Gransnet forums

Site stuff

mystery prize - surely a scam? If so, please remove

(18 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Kate54 Fri 04-Dec-20 22:15:24

Not happy about this presumed scam to win an iphone which appeared on the site when I opened it just now. It looks quite legitimate but I’m sure it can’t be.

fevertree Fri 04-Dec-20 22:21:02

Kate I'd be very surprised if the ad you saw had anything to do with Gransnet. All th GN competitions are posted by a content manager on a dedicated competition page. It could possibly be a virus on your device, or a pop-up "chance" ad. To ignore it is the safe choice.

Kate54 Fri 04-Dec-20 22:27:52

I’m sure you’re right - there have been quite a few different ones popping up. No point in reporting it then? I think GN readers need go be warned though.

BlueBelle Fri 04-Dec-20 22:29:01

That scam has been going a long time it’s not GN s doing I think it pops up on Apple things I ve often had it on my iPad

fevertree Fri 04-Dec-20 22:40:35

It is always worth alerting people to scam adverts smile

ninathenana Sat 05-Dec-20 07:51:13

Can you not apply an ad blocker

kittylester Sat 05-Dec-20 08:17:08

I havent seen it!

BlueBelle Sat 05-Dec-20 08:23:40

I haven’t seen it pop up on here Kittylester but I have had it as a pop up on my iPad or iPhone, not recently though
It’s not an advert it’s a pop up on your own device I think someone can tell me I m wrong as I m not very sure about technical things

Marydoll Sat 05-Dec-20 08:36:01

Its nothing at all to do with GN, Kate They are pop ups, which I think are connected to apps, you may have downloaded, or sites you have browsed.
I don't know much about iPhone, but would this info help?

How do I stop pop up ads on my iPhone?
On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > Safari and turn on Block Pop-ups and Fraudulent Website Warning. On your Mac, you can find these options in Safari > Preferences. The Websites tab includes options to block some or all pop-up windows, and you can turn on fraudulent site warnings in the Security

AnnieGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 05-Dec-20 17:23:08

Hello there, Kate54. That sounds quite concerning - hopefully, we'll get to the bottom of it. If you see this spam ad again (or similar), please send us a screenshot if possible. Is it just happening on Gransnet?

If anyone else has noticed this, please do let us know either on this thread or by emailing us at [email protected].

Thank you.

BlueBelle Sat 05-Dec-20 19:12:48

Anniegransnet its nothing to do with Gransnet it’s a pop up which pops up on Apple devices

Marydoll Sat 05-Dec-20 20:40:10

AnnieGransnet, I believe rogue pop ups are a common problem on iPhones.
Some users are experiencing rogue pop-ups on their iPhone web browsers, when using Safari and Chrome.

Dodgy websites will sometimes launch a pop-up on your browser that simply can't be closed.

The pop-ups are designed so that even if you close the app down completely, it'll simply re-appear when you open it back up.

These bad pop-up tactics are used by scammers and can sometimes try to deceive you into handing over personal info or installing apps.
I have Android devices and don't get them on GN. The pop ups I get on GN are usually linked to a shopping site (nothing dodgy) I have been on. blush

As far as I'm aware, It's up to the individual user to deal with the problem in their settings.

Bathsheba Sat 05-Dec-20 21:36:48

I've seen that one doing the rounds, it's got to be a scam. Meanwhile, I've just seen this ad on the sidebar. A three million pound home? Plus ten grand on top? Surely to God, this cannot be genuine!!!

fevertree Sat 05-Dec-20 21:48:01

Bathsheba The company in that ad (Omaze)is a legitimate fundraising organisation that sells tickets as in any other raffle, and the prize is property. Proceeds are for charity. Teenage Cancer Trust just ran one handled by Omaze, the tickets were £10 each. Don't ask me where the prize houses come from.

There was an article about this type of fundraising in the papers recently, it is all above board.

Kate54 Sat 05-Dec-20 22:21:42

Thanks so much everyone. I’m generally pretty sensible about this sort of thing but this one nearly got me! I will certainly look at the ipad settings. Even if it’s nothing to do with GN, regular warnings may be a good idea for the gullible among us.

Kate54 Sat 05-Dec-20 22:24:44

Marydoll I have checked the settings and the two mentioned are already on. Will just have to stay alert!

Marydoll Sat 05-Dec-20 22:29:44

Kate, oh to go back to simpler times!

Bathsheba Sun 06-Dec-20 11:34:53

fevertree

Bathsheba The company in that ad (Omaze)is a legitimate fundraising organisation that sells tickets as in any other raffle, and the prize is property. Proceeds are for charity. Teenage Cancer Trust just ran one handled by Omaze, the tickets were £10 each. Don't ask me where the prize houses come from.

There was an article about this type of fundraising in the papers recently, it is all above board.

Thanks for explaining that fevertree. I had no idea about this company and it really seemed far too good to be genuine!