Gransnet forums

Site stuff

View Profiles?

(21 Posts)
mamarclaire Fri 06-May-11 11:44:46

I am sure it is me being thick but cannot seem to find how to view people's profiles on here. Please someone point me in the right direction smile

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 06-May-11 12:40:03

Hi there mamarclaire, click on a username in any thread to see their profile. Not everyone has created one - you'll only be able to see those that gransnetters have created and made public.
Hope that helps!

lucyjordan Wed 11-May-11 11:35:14

Ah that answered my query too,

Am i right in thinking that the profiles you can view are displayed in blue and those you cant are just plain black? Or do you have to run your cursor over every name to find one that works,

also how can you see who is online at the present time? Does this facility exist or am i wasting my time looking?

Angelwispa Wed 11-May-11 12:41:56

Hi ladies, I agree that it would be good to see who is online and would also like to see more people creating their profiles. It would be good to have an email notification too for when someone has replied to a thread/post that we may be following, any chance of that happening? smile

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 11-May-11 15:16:32

lucyjordan, you've got it - blue means they've got a profile you can view, black means they don't.
We don't currently have a way of seeing who's online. We're concentrating on getting everything up and running at the moment, but it's definitely something we'd consider in the future. Anyone else think that'd be useful?

Angelwispa - we don't have a way of doing that at the moment, although again, we'll definitely pass on the request to the powers-that-be. The best solution we can offer at the moment is 'I'm watching' (click watch this thread at the top of the thread and 'I'm on'. Both of those pages will show you when there's a new response.

mollie Wed 11-May-11 15:40:39

I've just tried to write my profile and found the page a bit squint...the lower section was pushed to one side and hard to read...hope that's only a temporary blip?

heleena Wed 11-May-11 17:09:12

I have made my profile public but it isn't 'blue' when I look at my posts. Can't see my photos either. I would like to see who is on line also

heleena Wed 11-May-11 17:09:54

Anyone tell me how to add a 'smiley'?

nanamo Wed 11-May-11 21:46:06

Mollie sounds as if you having the same problems as me, my page is squint (lol such a nice word) and every time i hit the save button it sends me round in circles.

glassortwo Wed 11-May-11 22:27:35

I am having the same problem with the " page squint", I have tried to update my profile but when hit save it just returns me to profile page.

lucyjordan Thu 12-May-11 09:31:14

Heleena

Have you checked the box that asks who you want your profile to be viewed by? Im new myself but seem to remember there is one somewhere, I think it might be in edit profile.

I have produced a gallery of photos, but when i go to select photo for profile it comes up with none which i find a bit confusing considering the time i spent sitting here downloading them all.

I know this site is sort of an offspring of MN, but i feel that to presume everybody who joins here is also a member of MN and knows how that site works and therefore will know the machinations of this one, is a little bit presumptious and also dangerous, because many people especially older ones who are only just getting into computers could find it very offputting.

I myself am no stranger to computers or sites such as this, but im beginning to loose some of my enthusiasm thats for sure.

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 12-May-11 10:15:14

Wow lots of questions here. I'm so sorry you're having problems with the My Gransnet section of the site. It's most definitely NOT because we presume everyone will be a member of Mumsnet and know how it works - it's probably just because we missed something along the way of creating the site. We really, really want to make Gransnet as easy to use as possible, so any thoughts or suggestions will always be gratefully received - and we'll be looking at everything you've mentioned so far.

So, firstly, heleena's question about smileys - there are instructions to the right of the 'Add your comment here' box that you type your message into (handy in case you forget like me!). You'll also find instructions there on how to make your posts bold or italic and to make your links clickable. If the instructions aren't clear enough, do let us know!

With regards to profiles, we're aware that there's a problem with some people's profiles not being clickable even though they should be. We will be fixing this asap, as we know it's confusing. Please bear with us (I know I seem to say that a lot at the moment!).

lucyjordan, your photos should appear as a dropdown list next to 'Show picture' when you're editing your profile, but 'None' is the automatic choice. Are they not appearing there?

When you say squint (great word!) could you just explain a bit more what the problem is? I'm not sure it's quite 'tech' vocabulary! grin Could you confirm which page it was on - when you're editing your profile, or when you're viewing it?

As you can see, Tech has lots to be getting on with, but when he's at a loose end, we'll explain some of your other requests and see how feasible they are.

lucyjordan Thu 12-May-11 10:41:43

Josie i have found the box that says show picture, but the only choice in the drop down menu is none.

lucyjordan Thu 12-May-11 10:45:29

I have also checked the boxes in my galleries and all pictures are selected to be viewed by gransnetters.

Is there anything else i need to do?

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 12-May-11 10:54:38

If none of your pictures' names are coming up underneath 'None' in the menu, I think it's a technical glitch - nothing more to be done your end.

I'll ask Tech to take a look now (I am going to be his least favourite person this morning...)

MrsJamJam Thu 12-May-11 11:06:53

Josie - just created my own profile and on the bottom of the page the right hand side is missing so that some things can't be completed at the moment. The button to allow others to see my profile is missing so I can't click it. Am assuming this is just a glitch and I'll have another go tomorrow. It'll take me that long to find a photo I could publish!

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 12-May-11 11:27:52

We've got tech working on your page squint - despite the fact that we love the idea - and all your other problems to do with profiles....sorry about this.

Hope you don't need reassuring that it's absolutely nothing to do with whether people have been on Mumsnet before. There are no special categories here. Please bear with us. We hope to have this working with fabulous efficiency very very soon.

lucyjordan Thu 12-May-11 12:15:33

Thanks Geraldine for your help and assurances

Swedenana Thu 12-May-11 15:36:38

I'm getting the page squint too, so the technical whizzes must still be working on it. I guess that as this site is so new there are bound to be teething problems that we all have to be patient with. Kind of exciting though, to be in at the get-go, as our American cousins would say. smile

Tech (GNHQ) Thu 12-May-11 21:26:53

Hi, Sorry about this profile problem. We've found the cause of it and we'll put in a fix. It means shutting everything down though, so we'll have to do it overnight. It should be working in the morning. Sorry for the hassle, Tech

heleena Tue 31-May-11 18:43:30

Are peoples still having problems with showing their profiles or are they just shy? It would be nice to see a few more profiles available even with just basic info would be goodsmile so we have an idea of who we are chatting with