed.

Aldom Tue 20-Apr-21 08:47:00

Far from being a ridiculous thread. Google Genetics of Earlobes. A very interesting subject, actually. A pity to be so dismissive about it.

Grandma70s Tue 20-Apr-21 08:58:22

I have attached ear lobes. My late husband, a geneticist, found this very interesting. I have never given it any thought myself, and come to think of it, I have no idea whether my ‘children’ (in their forties now) have them or not.

honeyrose Tue 20-Apr-21 09:01:07

I’ve not noticed this, but will be doing so from now on! I find it interesting and not at all ridiculous.

Grannynannywanny Tue 20-Apr-21 09:03:09

What I’ve noticed about ear lobes recently are those who favour lobes with large holes in them and large rings embedded in them. Ouch!

The young man who cut my hair recently was sporting them. Apparently they start small and stretch the holes further with larger diameter rings in stages. It’s a style that seems to be favoured by folk who are into lots of body art.

I wonder if the holes eventually close up again if the rings are permanently removed?

Mollygo Tue 20-Apr-21 09:14:30

Gnw I remember seeing things like that in a general knowledge book I had as a child. The pictures then were of people in deepest darkest African tribes. It’s taken a long time for the fashion to get over here, and I’m sorry I think it is SO ugly.

FannyCornforth Tue 20-Apr-21 09:21:08

It's a brilliant thread, thank you!

FannyCornforth Tue 20-Apr-21 09:23:27

Gnw I think that if those ear tunnel things are removed, you are left with a pendulous loop of skin. I think that people have surgery to have them lopped off. Bleurgh.

Shinamae Tue 20-Apr-21 09:28:16

Note to self.............checkout Ben Shepard’s earlobes...?

timetogo2016 Tue 20-Apr-21 09:40:55

I have noticed different ear lobes,and mine seem to be getting longer ,yuk.

lemsip Tue 20-Apr-21 09:51:42

Ears seem to continue growing as we get older. I used to have neat little ears but if I pull hair back I see they are much larger and even stick out more because of my glasses......... Don't know what we'd hang the glasses on if we didn't have them lol......

Welshwife Tue 20-Apr-21 10:31:10

A bit off topic but when I was a child we had a series a books about people of the world. I was totally fascinated by pictures of African women with elongated necks supported by layers of rings around their necks. My mother told me these rings were added as the women grew and could not longer be removed because of the support they gave.
I used to wonder if they made their necks itch and how they washed their necks!

nightowl Tue 20-Apr-21 10:32:22

Grannynannywanny I think it depends how long those ear tunnels are in place as to whether they eventually close up. My daughter had them in her teens (I tried I really tried wink) but only for a few years and she now has slightly enlarged ear piercings. She wears normal earrings and when she has none in she just had a slight crease where the piercing is. I believe the larger the tunnel and the longer it’s in place this is less likely.

henetha Tue 20-Apr-21 10:34:31

I''ve often noticed that some people have strange earlobes.
Mine seem to be the sort on which it is easy to hang earrings.

Mollygo Tue 20-Apr-21 10:35:32

Welshwife I think we had the same book!?

nanna8 Tue 20-Apr-21 10:38:21

Mine were so tiny as to be practically non existent but they have grown to a normal size after I turned about 50. That’s also when I got wisdom teeth. Some of us take a long time to grow up !

Grannynannywanny Tue 20-Apr-21 10:46:17

The first time I saw those ear tunnels in real life was when my son brought a friend home from uni. I could feel my eyes being drawn to his ears each time I spoke to him.

Apologies, I’ve sidetracked the thread talking about holey lobes!

Aldom Tue 20-Apr-21 11:05:49

Who remembers the National Geographic magazine and the wonderful photographs of African people wearing neck and earrings?

cornishpatsy Tue 20-Apr-21 11:42:55

Are people aware of Franks sign, it is a crease in the ear lobe linked to heart disease.

I have not included a link as there are so many, better to google and read a site that you trust.

Blossoming Tue 20-Apr-21 12:26:26

I have unattached lobules but I haven’t noticed any people with attached lobules. Now you’ve pointed it out I’m going to peer at people’s ears. I may even carry a notebook to record my observations.

How do they keep face masks on?

Jaxjacky Tue 20-Apr-21 13:23:03

I’m going to be looking at peoples earlobes now, obsessively. Before this thread, it had never occurred to me, informative, thank you OP.