Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Let’s talk about cruise travel with NCL - £300 voucher to be won

(449 Posts)
YanaGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 20-Aug-19 10:05:48

Cruise holidays can be an ideal option for those who love a care-free holiday, visiting new cities or having different scenery every day without the hassle of unpacking more than once. Whether you’ve been on a cruise or not, Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) would like to hear your thoughts. If you’re an experienced cruise-goer they’d love to hear your top tips, and what you wish you'd known before your first cruise. And, if you’ve never been on a cruise, they would also like to find out what you would find helpful before going on a holiday at sea.

Here’s what NCL has to say: “New to cruising? Not sure what to expect? Look no further – this handy guide tells you everything you need to know about holidays at sea. From accommodation choices to entertainment, what to pack and what to do on board, we’ve demystified cruising and you’ll discover why it really is the perfect holiday choice for everyone.”

So what are your tips and tricks when selecting a cruise holiday and how do you make sure it is an enjoyable experience? What are your expectations of a cruise holiday and what are the must-haves on board you can’t go without? How do you prepare and what do you pack for a cruise? How can cruise companies make it your perfect holiday at sea?

If you haven’t travelled on a cruise, what would tempt you to do so? What have you heard about cruises that you would like to understand more about? Now is the time to indulge in your curiosity of cruise holidays.

Please share your views on cruise holidays and you will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher for a store of your choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ
Terms and conditions apply

chelseababy Tue 20-Aug-19 17:21:38

Funnily enough we've just booked our first NCL cruise + to South America. Have sailed with several other lines. NCL sounds quite casual re dining and dress code. I love waking up somewhere new everyday. Too tips - take tea bags and extension lead. A plastic shoe caddy for the bathroom door is also handy to store your bits and bobs.

Nonnie Tue 20-Aug-19 17:44:02

I'd want to know more about the difference between rooms in different parts of the ship. I suffer with motion sickness so would want to know which cabin moves least.

I remember when cruises were all posh frock and dinner suits so would want to know what was expected.

I think I would just like more information about everything!

Grannyknot Tue 20-Aug-19 21:15:24

I love the thought of waking up somewhere new every day (or every few days! smile )

I'd love to go on a cruise but am scared at the thought of rough seas! Are cruise routes planned to avoid stormy seasons?

Abuelamia Tue 20-Aug-19 22:11:01

I love the idea of a new place to wake up to every morning, yet at the end of each day I go back to the same room and my clothes are hanging in the wardrobe. No unpacking and packing.
Eating in fabulous restaurants, meeting lots of new people, a choice of theatre or relaxing entertainment each evening.
I like the choice of dressing up for dinner or casual eating in a buffet.
I prefer cruises, that include prepaid gratuities, a drinks package and onboard wifi.
When choosing a cruise, itinerary is the priority and being able to pick my exact stateroom is essential.

elizab Wed 21-Aug-19 03:49:24

i love the idea of crusies but am worried about very rough seas !

prwilson Wed 21-Aug-19 05:23:47

I've never actually been on a cruise, but I like the sound of them and I would like to give one a try.

Michelleoliver Wed 21-Aug-19 06:44:55

I would love to go on a cruise holiday thr thought of bring able to visit lots of different places without the hassle of using public transport, what a treat!

Marydoll Wed 21-Aug-19 06:52:07

My friends all cruise, but my husband won't consider it, despite all my efforts to persuade him.

He thinks it will be too expensive, claustrophobic and is afraid he will be seasick.
I on the other hand, think it is a fantastic way to see lots of new places, with all the hard work done for you.
My friend regales me with tales of fine dining and a relaxing time.

ricola Wed 21-Aug-19 06:59:21

Never been on one but have seen some big ones in the ocean from holidaying in Mexico and would love to go on one

Monkeykv Wed 21-Aug-19 07:02:19

Cruising is simply the best way to see the world. You can go to sleep and wake up in a different place every day.

glenka Wed 21-Aug-19 07:07:51

It's something I've never done but would really like to. I'm going to seriously think about booking one.

Nortsat46 Wed 21-Aug-19 07:18:12

We have been on both river cruises and ocean cruises.
My personal preference is ocean-going on larger ships. Though these vessels look vast, there is enough space to allow you to tailor your trip to how you like to holiday.

For us, interesting excursions are most important. We find them well organised and an easy way to see the highlights and the best experiences the port has to offer.

