Gransnet forums

Site stuff

This forum, numbers, statistics and a bit of logic?

(147 Posts)
phoenix Tue 31-Mar-20 19:28:53

Evening all, good wishes to you.

Starting by stating the obvious, this is Gransnet. By its very name, the majority of members who might have done an online search looking for forums for those of a like mind, are likely to be women. Some will be men, of course, and I'm sure they are very welcome. Often (not always!) their input can be of great value and enable a different viewpoint on the topic.

Although I have not asked GNHQ for a breakdown of figures (surely they have enough on there plate at present) chances are they might:

A) Not have them (names don't necessarily indicate gender) or:

B) Cannot release the figures due to data protection.

Now, with these things in mind, shall we look at the logic?

With more female members than male, who is more likely to be posting on forums? And (in certain circumstances, and on certain threads) WHO are they likely to be posting about?

In the main, these posts are posted with humour and affection.

Surely they can be accepted and taken as such, without being seen as a "dig" or attack, or put down?

I hope this post is taken in the spirit that it is meant.

Anniebach Tue 31-Mar-20 19:49:44

With you Phoenix

phoenix Tue 31-Mar-20 19:50:36

Thank you, Anniebach, appreciated.

phoenix Tue 31-Mar-20 19:51:51

Damn, just noticed "there" should have been "their" plate!

Callistemon Tue 31-Mar-20 19:59:25

I think any males on the site have the same liberty to start threads about the very irritating habits of women!

Please do, I'd like to know how I can do better grin

Always Strive to Improve Yourself

phoenix Tue 31-Mar-20 20:13:23

Looking forward to reading those, Callistemon as long as I'm not being castigated (big word for a Tuesday) about the fluff that is probably gathering under the sofa, or my shortcomings with regard to sock folding.

Curlywhirly Tue 31-Mar-20 20:26:10

I love the humerous posts, goodness knows we need a bit of humour at the moment. It is obvious, to me at least, that the comments are tongue in cheek; and because the majority of posters are female, the majority of comments are from a female perspective and that suits me just fine. We do love a good (light hearted) moan about our men and sometimes children; we are not doing it behind their backs (as has been suggested) we are quite happy to tell our men the error of their ways! That's just (most but not all) females for you!

Doodle Tue 31-Mar-20 20:27:09

I think many of us phoenix are very happy with our DHs. I have never taken your posts as anything other than humour. Just like when you post about your cats who you obviously adore. There is a big difference between a humorous bit of fun and women who say horrid things about their husbands in front of others. I have never had you in that category.
I dislike women who say awful things about their marriages and put their husbands down., I have never thought you are one of those phoenix. I am fortunate to credit my husband with a good sense of humour and I’m sure he would not
take any offence at your posts. ?

phoenix Tue 31-Mar-20 20:32:41

Thank you Curlywhirly, we all need humour!

Doodle thank you, thank you, you get it!grin

GrannyGravy13 Tue 31-Mar-20 20:32:57

Phoenix we love your humour Mr.GG laughs when I read some of them out........please do not stop due to the fun police.
In this time of crisis all levity is appreciated.
Male posters can always go to Grandads shed

SirChenjin Tue 31-Mar-20 20:33:33

I absolutely agree with you phoenix. I don’t think there are many husbands who would take umbrage at a lighthearted, tongue in cheek dig at some of the things they do - shared humour and being able to laugh at ourselves is what keeps a marriage on track I think. Different story if you’re constantly putting each other down though - that’s not healthy.

phoenix Tue 31-Mar-20 20:38:26

Again, my thanks!

I was a bit uncertain about starting this thread, and tried to phrase it to get across my thoughts in a fairly clear way, that would (I hope) make sense to everyone, if whatever gender and mindset.

SueDonim Tue 31-Mar-20 20:49:45

I’m with you, too, Phoenix. smile

phoenix Tue 31-Mar-20 20:50:07

GrannyGravy13 I don't think we want to divide the sexes,and limit them to certain areas, that could be seen as a rather retrograde step!

