Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Hello GNHQ

(44 Posts)
Gonegirl Fri 18-Oct-19 16:39:13

Can't believe that you now have the 'twat' word on Gransnet Home Page!

Thought you were so precious about what is shown to the world.

Totally confused

matson Fri 18-Oct-19 16:40:49

Hate that word !?

merlotgran Fri 18-Oct-19 16:46:21

Yes, I thought the advice from HQ was to keep offensive words out of thread titles.

Jane10 Fri 18-Oct-19 17:09:37

I tweet, you (pl) tweeted, they twat!

BlueBelle Fri 18-Oct-19 17:13:54

???jane that’s a good one

ZoeGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 18-Oct-19 17:22:40

Hi everyone

We tend not to delete posts simply on the grounds of bad language. Gransnet exists for users to swap advice about all manner of things and, as in real life, some of our members may use swear words. That said, we would remove posts that are malicious personal attacks.

Gonegirl Fri 18-Oct-19 17:38:08

Well, that's not what you said when I started a thread with 'fuck' in the title. You said "it might show up on the home page". And you took the word out.

Fuck is nothing like as bad as that t word.

Gonegirl Fri 18-Oct-19 17:38:48

put Cari on the line

Jane10 Fri 18-Oct-19 17:42:37

Not sure I'm with you on that gonegirl. Neither is ideal language but slang names for body parts and what people do with those parts is so common now that most people just aren't bothered that much.
It's not even blasphemous.

Gonegirl Fri 18-Oct-19 17:43:48

It's demeaning to women.

Have you no feminism in your makeup at all?

Jane10 Fri 18-Oct-19 18:25:42

No. Obviously I'm a bit of a dick. Oops! blush

Jane10 Fri 18-Oct-19 18:30:28

Och. I've cocked up again.
(I could go on...)

Loislovesstewie Fri 18-Oct-19 18:32:56

Believe it or not but I don't swear usually. However I have been swearing a lot lately, mostly at the television when certain MP's appear. and yes I have called them all that word. I think it sums up how I feel about them. A lot of swear words are based on parts of the body, or curses to do with religion. If you like I'll do it in Spanish or Latin next time!

Oopsminty Fri 18-Oct-19 18:39:38

I don't think that the powers that be understand that this word is similar to the C word.

And I don't mean Christmas

It's usually used by young lads with the word effing infront

Very odd to allow it to stand

The F word is very bland on comparison

MawB Fri 18-Oct-19 19:40:08

message Oopsminty Fri 18-Oct-19 18:39:38
I don't think that the powers that be understand that this word is similar to the C word

Who do you think staffs GNHQ oopsminty?
I am quite sure our GN site “mods” are perfectly au fait with the language of today and its uses.

nanaK54 Fri 18-Oct-19 21:27:06

'tis half-term......just saying wink

Oopsminty Fri 18-Oct-19 21:33:19

*Who do you think staffs GNHQ oopsminty?
I am quite sure our GN site “mods” are perfectly au fait with the language of today and its uses.*

I think that, like many posters on this site, the admin are extremely intelligent and well bred.

I personally didn't know the meaning of this word until I was in my 20s. And after working in Liverpool with disadvantaged youngsters I am now aware of how it is used.

I doubt very much the post would have lasted had the C word been used to describe Mr. Johnson. A word that is also used to describe an awful person.

I find it almost amusing that people think it's an OK word to use.

Urban Dictionary has some great examples of how this word is used.

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Twat

MawB Fri 18-Oct-19 21:38:25

Then why on earth make this comment oopsminty ?
I don't think that the powers that be understand that this word is similar to the C word

(PS to avoid confusion, it is more usual to use ^ ^ round quoting and * * with usernames
#justsaying

kittylester Fri 18-Oct-19 21:39:44

I have to say that the word stops me in my tracks.

Oopsminty Fri 18-Oct-19 21:44:04

I can't quote, MawB.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

And I don't understand the hashtag thing either. Not on here anyway.

I made the comment because I don't think that everyone is familiar with this word's usage/meaning.

I wonder if I'd made a thread using the same word but naming Jo Swinson instead of Boris Johnson.

Would that be allowed?

MawB Fri 18-Oct-19 21:48:42

You are probably leaving a space before or after the word. If it works sometimes, your keyboard must do it.
^ word ^ as opposed to word
The hashtag is on the same keyboard as numbers , middle row, second from the left on my iPad. #####

Oopsminty Fri 18-Oct-19 21:52:20

Thanks, MawB.

That must be why it works sometimes. I really should preview but I forget.

I'm on an Apple MacBook Pro which has a hashtag on the same key as 3 and £.

I'll be damned if I can get the hashtag to work.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 18-Oct-19 21:57:38

Well I reported a post recently that I would consider a personal attack on someone. You said they had replied to it and hadn't reported it so left it in. All very confusing.

Gonegirl Fri 18-Oct-19 22:08:07

The upside down v's (these things ^) have to be completely squished up against the first and last letters of the post, otherwise it doesn't work.

Gonegirl Fri 18-Oct-19 22:09:48

That is actually what Maw said. Sorry Maw.