Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Old chat

(10 Posts)
absentgrana Fri 15-Jul-11 12:52:57

What happens to threads that have petered out or never really took off in the first place? Obviously some topics enjoy a second or even third wind so I'm not suggesting that the threads are cut willy nilly, but are all these postings – some of mine are very silly – going to last into eternity or at least until the server collapses under the weight?

On re-reading this, I wonder if the lovely ladies who look after us should change their names to Clotho (drawing out the thread), Lachesis (measuring its length) and Atropos (cutting it). wink

jangly Fri 15-Jul-11 14:09:37

Do you mean the "threads I'm on" absentgrna? If so, I've thought the same. On the other place (mumsnetwink) they leave them for only three days but on here they seem to go on and on. Perhaps they are wanting to keep the amount of chat going to establish the website? I don't know. There's got to be a cut-off point, hasn't there? grin

absentgrana Fri 15-Jul-11 14:57:32

jangly are you suggesting that my postings are the kiss of death? grin I just meant topics that are no longer topical or have been comprehensively discussed or just didn't interest more than a couple of people and then only briefly. Three days seems a bit abrupt – I had a month or two in mind. That grinning face is a bit of a nightmare isn't it?

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 15-Jul-11 16:16:19

Hello, thanks for pointing this out, absentgrana. We'll take a look at how this system works.

Were you just talking about threads in the topic 'Chat', like on 'the other place'? Or are you talking about all threads?

Part of the great thing about Gransnet is that people can always search the wisdom of the forums for what they want - like how to grow sunflowers, or make the perfect Victoria sponge. It seems like a bit of a shame to make that info expire.

jangly Fri 15-Jul-11 18:09:14

I wasn't suggesting anything absentgrana!!! wink

Still don't know what you're on about. Never mind, Josi obviously does. grin

jangly Fri 15-Jul-11 18:24:11

Its nice having a Geraldine or a Josi there in the background, isn't it? Sort of makes you feel all warm, and looked after. { hugs Josi } smile

jangly Fri 15-Jul-11 18:24:31

grin

absentgrana Sat 16-Jul-11 11:54:46

Hi JosieGransnet I don't know about "the other place"; I've never been there. I was wondering more than suggesting anything, but some stuff, not just in Chat, has lost its oomph or didn't really take off in the first place – there's a nice bit of mixed metaphors. Some is particularly topical – not just media stuff – and will eventually cease to be of interest and possibly even become incomprehensible. I suppose the ideal system would be to archive anything that might remain interesting – growing sunflowers or Victoria sponge – and having some sort of list or something for access. Otherwise, the whole thing could become extremely difficult to navigate and might actually put off some grans from bothering.

ps I know you don't grow the perfect Victoria sponge, you buy it from M & S.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 16-Jul-11 12:31:55

Hi absentgrana - always worth checking the 'active' tab for the threads that are ongoing. Things that peter out will 'fall off' that (until, as you say, they hit their second (or indeed third) wind) so by using that option you'll steer clear of anything that's not current. Hopefully that will make it easier? It is a sort of 'self-archiving' system you could say.

And then there is always the 'search the forums' option if you want to dig out anything that's not been active for a while.

Hope that helps - but it is something we will keep looking at

absentgrana Sat 16-Jul-11 12:53:21

CariGransnet Thanks.