Gransnet forums

Site stuff

pop up consent form today

(33 Posts)
Oopsadaisy3 Fri 14-Aug-20 14:16:26

Dear GN
I had a pop up on my screen today, I did not want to consent to any of your headings, but I wasn’t given an option on some of them, so I reluctantly pressed the Consent button.
Can you tell me why we weren’t warned about this and why we had to consent to get onto the GN site today .
this is also on the AIBU thread.

EDIT by GNHQ: Please see more info on the new consent form here

Puzzler61 Fri 14-Aug-20 14:17:19

I would like to know too please.

MaizieD Fri 14-Aug-20 14:20:45

I think that many of us would like to know.

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 14-Aug-20 14:24:41

At the end of the day many GNers aren’t bothered by having their keyboard clicks monitored and having the info gathered, I guess it depends on how important GN is to each of us.
Do I want my DHS and ACs ( when they come to stay ) keyboard clicks recorded as well?
Unless I am reassured that this will not happen I won’t be back after today and will delete the account to that they can’t sneak onto my IPad.
Sad but hey ho it seems to be the way the internet is going.

SueDonim Fri 14-Aug-20 14:26:32

I want to know, too. I clicked on the Manage Options link and there were loads of things.

FarNorth Fri 14-Aug-20 14:29:19

I witlessly clicked Consent, as I usually do to cookies, but if this is more intrusive I could be giving up on GN.

Info needed GNHQ.

FindingNemo15 Fri 14-Aug-20 14:30:03

The only way I could get on GN was to hit consent. Is this right? Not at all happy.

Oopsminty Fri 14-Aug-20 14:30:37

I didn't get a message at all!

jusnoneed Fri 14-Aug-20 14:34:13

Handled very poorly, they should of explained the reasons before giving us no choice in the matter. I hit off all the consent buttons I could but there were some that we were given no choice over.

Eloethan Fri 14-Aug-20 14:38:34

I ticked consent too - partly because the explanatory panel I found difficult to understand and navigate. Perhaps I too need to think about leaving Gransnet.

Bathsheba Fri 14-Aug-20 14:39:40

I clicked on 'manage options' and yes, there were loads of things, but I doggedly scrolled down and toggled every single one. Took me a while, but I get so annoyed at things defaulting to me consenting. Really should not be that way, grrrr. And there could at least be a 'toggle all' button, instead of forcing us to laboriously scroll through the whole damn lot angry

nanaK54 Fri 14-Aug-20 14:41:06

Hmmm - I am another wondering what I have actually consented to

EllanVannin Fri 14-Aug-20 14:43:12

Nearly everything now needs consent. I just press and hope for the best while fearing the worst grin

EllanVannin Fri 14-Aug-20 14:44:20

Big Brother anyone ?

Chewbacca Fri 14-Aug-20 14:44:26

Poor show GNHQ. You could at least have done us the courtesy of warning us that this was in the pipeline and given us the opportunity to think about it. Rude and invasive behaviour.

MiniMoon Fri 14-Aug-20 14:48:14

Yes, I too hit consent, but I would like to know why GNHQ saw fit to spring this on us.
I'm not happy about it either.

Jane10 Fri 14-Aug-20 14:48:59

Some of the options automatically changed back what I had chosen. Not happy.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 14-Aug-20 15:07:35

I clicked on consent I am on my iPhone with baby GC asleep on my lap (he is in our bubble) I was not fully concentrated so I have no idea what I have consented to ??

Jane10 Fri 14-Aug-20 15:13:06

And they introduce it on a Friday afternoon...

Urmstongran Fri 14-Aug-20 15:13:39

I just clicked ‘consent’. What’s the worst that can happen?
I can always leave down the line if I have regrets.

B9exchange Fri 14-Aug-20 15:16:22

I went through and religiously removed consent from everything I could, took quite a while and a bit of concentrating. I don't mind as a one off, but I had a spell when GN insisted I review my consent options every single time I logged on, protests were ignored, and then mercifully it did stop. If I had to go through all that lot every day, then I might not come back.

seacliff Fri 14-Aug-20 15:17:03

I want to back and check it now, cannot seem to find it.

Maggiemaybe Fri 14-Aug-20 15:21:32

I think I had the option not to consent to anything, but might have got that wrong! It's hard to be sure, when you can't go back for another look.

sodapop Fri 14-Aug-20 15:29:55

Eloethan

I ticked consent too - partly because the explanatory panel I found difficult to understand and navigate. Perhaps I too need to think about leaving Gransnet.

Exactly what I did Eleoethan now I am annoyed with myself for doing that and with GN for putting me in that position.
I too will reconsider using this forum.

AGAA4 Fri 14-Aug-20 15:38:49

Having put this pop up on our screens today and in view of the response GNHQ are very quiet. It is a shame that many may leave if this isn't explained to us properly.