Gransnet forums

Site stuff

No sports category on Gransnet?

(37 Posts)
JessM Thu 25-Aug-11 20:03:53

Are we making assumptions again Geraldine and co?
We had an active thread on Wimbledon not so long ago.
We have the Rugby World Cup coming up and the World Athletics Championship. Not to mention you-know-what next summer. Would it be good to have a sports category do we think?
Here's my trivial sports news of the day... Apparently Brian O'Driscoll, long term captain of Irish rugby team slept on the very couch upon which I perch. I think because my niece didn't fancy him as much as he did her...
I think this trumps my son's story about sharing a jacuzzi with some of the All Blacks...

em Thu 25-Aug-11 20:16:20

Leaping to the defence of G and co!!
Their original threads were just suggestions and some of the most interesting have grown from comments, questions and ideas from contributors (eg G and co didn't start the fornication thread!!)
So we'll expect you to get one going?

JessM Thu 25-Aug-11 20:28:15

Hi Em. Not being stroppy - just having a little poke. Quite funny to think about the s teamitting round brainstorming what kind of subjects we might be involved in. Was Knitting the first thing they came up with - bet it was near the top? smile
It's the list of categories that could be extended. Should sport threads go under Culture? TV? Exercise? Doesn't quite fit anywhere.

Jacey Thu 25-Aug-11 20:42:54

Come on GNHQ ...I agree with JessM ...lots of us follow sport ...not just the Grandads on here ...I know we can post about anything ...but it would be better to keep all the sporting threads together ...so we can refer back and /or up-date them smile

Anne58 Thu 25-Aug-11 20:47:28

Ashamed to admit that the only sport that I have any interest in, and passion for is racing blush

Jacey Thu 25-Aug-11 21:30:31

As in horses? confused

JessM Thu 25-Aug-11 21:42:57

Hi Phoenix. If it is good enough for the Queen, why are you ashamed?

jackyann Thu 25-Aug-11 22:05:23

Hey Phoenix - another one here (although I admit to enjoying many other sports as a spectator) - on the "5 expensive gifts" thread I put "a racehorse". But I'm a girl for the muddy jumps rather than the posh flat.

The only exercise I enjoy is swimming & walking, but I follow other sports.

My little brush with fame is that for a while, one of my sons could claim to have taken more runs off Monty Panesar than Sachin Tendulka (from when he & Monty both played in Luton, aged about 11!)

The sport I follow most is rugby (union) - I'm a Saints fan, as DH shares that.

Annobel Thu 25-Aug-11 22:21:08

So looking forward to the Rugby World Cup, although some of the matches will be in very early hours. May have a few disputes with my All Blacks supporting sister though!

Anne58 Fri 26-Aug-11 00:33:10

Oh how lovely to see that I'm not alone!

Yes, it is the horses, and although I tolerate the Flat, (any racing is better than none!) over the sticks is my personal favourite!

Will be glad to see Ruby back after yet another injury, some may know what and who I mean, and the hihlight of my week is Racing Club on Saturday lunchtime. (Will explain another time, for those ho might be interested, but must go to bed now)

Night all.

Notsogrand Fri 26-Aug-11 00:47:28

Night phoenix. I'm not a horse racing fan, but I usually do quite well each year with my bets on the Grand National. grin

susiecb Fri 26-Aug-11 08:42:00

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oldgreymare Fri 26-Aug-11 08:53:57

I was introduced to Racing (as in horse) by No.2 son who has a passion for it too. I wondered why the 'Flat' tailed off in August, he enlightened me:
Apparently the nobs go off shooting the grouse after the glorious 12th and lose interest in the nags for a time!
Phoenix... I was at Cheltenham when Ruby was doing particularly well, a loud voice was heard, coming from the stands, singing lustily....

Ruby Ruby Ruby ( Kaiser Chiefs)grin

absentgrana Fri 26-Aug-11 09:57:25

I think a separate forum for sports is a good idea. Those who are interested will know where to look and those, like me, who tend to refer to it as sprot and don't like it, can avoid all references. By the way, a thread on fornication is fine, but I don't think we actually need a forum on the subject. grin

glassortwo Fri 26-Aug-11 10:04:37

I follow Football, of course being a Geordie it would have to be Newcastle United, so I would welcome some football talk grin

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 26-Aug-11 10:39:21

Wow, so much enthusiasm for sports - fantastic! We'd be more than happy to start a forum for sports. (secret tennis addict over here!)

As em and others have said, the first topics list was just a starting point, and we really wanted you to ask for topics you wanted. We must have been fuzzy from too many late nights around launch not to have thought of this. Any others - we're all ears.

I'll ask Tech to get on it now.

Jacey Fri 26-Aug-11 10:44:10

Thanx Josie smile

JessM Fri 26-Aug-11 11:13:36

Ah jackyann were you there in the MK stadium at the Heiniken semi-final? Rugby something we have both come to enjoy but when Wales plays Ireland we are supporting different teams!

Jacey Tue 30-Aug-11 11:12:35

Josie GNHQ ...I keep checking ...still no Sport in the Forum sad

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 30-Aug-11 11:17:19

Thanks for the reminder Jacey. It's on its way at a lightning speed (more of a marathon runner than a sprinter grin).

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 30-Aug-11 17:28:39

Knitting was not the first thing we came up with, as I have tried to learn to knit three times and still can't do it.

And it is just as well Josie is here to sort this out, because I have been too depressed even to think about sport this week. I am an Arsenal season ticket holder. Nuff said....

Annobel Tue 30-Aug-11 17:33:31

Geraldine wine wine wine
You need a bit of oblivion!

JessM Tue 30-Aug-11 18:04:22

Not going to start the footie thread then GG?

Soupy Tue 30-Aug-11 18:44:54

Yesssss I was there for the Saints HCup semi final at the MK Dons Stadium - and I'm a Wasp!!

Wonderful drumming outside from some Perpignan supporters afterwards.

JessM Tue 30-Aug-11 19:06:20

Oh I missed the drumming - but i seem to remember they did a bit at half time. it was scorching hot day wasn't it - i was handing round my suncream. Bit different to today!