Gransnet forums

Site stuff

"Go back to Mumsnet!" Mumsnet V Gransnet dilemma...

(79 Posts)
ananimous Sun 19-Jan-20 19:07:17

This tired old form of passive aggressive bullying is unacceptable surely?

Hetty58 Sun 19-Jan-20 19:13:05

ananimous, could you please explain to us why you think it's 'passive aggressive'? I'm at a loss here!

ananimous Sun 19-Jan-20 19:16:32

Sure @Hetty58

It is spiteful in an indirect way.

notanan2 Sun 19-Jan-20 19:20:40

Gransnet is part of MN so it just makes people look silly when they say "MNer" as an insult on here grin

Hetty58 Sun 19-Jan-20 19:22:21

But there's nothing indirect about it!

ananimous Sun 19-Jan-20 19:24:38

Ok... I see the problem here...

phoenix Sun 19-Jan-20 19:25:23

I think there have been a couple of threads on here recently where the Post originator might perhaps have found that posting on MN could have proved useful.

Hetty58 Sun 19-Jan-20 19:27:41

Oh yes, I know that one!

Chewbacca Sun 19-Jan-20 19:29:27

I haven't seen anyone tell another poster to go back to Mumsnet? Has this actually been said?

M0nica Sun 19-Jan-20 19:39:30

I have! And recently. I think any kind of abuse that suggests someone should not be on GN is unacceptable.

In fact I find any kind of personal abuse on GN unacceptable. Sadly, as public discourse has become more aggressive and acrimonious, it has sadly leaked onto GN. Like smoke from a smelly bonfire.

I wish it would stop.

Callistemon Sun 19-Jan-20 19:45:52

phoenix
I think there have been a couple of threads on here recently where the Post originator might perhaps have found that posting on MN could have proved useful.

I suggested that to a poster recently because I sincerely thought (and think) that Mumsnetters may be more on her wavelength and able to help her than Gransnetters.

However, I have also given her the best advice that I can - although the advice was second-hand and based on the experiences of someone who is more Mumsnet age than Gransnet age.

It did not mean that I think she should leave Gransnet if she finds the advice useful, more than I think she should seek views of her peer group.

Yennifer Sun 19-Jan-20 19:50:18

Reads, you aren't welcome here, you aren't wanted here, we don't like your sort here, get lost. Very rude.

notanan2 Sun 19-Jan-20 19:51:50

It did not mean that I think she should leave Gransnet if she finds the advice useful, more than I think she should seek views of her peer group.

There is no specific "peer group" here! Some grans are in their 30s, some in their 90s. Most somewhere in between.

Some posters forget that there is no longer a "parent" generation and a "grandparent" generation.

In a group of mums you could have 2 mums beside each other with new babies and the one on the left could be old enough to be the one on the right's mum or gran!

Callistemon Sun 19-Jan-20 19:52:17

Well, that's not passive aggressive

It's just plain aggressive.

notanan2 Sun 19-Jan-20 19:54:14

A few posters assume that all parents are Millenials and all GPs are boomer and "invasion from MN" is GN code for silly millenial go away

Callistemon Sun 19-Jan-20 19:54:50

Oh well, I meant well.
Obtaining a different viewpoint is always useful if the advice from this forum has been exhausted and we can add no more.

And the poster in question knows I meant well.

So if this thread is aimed at me then it is passive aggressive

But presumably you think it is better to be aggressive notanan?

Is this a thread about a thread?

Yennifer Sun 19-Jan-20 19:57:59

I've seen it said several times by different people. No need to get this thread removed. Just accept its horribly rude!

kittylester Sun 19-Jan-20 19:58:55

What have I missed now?

Callistemon Sun 19-Jan-20 19:59:50

kitty I have no idea!!

It's a thread about a thread.

notanan2 Sun 19-Jan-20 20:05:30

What's "aggressive" about those comments Callistemon?

Plenty of new parents are the same age if not older than some grandparents these days. Being a parent or grandparent doesnt tell you a persons age or even generation any more. MN isnt a "peer group". There are all ages on there at all stages of live.

SirChenjin Sun 19-Jan-20 20:06:02

I’ve said it before - there should be a SqueezedMiddlesNet for those of us who are told they’re too old for MN and too young GN.

Exactly where the hell are we supposed to go?! We’re anything up to 30 years older and more than mums on MN, some of whom are the same age as my DD, and 30-40 years younger than some of the older posters on here. No-one seems to want us!

notanan2 Sun 19-Jan-20 20:07:15

GN is a smaller sub group of MN with slower moving threads which is more managable for some. On MN you can go make a cup of tea and find your thread has suddenly moved on by 4 pages!

Hetty58 Sun 19-Jan-20 20:07:18

I agree with Callistemon:

'the advice from this forum has been exhausted and we can add no more.'

Therefore, it makes logical sense to seek other views. Personally, I feel sorry for all those who offered help and advice. Not much seems to have been acted upon.

Callistemon Sun 19-Jan-20 20:07:45

I think there was a crossed post there, notanan - I was answering what Yennifer said

It took me longer than 37 seconds to type my reply!

Callistemon Sun 19-Jan-20 20:09:21

Oh, I see I typed notanan

Apologies notanan, I meant the OP.