Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Let’s talk oral care routines with Listerine® - £300 voucher to be won

(273 Posts)
JustineBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 03-Jun-19 16:35:40

This activity is now closed

Looking after your teeth is an important part of everyone’s hygiene routine, it’s something that is drilled into us from a very young age. From ensuring you don’t eat too many sugary foods to flossing, there can be a lot of aspects to oral care, which is why Listerine® would like to know all about your oral care routine.

Here’s what Listerine® have to say: “In a modern age of increasingly busy lifestyles and diary-filled days it’s easy to neglect things like oral health. Whether it’s healthy foods or sweet treats that you enjoy the most as snacks, tucking into acidic or sugary food and drink weakens your teeth enamel. While brushing does help to take care of your oral health, brushing just your teeth only targets 25% of your mouth*, Listerine® mouthwash targets virtually 100%.

New Listerine® Nightly Reset mouthwash is scientifically proven to remineralize enamel for 6x stronger teeth versus brushing alone**. The mild “Midnight” flavoured formula boasts a high level of fluoride which restores weakened enamel and resets your whole mouth; a key step in your oral care regime.”

How long do you brush your teeth for? Do you use mouthwash? How have your teeth changed over time and has your oral care routine changed too? What about the dentist: are you someone who never fails to miss an appointment or are you more of an as-and-when type of person? Is there any advice you would give to your younger self about oral care? What type of toothpaste do you prefer? Do you always remember to brush your tongue too?

Whatever your tips, tricks and oral care routines are, post them on the thread below and everyone who does will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 VEX Gift Certificate which can be redeemed for any voucher on the voucher express website.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
GNHQ

*From study representing teeth surface area measurements
**in a lab study UK/LI/19-13725b

UK residents only, 18+. Must be a registered member of Gransnet. Enter from 4:30pm on 3rd June 2019 to 4.30pm on 24th June 2019. To participate, post a comment related to oral care on this thread below. Only 1 entry per person. Prizes: 1 x £300 VEX Gift Certificates exchangeable on voucherexpress.co.uk. Prize is subject to voucher express T&Cs. Full T&Cs can be found here. Promoter: Gransnet Limited of Studio 13-16 Deane House Studios, 27 Greenwood Place, London, NW5 1LB, GB

lildan Thu 06-Jun-19 11:59:18

I use a medium manual toothbrush and brush morning and night plus if I am flying I brush after each meal as I like my mouth to feel fresh while I am sitting around for so long. I go to my dentist every six months and pray that there is nothing wrong with my teeth as I hate the sound of the drills, have done since I was a child but luckily I have had only a few fillings in all my 66 years.

ladyraven Thu 06-Jun-19 12:44:21

Electric toothbrush, followed by a minute swooshing with Listerine morning and night

buchanl Thu 06-Jun-19 14:31:03

I floss my teeth every evening before bed.

I use a regular toothbrush when brushing twice daily and I use Arm and hammer baking soda toothpaste as it is good for removing stains from tea. wine etc.

Lorelei Thu 06-Jun-19 17:07:24

I brush my teeth for 2-3 minutes at least twice a day and sometimes give them a 'quick scrub' if I eat lunch. I don't use mouthwash as often as I probably should and don't floss at the moment as I'm in the process of having some major dental work done! I do remember to brush my tongue (and have one of those tongue-scraper things for it if it feels extra scrungy!) I don't stick to any one brand of toothpaste but tend to use whatever is on offer/reasonably priced when I shop - but mostly well-known brands and supermarket own brands rarely. My teeth are a lot more sensitive now than when I was younger.

The advice I would give my younger self would be not to develop such a sweet tooth, not to neglect regular dental check-ups and to pay more attention to dental health in general. I have always had poor general health so I would also make people more aware that a lot of medicines, tonics etc can be quite 'sugary' or stick to your teeth, so to brush teeth after taking some of them too. I'm quite jealous of my younger brother & sister, both of whom have perfect teeth!

