Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Warning! Scam PM received.

(20 Posts)
Marydoll Thu 06-Aug-20 00:26:54

I have just received a scam PM from Simon6, wanting to get to know me better.

He certainly picked the wrong gran to chat up grin
After giving him a piece of my mind, this savvy gran has reported him and has blocked him. I urge you to do the same if you are lucky enough to receive a PM from him.

I detest scammers, who try to prey on people they think are vulnerable and lonely. Just to make it clear, I'm neither!!! wink
Be wary he probably has multiple user names.

Puzzler61 Thu 06-Aug-20 06:16:46

There are some sad ****s (insert your own word!)
aren’t there?
Thinking kindly, they could be lonely?, or could already have tried similar on other free forums and been found out - if the intentions of this person are not honourable.

I’m glad you reported it Marydoll, and am also happy you found your “Oomph” to give the person a flea in their ear ?

Pantglas2 Thu 06-Aug-20 06:35:33

Miss Marydoll is back, Puzzler?

Puzzler61 Thu 06-Aug-20 06:57:20

We miss her skool time too don’t we Pants?
And Miss Charley ‘s regime ?
I’ve been in danger of getting very unruly since MissMarydoll took sick leave.
? Get better soon.

Esspee Thu 06-Aug-20 07:02:39

Marydoll Unless the message was inappropriate perhaps it was a genuine attempt to get to know you. Couldn't you just accept it as a compliment and say thanks but no thanks?

Pantglas2 Thu 06-Aug-20 07:10:21

Ooh Puzzler ewe az orlwaze bean unroolee ?

And yes I’m missing Miss and Skool!

Puzzler61 Thu 06-Aug-20 07:15:58

???

MawB Thu 06-Aug-20 07:30:41

Esspee

Marydoll Unless the message was inappropriate perhaps it was a genuine attempt to get to know you. Couldn't you just accept it as a compliment and say thanks but no thanks?

Snort! gringrin

Marydoll Thu 06-Aug-20 07:44:28

Espee, it's lovely of you to think kindly of Simon6, you obviously have never had any of these messages before and it was obvious what he wanted.

He has numerous friends, (or the same person) who send messages in the middle of the night to multiple grans. They do this because GN is quiet or they are in another timezone. I worry about lonely and vulnerable people responding.

Having been on GN for a long time, I know this because , I have had a few similar PMs in the past and others have also posted about them and reported.
One I remember was, Will, who targetted frequent and well known posters. These men either think I'm damned attractive and have plenty money or I'm gullible. I'm neither!
Everything is not always as it seems on GN!.

PS, Espee, I was very polite and thanked him for his interest, then I gave him a piece of my mind.

Galaxy Thu 06-Aug-20 07:47:26

I wish this whole being kind thing had never started, it's terrible advice.

rafichagran Thu 06-Aug-20 07:54:20

He is a sad chancer, you did the right thing.

Lucca Thu 06-Aug-20 08:01:25

When I lived in a flat in London with three other girls we got a few phone calls from a heavy breather who called himself Peter and liked to tell us the dimensions of his “ equipment “.
A day or two before Christmas he rang and my friend answered and said “oh p.... off Peter”.
“ I was on,ly ringing to say merry Christmas “ he said huffily.

Marydoll Thu 06-Aug-20 08:49:34

Bumping this, as there are lots of new posters, who will be unaware of these people and may be taken in.

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 06-Aug-20 10:26:58

Hi all,

Just to let you know that we have dealt with this, but if you do ever receive a PM you are unsure about, you can report it to us by using the report function on the message, or email us with the details at [email protected]. smile

TrendyNannie6 Thu 06-Aug-20 10:29:49

Well I had one can’t remember who is was from and went to view and it said this post deleted, made me wonder who and why

Marydoll Thu 06-Aug-20 10:34:19

Thank you Natasha. I'm too savvy to be seduced by an unsolicited PM, however it would be easy to be if you were feeling very lonely in the middle of the night.

TrendyNannie, you should always report.

jaylucy Thu 06-Aug-20 10:41:07

I had that problem after I filled in a questionaire on GN about my experience with dating websites.
I was also sent a PM giving details of 2 dating websites that were also unsolicited , even though there was no option to opt out of receiving any further contact. Annoying!

Mancjules Thu 06-Aug-20 11:09:11

I would advise never filling out any online questionnaires...the detailed info you may give can be sold on.

Alexa Thu 06-Aug-20 11:11:35

What good advice, M. I really needed to know that.

Alexa Thu 06-Aug-20 11:14:28

Lucca, I loved your story! When I was working in medical/public telecommunications we had one of those. When I explained our time was for the sake of some very ill people he apologised very nicely.