Gransnet forums

Site stuff

What is your favourite forum?

(28 Posts)
Chestnut Fri 21-Jan-22 10:03:34

So just that really. What is your favourite forum?
My favourite hobby is Family History so mine is Genealogy/Memories but it doesn't get a lot of postings.
TV Radio, Film, Arts is good for discussing what's been on TV.
I sometimes like the News & Politics but it has some very aggressive posters on there so it's not for the faint hearted.

Ilovecheese Fri 21-Jan-22 10:09:08

News and politics, also craft but there is not a great number of threads on that.
I enjoy the robust discussions on the news and politics threads, it's only a forum so I don't take things said on there to heart. (Even when I am roundly criticised for disagreeing)

FannyCornforth Fri 21-Jan-22 10:09:28

Anything that is current and in the Active List.
I don’t give any thought as to which sub-forum a thread is under.
I rarely read Estrangement threads, or Complicated Family Problems.

FannyCornforth Fri 21-Jan-22 10:11:01

I don’t know if it’s just me, but I think that the N&P threads aren’t as nasty as they have been in the past.

glammanana Fri 21-Jan-22 10:11:04

Home & Beauty I used to love the Competitions but there aren't any at the minute.
Some News & Politic's but as stated it can get very aggressive for some unknown reason.

tanith Fri 21-Jan-22 10:15:21

Like FannyCornforth don’t have a favourite just check out the active thread and read/comment what’s interesting to me.

GagaJo Fri 21-Jan-22 10:16:08

News and Politics. Chat.

Only one I never go into is Games.

Chestnut Fri 21-Jan-22 10:21:07

tanith I also check what's active but they are often of no interest, like Games and Estrangement (of which I have no experience). I rarely get involved in complicated family problems, they can be overwhelming.

Josieann Fri 21-Jan-22 10:25:53

I think it would be easier for me to list the ones I don't like rather than the extremely long list of ones I enjoy.
I particularly like House & Home, Pets, Food, TV, film, Arts, Nature, Environment, News, Gardening, Travel, Education, Style & Beauty and Grandparenting which was why I joined! ..........

Sago Fri 21-Jan-22 10:29:32

I steer clear of anything with contributions from certain posters!
Otherwise the active list.

Josieann Fri 21-Jan-22 10:36:22

Sago

I steer clear of anything with contributions from certain posters!
Otherwise the active list.

Phew at least none of those on this current list are implicated then Sago!

hollysteers Fri 21-Jan-22 10:43:50

I like the Good Morning thread (even though I’m an owl) and Fanny’s answer a question.
If a relationship problem goes on and on, I don’t bother with it.

Chestnut Fri 21-Jan-22 10:54:15

hollysteers it's true some threads go on and on and on! I feel as though the question has been answered quite thoroughly and yet it continues for pages and pages. Does anyone read all those replies I wonder.

hollysteers Fri 21-Jan-22 11:04:50

Chestnut Not only the replies going on and on, but the question taking up half of my iPad ?

FannyCornforth Fri 21-Jan-22 11:09:33

That overlong thread thing tends to happen when it gets highlighted in the Daily Newsletter.
The Opening Post will have been done and dusted the day before; and then the thread gets resurrected.
And then you have the Don’t Read the Thread Gang.
There seem to be a lot of posters who only comment on the threads that are mentioned in the Newsletter email.
I find that odd.

FannyCornforth Fri 21-Jan-22 11:10:01

Thanks Holly btwsmile

Elizabeth27 Fri 21-Jan-22 11:39:36

I look at 'last hour' and don't really notice what the thread is under. I avoid the games and fantasy threads but tend to look at all the others.

Chestnut Fri 21-Jan-22 11:42:31

There's a Forum called 'Classics' which has only 10 threads. What is that? I can't see that being anyone's favourite ?

MayBee70 Fri 21-Jan-22 11:49:07

Chestnut

There's a Forum called 'Classics' which has only 10 threads. What is that? I can't see that being anyone's favourite ?

I just looked at it. I thought it might be about classical literature but there seems to be a lot about vibrators blush….

Kim19 Fri 21-Jan-22 12:40:35

I find the arrogance of contributors who freely admit they haven't read previous posts but go on to add their own tuppence worth quite astonishing. Usually repetition of something previously said and not at all original. Also the copying down of previous comments is SO unnecessary and ridiculously space filling.

Chestnut Fri 21-Jan-22 12:46:48

So what are your favourite threads?

MerylStreep Fri 21-Jan-22 12:50:00

The OP asked ^ what is your favourite forum^
GN is the forum. Most posters are talking about threads
My favourite is Quora Far much better debates without it getting personal.

Chestnut Fri 21-Jan-22 12:57:06

MerylStreep

The OP asked ^ what is your favourite forum^
GN is the forum. Most posters are talking about threads
My favourite is Quora Far much better debates without it getting personal.

At the top of the page is FORUM and under that are all the forums! Gransnet is a website and has other things apart from the Forum. Threads are discussions in the Forum area.

Calendargirl Fri 21-Jan-22 13:01:26

I like the TV one, and Chat. Usually look at N&P, AIBU, House and Home.

Never look at Games or Craft ones, or Soops Kitchen, if it’s still there.

Go down the Active ones, and often think ‘Oh dear, is that one still on the go?’

Urmstongran Fri 21-Jan-22 13:01:39

When I first joined I got told off for referring to a thread as a forum.