Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Where are you?

(7 Posts)
heleena Thu 19-May-11 08:19:44

Not quite sure if this is the right place to post this. Is there - and if not could there poss be - a forum for Where are you? to locate others wishing to make contact with people living in their own part of the country? smile Please

grandmacwtch Thu 19-May-11 08:49:14

bumped the thread up for you heleena x

senua Thu 19-May-11 09:08:53

This is what I don't understand about gransnet.confused. What you are asking for is already there on MN. As is a proper search facility. And I think the rule on 'chat' might be different (on MN a chat thread 'dies' after 90 days, haven't seen the same rule here). etc, etc.

So why is GN so different to MN? Why didn't they just copy'n'paste the site? Why have they re-invented the wheel?

glassortwo Thu 19-May-11 09:33:52

heleena I have just posted on another thread which has lots of grans locations if its any good for you, its in House and Home.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 19-May-11 10:17:35

Thanks for all this...Heleena, happy to provide a 'where are you?' forum. Lots of people want to be anonymous, but lots more would like to meet up in the real world, and we're keen on this. (In time, we hope to have a Gransnet local, like Mumsnet local). We didn't add it in right at the beginning because we didn't have any members and so didn't know what everyone would want, but we'll get tech onto it now.

senua - Some of the differences from MN are to do with us thinking we could improve on a design which had sort of grown up organically. And some of them are to do with being a fledgling site. For instance, the 90 day rule doesn't exist because we couldn't think that far ahead (!) when we launched. We've been surprised by how many members we've had so we may well have to bring it in.

Ditto with search. We do have a search button, obviously, but it's not as complicated as on MN because there's not so much to search. We wanted to keep things as simple as possible for newbies. But if people want a more advanced search facility as the forums get more congested, then we'll bring one in. So do please keep the suggestions coming. We'll do our best to respond.

Mamanana Thu 19-May-11 13:08:17

It would be good if more of us made our profile public by choosing the option at the bottom of the profile menu. Just basic details are not really infringing much privacy.
When I see a name in blue I check out the profile to see if it's someone living in the same county. -Where else should I post this to encourage people to see it? I'd love to develop some local friendships smile

CatherineHGransnet Thu 19-May-11 16:45:22

Mamanana - post it in our new Where are you? section here