Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Polite request, even though I think I may have asked before........

(26 Posts)
phoenix Wed 01-May-19 20:33:10

Please, those lovely members who start various "games" threads,

WILL YOU PLEASE STOP USING CAPITAL LETTERS IN THE THREAD TITLE!

It's like being shouted at!

Victoria Wood once remarked that reading a library book in large print felt like being shouted at, I know what she means.

jura2 Wed 01-May-19 20:34:31

ah thanks for shouting long and loud in your thread title ;)

phoenix Wed 01-May-19 20:38:04

I didn't! Only 1 capital letter on the word "Polite", which as the first word of a sentence, should be correct, surely?

lemongrove Wed 01-May-19 20:40:13

WHAT? AM A BIT HARD OF HEARING.?

kittylester Wed 01-May-19 20:44:51

jura confused

I agree it is not exclusively games threads!

MawBroonsback Wed 01-May-19 20:48:02

I see no shouty capitals Jura confused

phoenix Wed 01-May-19 20:53:07

What have I got wrong this time?

Tangerine Wed 01-May-19 20:57:15

I understand your point Phoenix but perhaps people don't mean anything by it. They just happen to type headings in capital letters.

phoenix Wed 01-May-19 21:01:47

Tangerine I'm sure that they don't mean anything by it BUT WHY DO THEY DO IT? wink

Actually, why put any thread title in capitals?

jura2 Wed 01-May-19 21:04:18

Ooops, yes, my mistake, not in the title, but in the first comment - a whole line.

Tangerine Wed 01-May-19 21:06:53

I am aware that it is "shouting" but some people may not know this. They have probably not thought about it. We're all different and I suppose we get aggravated by different things.

jura2 Wed 01-May-19 21:15:00

Exactly Tangering- took me a while to realise capitals are considered 'shouting' by netiquette- instead of what I would have considered as emphasizing like bold. Was only jesting as I don't mind - golly for sure there are more important things to get ariated about!

Charleygirl5 Wed 01-May-19 21:18:00

phoenix I totally agree. There is one thread at present, RATS. Silly me thought it was an acronym for something but no, it is the 4 legged creatures which I hate.

phoenix Wed 01-May-19 22:15:11

Jura2 I put the first line of the post in CAPITALS to emphasise my point!

Charleygirl thank you for agreeing!

phoenix Wed 01-May-19 22:16:52

Oops, forgot to thank kitty too.

BradfordLass72 Thu 02-May-19 06:40:23

I always read: "SAY HOW YOU ARE FEELING IN 3 WORDS"

It's like a command; I very much want to answer, 'Totally browned off (with your shouting )"

Bathsheba Thu 02-May-19 07:58:52

Totally agree phoenix. It makes me want to put a rude, shouty response on the thread angry.

But I do think some people aren't aware that caps are considered shouting. There was a poster - haven't seen her for a while - who used to give us long updates about a particular issue she had, and it was peppered with shouty capitals. It was clear that she was using them for emphasis, like underlining or italics, but I found them so hard to read without hearing the (unintended) aggression!

BlueBelle Thu 02-May-19 08:04:30

I agree Phoenix even if people don’t know it’s shouting why would you write a title in capitals ? Unnecessary

Gonegirl Thu 02-May-19 09:49:43

Who said capital letters on the internet have to mean shouting?

Herd mentality?

maryeliza54 Thu 02-May-19 10:03:11

What a thoroughly stupid thing to mind about - it’s not against the guidelines and it hardly ever happens anyway.

Charleygirl5 Thu 02-May-19 10:07:27

Sorry Maryeliza54 but you are wrong. There may not be many threads in capitals today but some days we can have at least 6- well OTT.

Elegran Thu 02-May-19 11:10:33

It doesn't have to be in the guidelines for something in capital letters to "feel" shouty. If you were reading it out loud you would say it very loudly and emphatically so that those hearing it would know that it is VERY IMPORTANT and that they are not to ignore it. It says there is no passing over it and going instead to some other thread - READ THAT FIRST !

In this post, I bet everyone's eyes went first to the black capitals, whether you consciously thought that they were the most interesting part or not.

JackyB Thu 02-May-19 11:50:36

I accept that capitals usually means shouting, but I think that it is a good way to differentiate between the games threads and the others so you can skip them when reading through the active conversations list.

M0nica Fri 03-May-19 08:09:19

Surely everyone knows that CAPS = SHOUTING.

Games threads are always headed 'Games' in blue above the thread title.

Personally I would like to see Games all gathered together on a separate list with a heading alongside Active, I'm on, Watching etc, so that those coming on just to contribute to discussions can skip them and those wanting games do not get them interposed with discussions.

mcem Fri 03-May-19 09:02:58

We've asked many times to have the games grouped together and the requests have always been ignored.
Meantime, I simply use Hide this Discussion on the drop-down menu each time a new game appears.

I do think that using capitals is an attention-seeking device which is not really needed if just starting a new game.