GeminiJen Thu 06-Jun-19 17:16:06

* 2 - 3 minutes, twice a day...before breakfast and at bedtime.
* I use an electric toothbrush with a timer.
* Also TePe brushes for in between teeth..
* I've recently started using mouthwash....Have used Listerine but also cheaper alternatives. I started after a gum infection, on my dentist's advice, and find it has helped.
* I have fewer teeth now...and look after them better!
* Every 6 months: appointments with dentist and hygienist.
* Advice to younger self? Pam Ayres' poem says it all: How I wish I'd looked after my teeth!
* Preferred toothpaste? Corsodyl and Oral B Sensitive.
* I brush my tongue occasionally....2-3 times a week.

chorkie Thu 06-Jun-19 17:25:14

As I've got older, I realise how important my teeth are to me, so I now brush my teeth for about 6 minutes in the morning and about 3 minutes at night. I then follow on with flossing between each tooth. Its surprising how little bits of food get lodged in those tight spaces and only flossing seem to get it out.

I used to use mouthwash every time I brushed my teeth, but my dentist told me to rinse with mouthwash in the middle of the day and not directly after brushing. 9 times out of 10 I forget, so the mouthwash doesn't get used at all!

When I was young my teeth were lovely and white and straight. Now I have lost a couple of my back teeth and they have started to go a slight yellow colour. I feel so jealous of the TV stars who smile widely with glowing white teeth!

When I was young I used to give my teeth a quick going over twice a day, but now I make sure I don't miss any area of my teeth and I now also make sure I brush my tongue too to make sure that my breath smells fresher.

I go to the dentist twice a year for check-ups and to make sure that my old fillings are still ok and don't need refilling.

I would advise my younger self to keep up a good dental cleaning regime. Like the rest of your body, your teeth age too.

As my teeth are sensitive to cold food, such as ice-cream, I always use a Sensitive Tooth Paste.

JustAmyCov Thu 06-Jun-19 19:10:39

I use dental floss and then an electric toothbrush for 2 minutes, morning and night followed by Listerine mouthwash. A visit to the dentist ever 6 months as well.

grannyactivist Fri 07-Jun-19 01:20:11

How long do you brush your teeth for? Until my electric toothbrush tells me to stop.

Do you use mouthwash? Yes, Corsodyl, but only if I have a mouth ulcer or an inflamed gum.

How have your teeth changed over time and has your oral care routine changed too? My teeth are older, yellower and subject to fissures and slight breakage at the top. I didn't even possess a toothbrush as a child, so yes my oral care routine has changed enormously.

What about the dentist: are you someone who never fails to miss an appointment or are you more of an as-and-when type of person? I visit my dentist regularly on repeat appointments. I count it a win if he tells me I don't have to see the hygienist - it's now four years since my last appointment. Yesssss!!

Is there any advice you would give to your younger self about oral care? Adopt parents who care about dental hygiene? Alternatively give a Nobel Prize to the person who invented inter-dental brushes; I'm addicted to them.

What type of toothpaste do you prefer? Oral B.

Do you always remember to brush your tongue too? No - I don't always need to.

libra10 Fri 07-Jun-19 06:22:56

I brush my teeth twice a day, for 2 minutes each time, also use Listerine daily.
My teeth have weakened over time, some becoming slightly loose. I floss regularly to try and lessen some of effects of ageing, and visit my dentist every 6 months so she can keep a check on them.
I've always taken good care of my oral health, though probably damaged them slightly with some of my food and drink choices.
As I enjoy drinking coffee and tea, I prefer a whitening toothpaste to try and brighten up my teeth a bit, but considering asking my dentist to do a treatment at the next visit.

