Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Let’s talk oral care routines with Listerine® - £300 voucher to be won

(273 Posts)
JustineBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 03-Jun-19 16:35:40

This activity is now closed

Looking after your teeth is an important part of everyone’s hygiene routine, it’s something that is drilled into us from a very young age. From ensuring you don’t eat too many sugary foods to flossing, there can be a lot of aspects to oral care, which is why Listerine® would like to know all about your oral care routine.

Here’s what Listerine® have to say: “In a modern age of increasingly busy lifestyles and diary-filled days it’s easy to neglect things like oral health. Whether it’s healthy foods or sweet treats that you enjoy the most as snacks, tucking into acidic or sugary food and drink weakens your teeth enamel. While brushing does help to take care of your oral health, brushing just your teeth only targets 25% of your mouth*, Listerine® mouthwash targets virtually 100%.

New Listerine® Nightly Reset mouthwash is scientifically proven to remineralize enamel for 6x stronger teeth versus brushing alone**. The mild “Midnight” flavoured formula boasts a high level of fluoride which restores weakened enamel and resets your whole mouth; a key step in your oral care regime.”

How long do you brush your teeth for? Do you use mouthwash? How have your teeth changed over time and has your oral care routine changed too? What about the dentist: are you someone who never fails to miss an appointment or are you more of an as-and-when type of person? Is there any advice you would give to your younger self about oral care? What type of toothpaste do you prefer? Do you always remember to brush your tongue too?

Whatever your tips, tricks and oral care routines are, post them on the thread below and everyone who does will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 VEX Gift Certificate which can be redeemed for any voucher on the voucher express website.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
GNHQ

*From study representing teeth surface area measurements
**in a lab study UK/LI/19-13725b

UK residents only, 18+. Must be a registered member of Gransnet. Enter from 4:30pm on 3rd June 2019 to 4.30pm on 24th June 2019. To participate, post a comment related to oral care on this thread below. Only 1 entry per person. Prizes: 1 x £300 VEX Gift Certificates exchangeable on voucherexpress.co.uk. Prize is subject to voucher express T&Cs. Full T&Cs can be found here. Promoter: Gransnet Limited of Studio 13-16 Deane House Studios, 27 Greenwood Place, London, NW5 1LB, GB

AbbiCGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 27-Jun-19 10:30:44

Thanks for all your comments and congratulations to @Holidayenthusiast for winning the voucher!

tishist Mon 24-Jun-19 16:31:38

I use an oral irrigator as my teeth are far too tight together for flossing.

Jess9887 Mon 24-Jun-19 15:45:37

I clench my teeth at night so I have to be careful with my teeth. I attend 6 month appointments and cleaning. I use an electric toothbrush and mouth wash and always brush for at least 2 mins.

holey Mon 24-Jun-19 14:07:33

I brush twice a day. I probably brush for 1-2 minutes but have never felt the need to time it.
I sometimes brush my tongue.
I sometimes use mouthwash.
I have a manual toothbrush.
My teeth are more discoloured than they were but no other changes so I use a whitening toothpaste now.
I go to the dentist twice a year but don't stress if I need to cancel or reschedule an appointment. I only have only filling- a root canal from when I was 25 and bit into a Snickers while waiting for a train at Reading station to go camping in Devon and the whole middle of my tooth came out. Funny what you remember. I'd tell my younger self to keep at it but to watch for the discolouring and to maybe use a whitening toothpaste earlier.

jacqroberts Mon 24-Jun-19 12:29:19

I go to my dentist every 6mths and dental hygienist every 6 mths so I get my teeth cleaned every 3 mths as I get plaque a lot.

hannahlw1985 Mon 24-Jun-19 12:25:08

I have an Oral B electric toothbrush, brush teeth for 3 minutes and use the gum/mouth softer function to brush my gums, tongue, palate and inside of cheeks, and do so at least 3 times a day. Half an hour after brushing I use mouthwash. Which toothpaste and mouthwash depends on how the health of my mouth is, I have health issues which take it's toll on my mouth and teeth so I use medicated stuff when needed.

Bellroyd Mon 24-Jun-19 10:28:20

Just be thorough with your teeth brushing and have a look-see after your efforts. Get some inter-dental brushes if you struggle with removing food from gaps etc.

Do what your hygienist tells you rather than wait to be told off on your next visit.

Piggypoo Mon 24-Jun-19 06:15:55

Without fail, I brush my teeth twice a day. I have sensitivity in a couple of teeth, so use a toothpaste that helps ease the symptoms. I have found it really helps, after thinking perhaps that these toothpastes were just a gimmick, and expensive. I floss twice daily, and after eating foods that get stuck, with expanding dental floss, as I can see what I've used, but it's also gentler than the plastic tape or normal floss.
I use mouthwash twice daily, and also if I need to freshen my mouth after eating.
I also used inter-dental brushes, my dentist told me they are great at getting into the crevices at the very back of the mouth, where a normal size toothbrush can't reach. I change my toothbrush as soon as the bristles start to splay out. I never miss my twice yearly check ups at the dentist, problems can be spotted earlier and dealt with. My advice to my younger self would be don't be scared of going to your appointments, and don't leave it for 10 years like I did! Luckily my teeth didn't suffer as they are strong, but I may not have been so lucky, and could have ended up with a mouthful of falsies!