Just as we are allowed out of the kitchen, men are allowed out of the shed (metaphorically speaking, both the kitchen and the shed!)

M0nica Tue 31-Mar-20 21:07:41

I never ever post on threads putting down partners, They are demeaning to the posters and their partners.

As for the virtue signallers. As Sir Toby Belch says in Twelfth Night Dost thou think, because thou art virtuous, there shall be no more cakes and ale? Me? I am a cakes and ale person,

phoenix Tue 31-Mar-20 21:23:00

M0nica surely there is a huge difference between "putting down" partners, and enjoying (and sharing) some gentle humour about their foibles?

If you think I have ever posted anything where I have "put down" Mr P, please point it out to me.

Your Twelfth Night quote, which you bring in with regard to virtue signallers, has left me a bit confused

So, to attempt to paraphrase "Just because someone is (or thinks they are ) a good person, they are above "common" pleasures "???

Pretty fond of cakes and ale myself, although not necessarily together.

Callistemon Tue 31-Mar-20 21:31:23

This is not putting down partners
That is something else entirely, demeaning and unkind.

These are amusing anecdotes that could be shared with one's OH and both could have a chuckle about it.

The difference is evident on other threads about demeaning partners of either, or all, sex.

Davidhs Tue 31-Mar-20 21:38:49

OK, so some are grumbling about their men but that’s par for the course, it’s what women do, on Gransnet it’s mostly good natured and only occasionally does it get personal. More often lady posters are arguing with each other and sometimes it gets quite heated, other posters admonish them and it all dies down.

There is a very wide range of opinion on Gransnet which I find interesting and worthwhile, I will argue a point of view when I think it is worthwhile and I try not to be personal, overall it’s a good forum with lots of activity.

M0nica Tue 31-Mar-20 21:53:21

Phoenix No other way round. I have been castigated several times by people for not taking serious subjects seriously enough, because after a considered reply to someone I have made a mildly light-hearted response in the last sentence. Hence the quote.

I actually do not feel comfortable even talking about partners foibles, although I have contributed to threads once or twice. They always sound so patronising. I am far too aware that the pot would be calling the kettle black.

SirChenjin Tue 31-Mar-20 21:56:02

It’s not putting down partners imo - it’s sharing a story about them that is funny and/or infuriating that many of us can relate to. I know my foibles, DH knows his, we poke gentle (and sometimes not so gentle) fun at each other, and we laugh at ourselves - but most importantly we always have each other backs and we are each other’s strongest supporter in good times and bad.

M0nica Tue 31-Mar-20 22:00:21

I still do not like it.

Bathsheba Tue 31-Mar-20 22:16:08

Spot on SirChenjin. Some people take things far too seriously. My DH has been highly amused at some of the recent threads - he's even happy to admit he recognises himself in some of the anecdotes! He doesn't take umbrage, why would he? It's obvious, surely, that it's all lighthearted fun and Heaven knows we need a bit of humour at the moment.

NanaandGrampy Tue 31-Mar-20 22:42:12

Grampy likes to hear of some of the tales here . I asked him if he felt put down by a recent thread I commented on .

He replied that after 43 years of marriage we are in a place where we recognise and accept each other’s faults and some times enjoy a light hearted moan about them !!

So Phoenix I’m with you !! ?

Curlywhirly Tue 31-Mar-20 22:46:25

Well me and my husband would class the comments in question as 'banter' (definition: playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks); it's a way of life where we live, my husband positively thrives on it! We both know that it isn't meant to be hurtful and is tongue in cheek. On our walk today I told him the comments I had added to the conversation and he laughed, he really couldn't have been less bothered. He has a wicked sense of humour and would quite happily have told you all the stories himself.

TwiceAsNice Tue 31-Mar-20 22:49:33

Love your humour Phoenix you have often made me laugh out loud and it is pretty obvious to most I think that what you say is tongue in cheek.

I live on my own very happily but after leaving an abusive marriage I am envious of the kind of marriages talked about sometimes on here. I wish I had been lucky enough to have one.