Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Gransnetters share where they would like to travel in the world and what it is that's stopping them with Staysure

(446 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 27-Jan-20 09:55:22

This sponsored discussion is now closed. Thank you to everyone who posted!

We all have a dream destination that we’d love to travel to - somewhere where you’ve always wanted to go, but never got around to visiting. While some would love to go on Safari in South Africa, others would be happier lounging on the white sand beaches of Greece. Whether you’d like to travel near or far, there can be many barriers to travel. Perhaps you simply don’t have the time to travel, or think that the total cost of the trip might break the bank? Or maybe you have fears about not being able to speak the language, or your health not being protected while abroad? With this in mind, Staysure would love to hear from you.

Here’s what Staysure have to say: “At Staysure, we believe that if something’s worth doing, then it’s worth doing right. That’s why our customers voted us the UK’s Best Travel Insurance Provider in the British Travel Awards.

We all want to be able to enjoy our holiday, knowing that we will be covered should something happen. We do not want to have to worry about possible repercussions and for that reason having good quality travel insurance should be a priority.”

If you could book a ticket right now, where in the world would you like to visit? What are the barriers that are stopping you from going (eg health, finances, mobility, fear of flying)? Is travel insurance important to you when booking a trip? Does travel insurance give you the piece of mind that you’ll be protected when abroad, or do you have some reservations about what will be covered.

So whether you want to take the trip of a lifetime or just a short weekend away, share below what it is that’s stopping you and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one lucky GNer will win a £300 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

Gaunt47 Mon 27-Jan-20 10:04:52

Dream destination? Easter Island/Rapanui. Barrier? The cost of getting there. And if I could afford the travel, I could afford a bells and whistles insurance package.
Travel insurance is so important for peace of mind, and I've never had a problem talking to an agent to find out what's appropriate for the trip I'm making.

cangran Mon 27-Jan-20 11:48:57

Vietnam. I don't want to go on my own and am hoping my son will accompany me on this one long-haul trip before I feel too old to travel. I am really aware of the effects of air travel on the climate and recently have had very few trips, travelled closer to home, mostly by train.

Marmight Mon 27-Jan-20 17:53:40

Cambodia & Vietnam. I’m hoping to get there one day soon .......

Galen Mon 27-Jan-20 17:54:22

India. What stops me? Health, lack of mobility, difficulty in getting insurance, lastly a helper to go with me!

JuliaM Mon 27-Jan-20 18:39:26

Always dreampt of one day going on a world cruise, l could have gone as a private Nurse/Carer when l worked for a large national Nursing agency. What stoped me? My family needed me at home, and working for 90 days and nights shadowing the same person with very little 'down time' would have been exhausting. Have left it far to late now to even consider it, l can only dream of what may have been. My mobility and health are too poor for any cruiseline or insurance company to accept me, my holidays are now strictly within the Uk only, and fai rly close to home at that!

NotSpaghetti Mon 27-Jan-20 18:46:24

Oooh, so many places - but only some are possible within our budget.
I’d like to see the Northern Lights which is achievable I feel. Some more exotic places, less so. We always buy decent travel insurance. It is definitely important “just in case”.

Pittcity Mon 27-Jan-20 18:53:02

I have a long list of places I'd love to visit and it's only the cost that is stopping me. Alaska is high on the list.
I'd always have travel insurance and have noticed the premiums creeping up recently.

love0c Mon 27-Jan-20 19:18:15

I used to love long haul holidays when we went as a family. Now it is just me and my husband and I don' t really want to go long haul. I have to work up to doing that. We always take insurance and would never travel without it. My reason for not travelling more is being afraid I would feel lonely/homesick and wish I could get home. It is sad really I guess, as we can afford to go anywhere and we both have very good health too.

love0c Mon 27-Jan-20 19:20:44

ps insurance is something you need. Do not worry about it and just pay the cost. Nothing to do with travelling or not as the case may be.

MerylStreep Mon 27-Jan-20 19:28:43

It would have to be Yellowstone. We've been saying it for years but then some other holiday crops up.
To be honest, over the past few years I've become bored and fidgety on longer flights.