LullyDully Fri 07-Jun-19 07:41:09

Dentist and hygienist 6 monthly.
Electric brush twice daily before breakfast and before breakfast.
Use a water flosser am, floss and teepee pointy things pm.
Never clean teeth after eating fruit for half an hour.
Use the very cheapest fluoride mouth over night.
All on the instructions of bossy dentist.

cozitsme Fri 07-Jun-19 09:34:03

How long do you brush your teeth for? I will admit to brushing for about 4 mins. As a coffee drinker and a smoker, I find a standard 2 mins just doesn't remove the stains.

Do you use mouthwash? Daily

How have your teeth changed over time and has your oral care routine changed too? After my previous dental surgery decided to only treat private patients (I had been a registered patient for around 15 years and received free NHS dental treatment due to my Working Tax Credit so couldn't afford to go private), I spent 2+ years without a dentist. It was at this point that I discovered I have a receding gum problem if I do not have my regular 6 monthly clean up so yes my routine has changed due to this as I know have to use interdentals to clean between my teeth.

What about the dentist: are you someone who never fails to miss an appointment or are you more of an as-and-when type of person? I never miss an appointment, although my dental practice seem to think it is fine to cancel my appt on a regular basis, i.e. 2 appts a year and at least one gets cancelled!

Is there any advice you would give to your younger self about oral care? Not really, I have always been good with my oral care. Only advise I could give myself is beware greedy dental practices.

What type of toothpaste do you prefer? I would love a really good sensitive whitening toothpaste but cannot seem to find one that does both to a standard that I want, so usually opt for the whitening over the sensitivity.

Do you always remember to brush your tongue too? Absolutely

graninthemist Fri 07-Jun-19 10:15:45

I brush my teeth twice per day for approximately two minutes using an electric toothbrush with a timer. I recently read that it's better to brush before breakfast rather than after when the enamel is more fragile, and I have been trying to remember to do that. I brush my tongue too when I remember. I believe Indian people brush their tongue rather than their teeth. I had a lot of toothache when I was a child because my parents never took me to the dentist, but, once I was old enough to decide for myself, around the age of 17, I started to go twice yearly. Unfortunately, a lot of damage had been done by then, and I now have a number of bridges which require careful flossing. We made sure that our daughter visited the dentist regularly from the age of two, and she in turn has taken great care of our granddaughter 's teeth, brushing them herself until the child was old enough to brush her own.

My granddaughter has told me that my teeth are yellow (out of the mouths of babes...), and she is quite right. The enamel is quite thin after years of drinking acidic beverages. So my tip to my younger self would be to drink through a straw (non-plastic, of course). I don't use a whitener because I can't see how it could be good for my teeth. I use any "total care" toothpaste, and would be interested to try a mouthwash that promised to strengthen the enamel.

Caledonai14 Fri 07-Jun-19 11:17:39

My teeth are crooked and quite tightly packed. I do brush as recommended but flossing is out of the question most of the time. I did find some floss that didn't feel metallic, but when I tried to use it the plastic-type coating came off in wee strips and got stuck. Mouthwashes are the only way to reach certain parts!

BBbevan Fri 07-Jun-19 13:27:19

From the age of about 4 to 70 I went regularly to the dentist. The school dentist to begin with and then an excellent NHS dentist near our home. I always had 6 month check ups and followed our dentist when the practise moved to the other side of town.
We moved to Wales 3 years ago. Since then we have been unable to access an NHS dentist. Waiting list are incredibly long. Private practises are very expensive when one is on a pension and are not eligible for benefits. Luckily both DH and I have quite good teeth. Even so, DH and I are strict in dental care and we do use a mouth wash. We have tried the Reset one and quite liked it . We will return to it and take more note of any changes etc.

Nonnie Fri 07-Jun-19 13:44:27

Electric toothbrush with 2 minute timer. Whatever toothpaste is on offer. Don't floss because I read it is a waster of time. Interdent brush instead.

Don't drink fizzy drinks and eat chocolate and biscuits only occasionally. Don't like really sweet stuff. Possibly eat too much fruit.

Dentist and hygienist every six months.

