Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Gransnet in 2024 - have your say!

(262 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

AnnieGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 04-Dec-23 10:09:22

Hello, everyone.

As we approach the end of the year, we at GNHQ are thinking about what we can do to improve the site for everyone in 2024. Simply put - we think we need a makeover!

What we’d really like to know is does Gransnet hit the spot, or is there something you're itching for. What features do you love, (or not) and is there a gap we need to fill? We’d also like to know if you think Gransnet reflects who you are and if not, how can we make it more ‘you’?

If you were in charge at GNHQ for the day, what changes would you make? Anything from the layout or the topics to even the name Gransnet (AI suggested ‘nananook.com' grin) - we want to hear it.

Your opinions matter to us and we’re all ears.

Thanks,
GNHQ

Redhead56 Mon 04-Dec-23 10:14:17

Games could be on a separate section not on active pages. I get fed up with them popping up constantly then I have to hide them.

maddyone Mon 04-Dec-23 10:21:21

Agreed Redhead.

nadateturbe Mon 04-Dec-23 10:24:10

I know many are against it but I would like a like button.

maddyone Mon 04-Dec-23 10:24:55

When reports are made they should be acted on. A couple of weeks ago I accidentally posted a News and Politics thread under Meet Ups. I reported and requested four times for the thread to be moved but although I received the standard acknowledgment each time, no further action was taken.
I’ve had good responses previously but this time it was sadly lacking. I eventually concluded that there was no one in the office over those two days.

Pittcity Mon 04-Dec-23 10:32:12

An edit facility, a like button.

Being back book of the month and competitions.

A lot of the forum headings are redundant or confusing, perhaps a rethink.

Advertising to bring in new members. I haven't seen anything in ages.

Siope Mon 04-Dec-23 10:33:18

Short-life edit button.
Proper hyperlinks, so they can be built into sentences.
Consistency across platforms on how original posts and own posts are shown (and to the highest, not lowest, common standard)
Ability to read all OPs posts in a thread

Pittcity Mon 04-Dec-23 10:34:06

Also, I usually start with the forums as a lot of the main content is ancient.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Dec-23 10:34:14

On our pm pages I’d like a button at the bottom of the list that facilitates moving on to the next page without having to scroll back up to the top of the current page to do this.

Also it’s frustrating to try sending a pm (typing it all out) to then find the recipient is not receiving messages.

Would there be a way of flagging this up once the intended recipient’s name is in the header box?

merlotgran Mon 04-Dec-23 10:43:52

maddyone

When reports are made they should be acted on. A couple of weeks ago I accidentally posted a News and Politics thread under Meet Ups. I reported and requested four times for the thread to be moved but although I received the standard acknowledgment each time, no further action was taken.
I’ve had good responses previously but this time it was sadly lacking. I eventually concluded that there was no one in the office over those two days.

I agree. I asked for some photos to be removed on 25/11 as they were posted in error. I reported my post twice but they’re still there.
I had tried the preview facility but it kept freezing.

Smileless2012 Mon 04-Dec-23 10:45:21

A like button, edit facility and not just the OP but all OP's posts to be in the same colour, throughout the thread.

If possible, to be able to go to a previous page having already started to type a message without losing it and a BIG no to AI's suggestion for a new name grin.

BlueBelle Mon 04-Dec-23 10:49:01

1 EDIT BUTTON (even if for 5 minutes)
2 GAMES SEPARATED (not on active newsfeed it’s a nightmare getting rid of them daily)
3 ORIGINAL POSTERS POST to show in different colour all the way through the thread

I put it in capitals as we ve sugessted hundreds of times when asked for suggestions and always been ignored

LauraNorderr Mon 04-Dec-23 10:51:11

Nananook!
Pleeease, you’ve got to be kidding.
Sounds patronising, silly and excludes men.
If that’s what AI is going to be like God help us.

henetha Mon 04-Dec-23 10:53:03

Please don't change it too much. smile

merlotgran Mon 04-Dec-23 10:53:24

Nannanook?

We all know what would happen to that! 🤣🤣

Shelflife Mon 04-Dec-23 10:55:53

Nananook !!!? NO NO NO .
A change of name - yes please. Not everyone is a GP and those who don't have GC may feel that GN is not for them when of course it is !

Calendargirl Mon 04-Dec-23 10:58:57

I agree about the Games thread and highlighting OP in different colour.

The name is ok, hate that new suggestion!

Chestnut Mon 04-Dec-23 10:59:48

Forums:
1/ Games under their own heading and not in the forums. Maybe next to Competitions.
2/ 'Agree' button next to posts. I would like a 'disagree' button too.
3/ OP posts to be colour marked.
4/ OP to be able to close their own thread when they've had enough. Some threads go on and on, and people just write the same things over and over again.

Chestnut Mon 04-Dec-23 11:01:27

Gransnet goes with Mumsnet so keep the name.

Joseann Mon 04-Dec-23 11:03:39

A timed edit button.
No name change.
Separate News from Politics, so if a film star/celebrity dies, or if there is a disaster/rescue, or a royal's carol service/revelation, or an animal story ..... they are under a different heading.

merlotgran Mon 04-Dec-23 11:05:35

OP to be able to close their own thread when they've had enough. Some threads go on and on, and people just write the same things over and over again

The OP is not in charge of their thread. They have just started a discussion. Would you tell people to stop talking or shut up in RL just because somebody is repeating something that’s already been said?

merlotgran Mon 04-Dec-23 11:07:46

Joseann

A timed edit button.
No name change.
Separate News from Politics, so if a film star/celebrity dies, or if there is a disaster/rescue, or a royal's carol service/revelation, or an animal story ..... they are under a different heading.

News and Politics were separate threads in the early days of Gransnet.
It was much better.

Parsley3 Mon 04-Dec-23 11:07:49

All OPs posts to be highlighted throughout the thread so that we can easily follow updates and comments on responses. An edit button active for a limited time. A search facility that works without having to resort to Google. No to a like button but yes to a separate games section. I am glad that you are thinking of a makeover. When I joined 12 years ago lively threads often reached the magic number of 1000 posts but that rarely happens now . Have member numbers dropped?

M0nica Mon 04-Dec-23 11:10:36

If you change the name to 'nananook', you wouldn't be able to see me for dust and small stones.

It smacks of catty old ladies with their knitting, Dame Edna glasses, all sitting saying nasty things about the sil/DiL's while boasting about grand children - shudder -

It does prove that AI is a male orinetated, male controlled tool. This suggestion wuld never have come up if women payed a serious part in AI.

Joking apart, I think that that is a very serious issue.

Otherwise I agree with Blebelle

kittylester Mon 04-Dec-23 11:17:34

Yes to separate News and Politics threads.

Yes to a games section.

Yes to a better search facility

Yes to a short time limited edit button.

No to a like button.

No to the OP being able to close a thread. As Merlot said, you can't opt for that in real life.

Ambivalent about a name change. Gransnet shows that it is related to Mums net but we could do with more men. We have posters who say things like 'What do you think, ladies?'

The site was much livelier in the beginning - not sure what happened. Idea's anyone?