BBbevan Mon 27-Jan-20 19:46:01

Japan at cherry blossom time. Cost is a major concern .

dahlia Mon 27-Jan-20 19:49:38

I would love to visit Venice, but only if someone could magically remove 50% of the crowds for me! So often, places we visit are also attractions for thousands of other people, and so our own "dream city" is not the cultural haven we were expecting! Went into the Blue Mountains in Australia, and found an outlook unused by anyone else, it was so special. On the way up the slope back to the car, we encountered a coach load of Korean visitors, so for once we timed things just right!

Doodledog Mon 27-Jan-20 20:33:21

I would love to go to Iceland.

What stops me is partly that my husband is perfectly happy to stay in the UK, and I no longer have friends to holiday with like I did when I was at work.

I am also put off a bit by insurance (cost and availability), as I now have a few health issues.

If someone from Staysure is reading this, it would be really useful to have a website that gave quotes based on health issues without needing to give an email address. That really puts me off even finding out the cost.

NannaBanana Mon 27-Jan-20 20:48:29

Always wanted to visit Japan. What puts me off is cost, and not having anyone to go with. I am not very courageous and I fear I’d just sit in the hotel left to my own devices, which would be a waste. Insurance is vital for me for peace of mind. I have some not insurmountable health issues, but agree with previous poster who wants a rough guide to health conditions and what is and is not likely to be a problem, without having to give over all my details first.

HettyMaud Mon 27-Jan-20 20:52:45

Costa Rica for the wildlife. What's stopping me is I hate flying, the cost and my health.

craftergran Mon 27-Jan-20 21:17:44

I'd like to see far away places however the cost and the doing long haul flights stops me.

Scrumptious Mon 27-Jan-20 22:18:07

Ohhhh Santorini with its magical views and beautiful architecture and of course the local vineyards and yummy eggplant with Greek yoghurt I could go on ! Only thing that holds me back is the very long flight and not being so young & fit anymore do need excellent travel insurance to cover existing medical conditions
I might also need to win the lottery as it would be costly and I do love a bit of luxury and being spoilt Ahhh well one can only dream

NanaandGrampy Mon 27-Jan-20 22:47:06

Hawaii from the big island to the garden island and all those in between ! I can see myself now sipping a mai tais at a luau. Enjoying the graceful hula dancers before surfing the wave crashed shore ! ( alright I MIGHT have missed the boat on that one ?

What stops me ? Apart from cost ? Accessibility I think . I travel with my mobility scooter , it’s never an issue and I usually rent a car at the airport but it’s the unknowns that can throw a spanner in the works . Is the hotel truly accessible ( often it’s assessed by an able bodied person who doesn’t see the challenges always)? Is sightseeing possible for someone like me ? It’s all that type of thing . Can I get reasonable insurance?

I do still travel internationally but now tend to go back to places I know well to make the trip easier .

summergal Mon 27-Jan-20 22:47:12

well the main thing that stops us travelling more is firstly, finances and lack of time to take holidays/trips. Secondly and probably most important is The Cat!
She hates us going away and gets all depressed. Each holiday is really a guilt trip!

Callistemon Mon 27-Jan-20 22:50:22

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

cornergran Mon 27-Jan-20 23:27:26

The dream destination here is The Falkland Islands. It feels the ultimate adventure. What stops us other than the cost? Nothing! If money were no object it would be booked tomorrow. I’m a champion worrier and so won’t stir from the UK without travel insurance, it’s always researched before booking a holiday.

toscalily Mon 27-Jan-20 23:38:26

I would love to visit Japan, in particular some of the famous Japanese gardens. Finance is the main reason for my not going but I would definitely take out insurance for such a trip if I were to go.

Florentine88 Tue 28-Jan-20 04:45:32

I would love to go to Australia.....I have always dreamt about going since I was small and saw pictures in my encyclopaedia! I haven’t got there yet mostly due to cost and the older I get the less mobile I have become and I worry how I would cope or if anything went wrong with my health whilst I was there.....but wether I ever get there ...time will tell but at least I can still look at pictures in my encyclopaedia (I still have it) or updated version on the Internet ...

devonnanny Tue 28-Jan-20 07:19:11

I would love to do a grand tour around Europe, there are so many places I would love to see including Rome, Berlin, Venice, Madrid - I usually arrange our holidays myself, booking flights, hotels and travel rather than booking a package. I feel a bit daunted at the prospect of putting together a multi centre break myself and would want very good travel insurance. Also my OH has some pre-existing conditions which would need to be covered by any policy we took out.