Teeth less good due to undiagnosed hypothyroidism causing bleeding gums for several years.

My younger self - push for a reason for hypothyroid symptoms sooner.

quizqueen Fri 07-Jun-19 18:42:32

I regularly use mouthwash, especially on the days I go out to work - only the cheaper shop's own brand though. I am too lazy to floss regularly. I do still have all my own teeth at 66. I think, to a certain extent, it's in the genes whether you have good teeth or not.

BeHappy Sat 08-Jun-19 01:53:55

I brush twice a day for 2 minutes each time with an electric toothbrush.
I floss twice a day.
I use mouthwash a few times a day.
I brush my tongue twice a day.
I visit my dentist every 6 months.

andywedge Sat 08-Jun-19 02:13:51

It varies, I brush at least once a day, sometimes up to three; really depends on the time I have and where I am at

Rowantree Sat 08-Jun-19 03:37:14

How long do you brush your teeth for?
Night- depends how tired I am. Morning - about a minute or so.

Do you use mouthwash? - When I'm going out.

How have your teeth changed over time and has your oral care routine changed too? - I've lost a couple of molars over the years and my oral care is more rigorous these days as I've been getting older. I floss , which I didn't do when I was younger. Also I use mouthwash sometimes.

What about the dentist: are you someone who never fails to miss an appointment or are you more of an as-and-when type of person? - A bit of both. I visit the hygienist too.

Is there any advice you would give to your younger self about oral care? - Teeth and gums deteriorate faster if you don't look after them properly. Ensure your diet is healthy too - cut down on the sweets.

What type of toothpaste do you prefer? - I like a bicarbonate of soda one.

Do you always remember to brush your tongue too? - Sadly not. I know I should. Thanks for reminding me.

I used to think the stiffer the bristles the better. Not any more - my hygienist has pointed out that it has damaged my gums a little, so now I use a medium or even soft brush and try to brush away from the gums rather than scrubbing hard across them as I used to do.
I'm worried about my breath so will increase use of mouthwash if I can find one suitable which doesn't dry my mouth. I use a manual brush. I'm always open to learning more about oral care and I know my own hasn't always been ideal!

compy99 Sat 08-Jun-19 06:00:36

I brush my teeth 4 times a day and I use interdental sticks and a non alcohol fluoride mouthwash. I have had no end of fillings, extractions and crowns fitted, so I am trying to look after my teeth to avoid any more treatments.

sleavercole1 Sat 08-Jun-19 06:34:52

I floss at night and use an electric toothbrush for 2 minutes twice a day. I should probably use interdental brushes as well

hugshelp Sat 08-Jun-19 06:42:25

Brush with interdental brushes and electric toothbrush twice a day and odd spruce up with manual. Only use mouthwash occaisionally and sometimes rinse and gargle with salt water.

ricola Sat 08-Jun-19 06:43:35

I've started using an electric toothbrush and it's so much better than a normal one and toothpaste for sensitive teeth

crystaltipps Sat 08-Jun-19 07:01:16

Electric sonicare toothbrush and I also have a power flosser which I bought in Lidl. I don’t brush for long enough. I like the little brushes as well. I have several crowns and an expensive implant so am conscious of having to care for my teeth and gums. I visit the hygienist every 6 months and the dentist about once a year to check the implant and obviously when I have any problems. I use a private dentist as the NHS ones were almost as expensive, they didn’t offer implants and the turnover of dentists seemed high. I do use mouthwash when I’ve got it, but should remember to stock up. I’m trying a natural toothpaste at the moment which is supposedly eco friendly I’m not sure how effective it is. I wish I’d looked after my teeth and gums better in the past. Hopefully dental care manufacturers will address the too much plastic problem and make more environmentally friendly products and packaging.

Ara Sat 08-Jun-19 07:03:45

twice daily tooth brushing with a whitening toothpaste. I also do not eat a lot of sugary foods. I also floss every nigth