Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Ideal cruise destination? Share with Holland America Line - £300 voucher to be won! NOW CLOSED

(232 Posts)
EllieGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 26-Apr-18 12:15:20

Cruises can be a great way to see the world and visit multiple places in one holiday! Holland America Line would love you to share what your dream cruise destination would be and why you would choose that place.

Here’s what Orlando Ashford President of Holland America Line has to say: “A Holland America Line cruise does so much more than merely take people from one place to the next. It enriches and enlightens us as we discover new places, cultures and people. It brings the world closer together, journey by journey”

Perhaps you have a city halfway across the world that you would love to visit? Maybe you would like to visit a country you’ve never been to before but is a little closer to home? Or do you dream of taking a trip to a small island somewhere?

Whatever your ideal cruise destination share it on the thread below, along with reason why and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

Grannyknot Thu 26-Apr-18 13:30:46

I would really like a cruise around Scotland's Western Isles. If it's good enough for Her Maj, it's good enough for me. Jokes aside, I think it would be remote and peaceful, there "at the edge of the world".

Granny23 Thu 26-Apr-18 14:11:12

I could never afford a cruise round the Western Isles, but am off on Monday for a coach and ferry trip, which starts with coach to Ullapool, ferry Ullapool to Stornoway, coach down to south Uist and Eriskay, Ferry from there to Barra and back, Coach to Lochboisdale, ferry to Skye, coach/ferry to Mallaig and down the 'Road to the Isles' to Fort William. We will spend more time on land than on sea than we would on a cruise, but otherwise it will be much the same itinerary as a Western Isles Cruise.

kittylester Thu 26-Apr-18 15:00:57

Who could argue with either of those choices - certainly not me!!

I would love to do the Rhine River Cruise again - it was fabulous but DH doesn't like to repeat things. And, if the weather could be as beautiful, that would be an added bonus!

I'll just start packing!1

chelseababy Thu 26-Apr-18 15:22:43

I'd love to go to the Pacific Islands. Remote and fascinating. I'd love to cross the international date line aboard a cruise ship!

Greenfinch Thu 26-Apr-18 15:53:47

I would like to cruise to or around The Aaland Islands where my ancestors came from in the eighteenth century.I believe it is verypretty and I would love to see my "homeland".

hildajenniJ Thu 26-Apr-18 17:34:25

I would love to visit Angkor Wat one day. I think that a Mekong River cruise might take me there. I don't like flying (only do it if there's no alternative), so would love to be able to board the cruise ship from a British port. This would probably cost a fortune, and I'd never be able to afford it, so it will have to stay a beautiful dream.

cornergran Thu 26-Apr-18 18:08:40

Fjords for me, please. The most relaxing holiday ever. Fabulous scenery, snow capped mountains, waterfalls at every corner, clean air, polite and friendly people, water like glass, interesting places to visit. Most Fjords cruises are for a week. I’d suggest 12-14 days would be popular. One of my favourite areas and easy to get to from UK ports.

Maggiemaybe Thu 26-Apr-18 18:30:26

I'd like to cruise down the East coast of Canada and the US. I've always wanted to see the colours of New England in the Fall, and having had one of our best holidays ever in Canada a few years ago, we would love to see more of it. We travelled by train cross-country from Toronto to Vancouver, and I'm sure cruising into Quebec and Montreal would be a completely different, but equally wonderful, experience.

charlwilde Fri 27-Apr-18 13:49:23

I'd love to go whale watching around the coast of Alaska

Grannybags Fri 27-Apr-18 14:06:18

Alaska for me too please. It'd have to be from a British port though as my husband wont fly

Carado Fri 27-Apr-18 20:52:36

A cruise on the Hurtigruten up the coast of Norway would be my dream choice, in early winter as the snow starts to fall. I have visited Scandinavia in summer (not on a cruise, though) and would love to see it as it begins to turn white. Wouldn't feel safe driving in Arctic conditions, so watching the scenery pass from a warm cabin would be ideal. Imagine listening to Grieg as you sail past the fjords and glaciers.

cathisherwood Sat 28-Apr-18 09:13:31

I would love to follow in Darwin's footsteps and see the wildlife of the different Galapagos islands

bonnie57 Sat 28-Apr-18 09:28:55

I would love to sail across the Atlantic from Southampton to New York and see the Statue of Liberty welcoming me to the United States of America.This for me would be following in the footsteps (sea steps!) of my ancestors who had done this many years ago to seek their fortune.

Venus Sat 28-Apr-18 10:22:21

I have never visited the far East. I have always wanted to take tea at Raffles, visited temples, see the Terracota Warriors. Such a different culture and to cruise there in comfort would be wonderful. Also, on a cruise, the excusions would go to these places and I feel that I'm in a safe environment.

KaazaK Sat 28-Apr-18 13:01:27

I've been on both sea and river cruises. I would love to do another river cruise taking in Berlin and the former East Germany.

Feelthefear Sat 28-Apr-18 13:31:56

I would love to cruise along the Croatian coast, it's a country I'd love to visit but I don't know where to start, I'd love to visit different towns and cities.

dessa Sat 28-Apr-18 17:08:11

I had always been intrigued by Arctic region. I would love to discover special sights from glaciers to polar bears and how fantastic would be to see Northern Lights. There is something magic about Alaska and other polar areas. It would be amazing to see how in this hostile conditions life can go on. This cruise would stay in my memory forever. I better start planning the route. As I found out there is many cruises to choose from.

Luckylegs9 Sat 28-Apr-18 17:24:46

I would like to follow two cruises, first to the Caribbean see those beautiful beaches and hear the music, the second to the Baltics as I would love to see St Petersburg, I would like to see it and know I've the safety of the ship to return to, Have to start saving because that single supplement stops me doing them.

GrannieAnnie123 Sat 28-Apr-18 17:39:36

I would love to go from Mombasa, visit Zanzibar, then watch the blue ocean drifting by till we get to somewhere where I can disembark and visit Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. Climb back on board to visit CapeTown and everything on route. To dream the impossible dream!!!

henbane Sat 28-Apr-18 20:27:23

I would love to go on a round the world cruise, seeing all the places I will never otherwise see. But the difficulty (apart from the cost!) is getting travel insurance. At 70, with some health issues, I can still get annual travel insurance but not for long enough to do a big trip - and all policies exclude cruises anyway! How do other pensioners manage it?

womblekelly Sat 28-Apr-18 21:45:46

Think it would have to be Norwegian fjords coupled with St Petersburg ...

NanaNancy Sun 29-Apr-18 01:42:09

I long for open wild places, so would like to cruise to ports leaving from Chile, and visiting ports south to arrive in Patagonia - would like to go as far south as possible without the Antarctic - it would be a blend of adventure and comfort on a cruise to be able to do so. Imagine hiking near the Ushuaia Mountains or Torre de Paine National Park then slipping back to sleep and marvelous meals on the ship.
Keep adding to the "bucket list" as "you never know" what might take you there.

Wildrose24 Sun 29-Apr-18 10:00:23

I would love to start from Spain go to America and the caribbean sunshine.I have always wanted to travel and America and the Caribbean sound amazing.I would like to take my husband as we have had a tough few years healthwise.

lilihu Sun 29-Apr-18 10:33:48

Western Isles for me too. Sounds idyllic. It’s only in recent years that I’ve realised how many places I’ve not seen that I really should have!