Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Tell Collette Tours what’s stopped you from travelling to certain locations

(173 Posts)
EllieGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 04-Mar-19 10:05:44

This activity is now closed

Everyone loves to travel and see the world, but places on our bucket lists aren’t always easy to explore. There are considerations and potential worries about everywhere we visit from the small “Will I like the food?” to the bigger “Is it safe to visit there at the moment?”. Travel company Collette Tours are interested to find out if there are any places you’d love to travel but haven’t, and what are the things that have put you off doing so.

Here’s what Collette Tours has to say: “As the longest-running tour operator in North America, Collette has provided guided travel for 100 years. With trips to all seven continents, Collette’s guests fulfil their deepest travel aspirations in a variety of ways with travel styles that are diversified to suit every traveller’s personal style.”

So what’s worried you about places you’ve always wanted to go to? Have you always wanted to explore Japan but worry about the language barrier? Perhaps you dream of travelling around different countries but aren’t sure how to start planning? Maybe seeing the Taj Mahal is on your bucket list but you’re not sure you’ll be able to manage well in the heat? Or you’d love to watch the sunrise over Machu Picchu but there’s a difficult hike to get there?

Whatever destinations you’d love to go to but there’s something that’s stopped you, please share them below and you will be entered into a prize draw to win a £300 voucher of your choice (from a list).

Thanks
GNHQ

Terms and conditions apply

jwaters22 Sat 16-Mar-19 06:14:44

I have always wanted to go to Vietnam. Just need to plan a way to do it. Racing around with busy family life just means another year has gone by without planning a trip. Time moves fast.

mummyfeo Fri 15-Mar-19 21:09:43

I would love to see the pyramids, but the political climate in Egypt frightens me, so I will have to wait.

Vecta2 Fri 15-Mar-19 17:40:11

Whilst cost is always a problem the main things stopping me visiting certain countries are concerns about political stability, safety and health problems

Breeze81 Fri 15-Mar-19 14:46:18

I'd love to visit Tokyo but the language barrier scares me. I'd also really struggle not being able to read the characters for train destination etc. It terrifys me sadly.

genie10 Fri 15-Mar-19 11:17:26

I'd like to visit many of the Middle Eastern countries but worry about attacks on tourists.

ujhunt1961 Fri 15-Mar-19 10:31:43

I have always wanted to go to South Africa but the unrest and shootings of visitors has put me off, if I was in a bigger group I might feel safer

Edenar Fri 15-Mar-19 08:46:39

Continental Europe .........Brexit, I now do VR holidays only.......Virtual Reality..........less stressful, quick and easy, feels great, 20 minutes feels like a week, all in the comfort of your own home

franklintuesday Fri 15-Mar-19 08:35:48

Many countries are not safe at the present.

Meg54 Fri 15-Mar-19 07:48:10

I would love to visit Iceland, but it is so expensive. It would use up two years holiday budget for a five day trip!.

flowersfromheaven Fri 15-Mar-19 00:15:23

I have been to many countries and loved everyone I have been to. Egypt is the best I have visited and will be going back there soon. It's very clean and a beautiful place . The place I would love to visit is Thailand but with what happened there on Boxing Day (tsunami) as put me off going, My partner keeps asking me to look and get one booked I know I should just get on with it and book to go but something keeps stopping me.

Nandalot Thu 14-Mar-19 18:47:56

We would love to go to New Zealand. My DH has a cousin there. We would love to see the spectacular scenery but as others have said the cost is prohibitive. Also as we are main helpers with DGC so that DD can work we are only able to take short holidays and one would need at least two weeks, if not more, to justify the cost. If only we could afford for us all to go!

WoodLane7 Thu 14-Mar-19 18:33:31

I would love to visit the Holy Land but with all the troubles there currently I really wouldn't feel safe travelling there; a shame really as the situation is unlikely to improve so doubt I will ever get there

peronel Thu 14-Mar-19 16:03:18

Two things put me off: the cost and risk of terrorism. Like many others I'd love to travel to Egypt but the risk at the moment is just too high.

GrannieAnnie123 Thu 14-Mar-19 15:54:19

I went to boarding school in my teens and hated it. My parents and brother would travel to the U.K. By boat from Mombasa and around the Cape. The postcards were amazing and I would love so love to do that trip. Show me Zanzibar and the Victoria Falls and last bucket list item ticked!
Ps As a solo traveller it is impossibly expensive!

funsizescot1975 Thu 14-Mar-19 15:18:59

I'd love to visit Japan for the blossom festival it just looks so pretty and I have never travelled that far before. Its just so expensive so barring a lottery win it probably wont happen

Rosesarepink Thu 14-Mar-19 15:15:40

Its purely down to facilities for me due to my medical issues.

isis53 Thu 14-Mar-19 15:04:20

Many places I would like to visit are just too expensive now that Im retired safety was never an issue ive been all over the middle east and israel and never felt in any danger. The issue now is purely the cost.

spongebob1 Thu 14-Mar-19 14:24:02

It's just finances that stop us travelling. It's a wonderful thing to do but so expensive sad

juliedee Thu 14-Mar-19 14:22:15

would love to do the train across Canada for sure

skai123 Thu 14-Mar-19 13:11:58

I always go on the Governments site and check to see if it is safe to travel, if the info on a country says unadvisable to travel to that Country, I would not go

telmel Thu 14-Mar-19 12:21:55

I would love to travel to Japan or Australia, but its the cost

telmel Thu 14-Mar-19 12:20:39

I would love to travel to Japan or Australia

brizy830 Thu 14-Mar-19 12:06:36

Terrorist attacks on tourists and the support for terrorism from a number of governments in the middle east in particular. I refuse to put a penny in to the economy of any country which condones or supports terrorism.

Aka77 Thu 14-Mar-19 11:59:55

Would love to see Petra, but cannot hike.

adrisco Thu 14-Mar-19 11:53:59

Would love to cross Canada by train. What stops me? Lack of funds, a reluctant husband and a fear of doing stuff on my own!!