We like the choices of dining on the ship, a table for two is our preference and this is always accommodated. The food is always very good and the dining experiences are always interesting and varied.

There is much to entertain you on sea-going days and again the choice is yours. We have enjoyed art lectures, wine tastings, the latest film releases, live music and we always head to the piano bar for a drink before dinner to listen to the jazz.

I find cruising worry free, fun, interesting, good value for money and much more flexible than many people imagine.

jeniferpettitt Wed 21-Aug-19 07:18:48

I have enjoyed cruises from Hull because it is our nearest port & convenient & friends can take us there & collect us back after our cruise. The food, entertainment & activities on board has been fantastic. We have created many happy memories & met new friends who we keep in touch with.

compy99 Wed 21-Aug-19 07:38:41

Have not been on one, but my Daughter has and she loved it. would like a small cruise around the med.

carol2712 Wed 21-Aug-19 07:41:07

I love a cruise and find it very relaxing, there is plenty to do if you want or just sit back and watch the world go by.

I have seen some people with more case than I have ever owned but we keep it down to two only packing an item if it goes with three other things, maybe not a problem on a short cruise but we have been lucky enough to sail to Australia and back so a long time at sea. I do like to see if we can get to our holiday destination by ship as it is relaxing and have been known to take several cruises back to back on different ships to get there, which costwise is as cheap as flying business class but a lot more fun.

I love time at sea but I know many just long for the port days, have visited so many places I would not have seen if not for the cruise, the only downside is that you can bet the port has more than one ship in and some places we have seen six and when some have up to 6000 passengers it can be horrid getting around, we like the smaller ships upto 2000 is plenty big enough for me.

It is a lovely way to travel and see the world but like all holidays it depends on what you put into it to what you get out of it.

Lindsey29 Wed 21-Aug-19 07:58:11

Would absolutely love to take my kiddies on a disney cruise. I have had friends and family go on cruises, and they think it's the best holiday they have had. I think a cruise holiday would most definitely suit all my family, as we like to be entertained; and there appears to be so many activities to get involved in. So I'll keep saving those pennies.

crusosa Wed 21-Aug-19 08:01:14

I've never been in a cruise, but I think I'd enjoy it, of course. Visiting a different place every day sounds simply great!

Helsbells68 Wed 21-Aug-19 08:05:19

Cruises are so much more informal than they used to be and are a great way to see ever changing scenery without having to move accommodations.

bobble5366 Wed 21-Aug-19 08:08:45

Oh my, I love a cruise, there are so many levels of the ship to walk on, the hustle and bustle of the deck with the swimming pool and activities, a quiet spot on the lower decks to find a deck chair to lie on listening to the sea splashing against the side of the ship, activities to try - I loved the towel folding. Then you can choose to see the port towns -or stay on board to make use of a half empty ship. Then there's the glorious food to try, you can have almost anything. Finally the evening entertainment is just amazing - choose a show - top quality, or go to the cinema - or simply relax on your balcony take in the starlit sky. (This is when I practice my starspotting/astronomy skills).

Maggiemaybe Wed 21-Aug-19 08:13:01

We’re not regular cruisers, but two very basic tips helped us save room in our cabin.

The first sounds very obvious, but we’ve come across people who just don’t realise their cases will fit out of the way under their beds. smile

And secondly, take a few strong fridge magnets. Your cabin walls are metal and all those itineraries, daily newsletters and other paperwork can be kept off your limited surface space and displayed up above for easy viewing.

AR2127 Wed 21-Aug-19 08:20:01

Family enjoys it. I've yet to be on one. Like the idea of going someday though.

Harris27 Wed 21-Aug-19 08:20:45

I’m going on a cruise this Saturday. It’s two years since the last one and the memories are still vivid. I love the fact that you can have everything under one roof. I haven’t as yet ever suffered from sea sickness but only done med cruises. We like the fine dining some nights and the free style others. I like the choice. And no you don’t get sat with people you don’t know we were sat at a table for two and kept there every night. With the same waiter and staff.we are going through royal Caribbean and find the experience great. I do find them a little expensive with add ons but you can get around that.

emmal01 Wed 21-Aug-19 08:36:32

I love the sea but don’t fancy a holiday on there, maybe I’d feel different if I gave a cruise a try...

renaplumridge Wed 21-Aug-19 08:42:26

Don’t like the idea of cruising personally, too many people and too much water!