Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Hello from GNHQ

(262 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

LilyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 05-Aug-21 14:41:14

Hi all

We think that it'd be good for us to get to know each other a bit more.

We at GNHQ are here to moderate the site, look after our users and ensure that Gransnet is an inclusive and supportive community. We're post-moderated, which means that we rely on reports to let us know what's going on. ​Our aim is to respond to every query we receive, so please don't be afraid to get in touch.

We're also keen to listen to feedback about site functionality, so tell us what you think - we'll always pass feedback on to the relevant team(s) for discussion, with the promise of making Gransnet better and more efficient for all users. If you've got any ideas for improvement then please share them below. Changes at the back end of the site do take time, but we're more than happy to keep you updated during the process.

Please feel free to introduce yourselves by replying below (or send us a hello privately via email/report if you prefer).

P.S Every time you hit the report button, an angel gets its wings (or a troll gets booted off site). <repeatedly clicks report button>

MawBe Thu 05-Aug-21 14:42:33

????

B9exchange Thu 05-Aug-21 14:43:09

It would be wonderful if we could have a better search facility? grin

Blossoming Thu 05-Aug-21 14:45:35

I agree about the search facility, it would be great if it could be restricted by date range.

Shandy57 Thu 05-Aug-21 14:48:21

Hello, love the site!

Would also like to see a more sophisticated search option, plus an edit option when posting.

Doodledog Thu 05-Aug-21 14:48:34

It would be great if we could have the ability to edit, even if only for five minutes after posting. I appreciate that an open edit facility can lead to malicious posts being withdrawn with no evidence, but I have lost count of the number of times I have posted and then realised that my sentence was ambiguous, or that there was an autocorrect typo.

I know we can preview our posts before sending, but somehow that's not the same, for me at least.

DillytheGardener Thu 05-Aug-21 14:53:36

I agree with Doodledog I have made some extremely embarrassing typos which I didn’t have the option to edit, (if anyone remembers a particular doozy) and also a better search option and an option to tag other posters, the bold thing is a faff, and it’s impossible without going through a whole thread to know if anyone individually mentioned you.

crazyH Thu 05-Aug-21 14:54:16

Yes - edit function please !

FarNorth Thu 05-Aug-21 15:03:13

Highlighting of all an OP's posts would be good.
I use it on Mumsnet to read everything the OP has said to see if perhaps their issue has been sorted out already, or more information has been given.
It's impossible to do that quickly on GN.

Aldom Thu 05-Aug-21 15:03:34

Definitely a Search facility that works. I've yet to do a successful search.

welbeck Thu 05-Aug-21 15:05:55

ditto.
please highlight all OP's posts. like on MN.
thanks.

Callistemon Thu 05-Aug-21 15:15:35

B9exchange

It would be wonderful if we could have a better search facility? grin

Yes, agreed

One that didn't offer to take you back to the forums but not to what you're searching for!

Callistemon Thu 05-Aug-21 15:16:25

Oh yes, and a 5 minute window to correct anything that autocorrect decided to change.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 05-Aug-21 15:19:28

I’m looking forward to seeing Elderly Person’s suggestions!

nanaK54 Thu 05-Aug-21 15:20:48

Hello, agree with the highlighting of posts, mumsnet as I'm sure you know, has a 'see all' function which is particularly useful

Aldom Thu 05-Aug-21 15:29:15

Until yesterday OP posts were always highlighted on my mobile phone. Suddenly, for no reason, now they are not. It certainly makes long threads less easy to follow.

Sparklefizz Thu 05-Aug-21 15:35:16

A "like/dislike" button would save a lot of time and repeated posts.

Lucca Thu 05-Aug-21 15:38:55

FarNorth

Highlighting of all an OP's posts would be good.
I use it on Mumsnet to read everything the OP has said to see if perhaps their issue has been sorted out already, or more information has been given.
It's impossible to do that quickly on GN.

I feel like we keep asking for this !! Some people say they have it. I don’t, on phone or iPad.

Lucca Thu 05-Aug-21 15:40:47

Sparklefizz

Sorry Sparklefizz, I don’t agree! I think it would lead to accusations of cliquery….. and new posters getting upset if their post wasn’t “liked”. I much prefer to hear what someone thinks and maybe adds.

Pittcity Thu 05-Aug-21 15:43:14

I agree with all of the above.
Meanwhile it is easier to search using Google......just add Gransnet to whatever you're looking for!

eazybee Thu 05-Aug-21 15:49:49

The ability to correct thread titles.
Posters frequently correct mistakes made in their posts in an additional post, but once a title is posted it stays there indefinitely and is seen every time the user scrolls down the list, sometimes for weeks.

Violettham Thu 05-Aug-21 15:53:30

Please can you stop sending me e mails twice every time Thankyou

MerylStreep Thu 05-Aug-21 15:58:41

Sparklefizz

Nooooooooo ?
Nothing or no one is going to stop repeated posts.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 05-Aug-21 16:01:22

I wouldn’t be in favour of a like/dislike button.

Doodledog Thu 05-Aug-21 16:13:04

No, I don't think they work on discussion boards. It's fine on FB when people just want to show they've seen a post, but can kill conversation on boards, as people are tempted to lurk and not contribute if they can make their feelings felt with a 'like' or 'dislike'. Posters don't know what it is that people don't like, so it doesn't help at all.

I've also seen it used to be unkind to people - everything they post gets immediate 'dislikes', even when there is nothing that can be disagreed with.