Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Another change

(32 Posts)
sodapop Sat 15-Aug-20 15:37:25

Why can't I read the original post on subsequent pages now. I have to return to the first page. Is it just me ?

Jaxjacky Sat 15-Aug-20 15:42:41

I can see it ok?

BlueBelle Sat 15-Aug-20 15:43:29

I think it might be only you sodapop I can see it on subsequent pages

Chewbacca Sat 15-Aug-20 15:45:58

Mine is ok.

Bathsheba Sat 15-Aug-20 16:06:24

Well I’m with you here sodapop because I’ve noticed this for a while now. Oddly though I’m sure I recall that the first time I noticed it I was able to click on ‘see full post’. But now it’s not possible.

On the subject of changes - a few days ago there was an option at the bottom of the OP which said something like ‘see all OP’s posts’ and if I tapped it I had a view of every post the OP had posted on that thread. There was another option saying something like ‘see full thread’, to go back to the standard view. This feature was missing the next day and I haven’t seen anyone on here mention it!

And no, I wasn’t dreaming, I promise ?

sodapop Sat 15-Aug-20 21:39:13

Maybe we are living in a parallel universe Bathsheba smile

monk08 Sat 15-Aug-20 22:50:48

Bathsheba you weren't dreaming I saw it also

Esspee Sat 15-Aug-20 23:08:26

Bathsheba are you perhaps confusing it with mumsnet?

What drives me crazy is that it says on gransnet under the message box “@username to reply to someone directly” while this works on mumsnet it doesn’t work on gransnet. This is hugely frustrating as someone may have responded to something you’ve written but if you don’t go back onto that thread you wouldn’t know that the response is there.

Bathsheba Sun 16-Aug-20 16:28:33

Bathsheba are you perhaps confusing it with mumsnet?
No.

Bathsheba you weren't dreaming I saw it also
Thanks monk08, I feel vindicated now grin

janeainsworth Sun 16-Aug-20 16:37:26

I noticed it yesterday sodapop, using my mobile. I haven’t looked at the desktop.
Depending on my mood, it’s either slightly irritating, or really, really annoying. ?

Elegran Sun 16-Aug-20 17:04:40

A few days ago, someone pointed out some other transient change (I forget what). A moderator replied that they had been trying out changing a few things, and one of them had temporarily gone live. Perhaps they were trying out the things you noticed, and you happened to sign in while they were showing?

I thought that when I was constructing a couple of websites many years ago, you could make changes on a copy of the code for a page of the site, make sure everything worked OK on a local PC, and then swap it in for the previous version - but what do I know?

Chewbacca Sun 16-Aug-20 17:16:57

but what do I know?

From the looks of it, a great deal more than the techies at Gransnet Towers Elegran!

Peardrop50 Sun 16-Aug-20 17:21:24

Impressive knowledge Elegran

Summerlove Sun 16-Aug-20 17:23:05

sodapop

Why can't I read the original post on subsequent pages now. I have to return to the first page. Is it just me ?

I’m having the same issur

Elegran Sun 16-Aug-20 18:05:12

Chewbacca Peardrop Sites were simpler then, not as many all-singing, all-dancing interactive things in them to go wrong. Mine were all made on an app that let you do it by typing in the text you wanted to show, where you wanted it, and adding pictures, then you could move chunks around until it looked right.

I picked up a small amount of coding because it was sometimes needed to add things I wanted, but doing a whole page with it is like writing a page of algebra. If you want to see what code looks like, find "view page source" on your browser for the page you are on.

There were a few good rules around then, though - one was that the reader should be able to get from wherever they were on the site to any part of any page they wanted with no more than three clicks of the mouse, and it should always be very clear how to return.

I have been on some very posh sites recently where you went round in circles looking for the information you wanted, or were stuck on a page that wouldn't respond to the "back" arrow, so you could only get out of it by leaving the site completely and starting from scratch (or even exiting from the browser )

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 17-Aug-20 22:05:19

Hi all,

With the OP's post not showing on the later pages, is this an issue you are having on mobile or desktop, so we can look into it for you? smile

Bathsheba Tue 18-Aug-20 07:35:43

Natasha it's happening for me on the mobile site, but not the desktop.

Bathsheba Tue 18-Aug-20 07:41:22

I have been on some very posh sites recently where you went round in circles looking for the information you wanted, or were stuck on a page that wouldn't respond to the "back" arrow, so you could only get out of it by leaving the site completely and starting from scratch (or even exiting from the browser )

That is one of my pet hates Elegran. On a desktop it's usually possible to click and hold the back arrow so that a drop down menu appears with all previous pages visited. You can then select the page you want to return to.

JackyB Tue 18-Aug-20 07:47:49

I noticed this yesterday for the first time on my mobile,Lara. Suddenly the "Show OP" ar the top of the conversation has disappeared. Very frustrating!

Why fix it when it ain't broke?

Elegran Tue 18-Aug-20 07:57:39

Bathsheba I can usually do that from "History" which is among the buttons displayed above my browser screen - but sometimes they put the page into "full-screen" without being asking to, and all the buttons disappear.

Anyhow, the back arrow is a standard utility - why can't they use it?

Bathsheba Tue 18-Aug-20 08:20:32

Elegran

Bathsheba I can usually do that from "History" which is among the buttons displayed above my browser screen - but sometimes they put the page into "full-screen" without being asking to, and all the buttons disappear.

Anyhow, the back arrow is a standard utility - why can't they use it?

Yes I see your problem. What happens in these full screen modes if you hit the escape button? Does it not return the site to standard view with the buttons? Or does this shut down the site altogether?

sodapop Tue 18-Aug-20 08:34:18

The problem for me is with the mobile site which is the one I use all the time.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 18-Aug-20 10:29:07

Hi, thanks for letting us know that the OP has disappeared on mobile. We'll report that as needing a fix asap. We'll make a note of the other issues you've mentioned too and see what we can do. Thanks smile

BlueBelle Tue 18-Aug-20 22:30:25

I m using mobile and it’s fine

JackyB Fri 04-Sep-20 09:33:52

While browsing this morning, I noticed the "Show OP" again at the top of a thread. Hooray!

Then I opened this thread and it wasn't there again shock