8mhigh Mon 24-Jun-19 00:46:08

I wish I had had a lesson in dental hygene when young. In those days it was all 'drill & fill', not prevention. If I'd known about flossing and interdental brushes, I wouldn't have lost teeth due to hidden fruit fibres being trapped in between.

I'm doubtful of the usefulness of mouthwash. I've heard it suppresses good as well as bad/smelly bacteria, and if used after brushing (as most do) it may wash away the protective fluoride.

The latest research on dementia suggests dental bacteria may be a major causal factor, on top of its apparent role in heart disease, so dental hygene is no cosmetic indulgence.

JayJay1874 Mon 24-Jun-19 00:06:40

2 MINS electric and often the same again with mouthwash.

Penelopa024 Sun 23-Jun-19 22:56:10

If I could I would tell my younger self to get braces while younger

rainbowbutterfly Sun 23-Jun-19 22:35:50

How long do you brush your teeth for? As long as is necessary.

Do you use mouthwash? occasionally but the alcohol stings and I don't like some of the ones without.

How have your teeth changed over time and has your oral care routine changed too? I seem to be losing my enamel and it's chipped on one front too which is irritating as it looks broken.

What about the dentist: are you someone who never fails to miss an appointment or are you more of an as-and-when type of person? I usually go twice a year now as plaque needs to be taken off and my gums are painful, although when I was younger i got away with only going every 2-3 years.

Is there any advice you would give to your younger self about oral care? I would floss more and eat less sugar

What type of toothpaste do you prefer? For sensitive teeth and whitening. But the less chemicals the better as Colgate has ingredient that disagrees, not sure which one though.

Do you always remember to brush your tongue too? Only if it feels furry!!! Usually in the morning.

boxfords Sun 23-Jun-19 22:08:20

Floss, floss, floss! Often forgot but it's a really important part of everyone's dental regime.

sheemy Sun 23-Jun-19 21:54:24

Brush twice a day and floss at night.
rarely use mouthwash

katieskatie82 Sun 23-Jun-19 20:25:37

i brush twice a day and always floss and use mouthwash

Emmamaryd Sun 23-Jun-19 20:20:39

Brush my teeth daily. Never miss a dentist appointment.

Werthers Sun 23-Jun-19 19:58:15

2 minutes twice a day manual toothbrush

Mariobug25 Sun 23-Jun-19 18:50:44

I always make sure I give myself a good 10 minutes to complete my routine before bed. I do what my hygienist recommended and floss first, brush and then mouthwash. I had to go for a scrape and polish and honestly was so upset to find that my gums were in pretty bad shape, so I’m following their recommendation to a tee.

Ottodog Sun 23-Jun-19 18:41:37

I always brush twice a day, although I don't tend to use mouthwash. I floss regularly

novadragon849 Sun 23-Jun-19 18:40:21

Brush teeth twice a day and use mouthwash. Every other day absolutely recommend using a dental brush for gum cleaning.

paulapantaloons Sun 23-Jun-19 18:01:50

I love brushing my teeth, I’m a bit rubbish and never use mouthwash but always brush morning and night and floss in the evenings.
I leave my toothbrush sat in corsodyl once a week to keep it germ free and replace my toothbrush often x

suzybe Sun 23-Jun-19 17:21:23

Don't forget how useful the little brushes are for cleaning gaps in teeth and around the gumline if you have crowns or bridges. Great before a Listerine rinse.

HannahLI Sun 23-Jun-19 16:07:36

Im pretty regular and routine and I don't like it if I miss a slot of teeth cleaning. Im really regular at the dentist as my teeth changed quite a lot when I was pregnant and it really made me sit up and pay more attention.

shaddai88 Sun 23-Jun-19 15:42:00

I use a electric tooth brush and it has a timer to brush one area for 2 minutes. I move it to a different position when the bleep sound goes. Since using an electric toothbrush I have less dental problem. I brush my teeth twice a day, after breakfast and before I go to bed.

I use to use a mouthwash and have not noticed any difference since I stopped.

I would recommend a good electric tooth brush if you can with a timer. I see my dentist about once a year. I occasionally brush my tongue and I use Colgate tooth paste and at times do try different ones.

christineM Sun 23-Jun-19 13:39:57

How long do you brush your teeth for?
Two minutes morning and night

Do you use mouthwash?
Sometimes

How have your teeth changed over time and has your oral care routine changed too?
No drastic changes, floss regularly

What about the dentist: are you someone who never fails to miss an appointment or are you more of an as-and-when type of person?
I never miss regular appointments

Is there any advice you would give to your younger self about oral care?
Floss

What type of toothpaste do you prefer?
Sensitive teeth

Do you always remember to brush your tongue too?
Yes