Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Ask Sarah Anderson from Cancer Research UK your questions about leaving legacy gifts in your Will

(62 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 03-Feb-20 13:32:14

This Q&A is now closed. You can find answers here.

While most people leave their assets to those closest to them, many are choosing to leave a gift in their will to a charitable organisation. Such an emotional decision might be made even more difficult by the lack of information or confusion of how to go about it. With this in mind, Cancer Research UK would like to help answer any questions you might have about writing a will or leaving a legacy gift, and have Sarah Anderson on hand to help.

Here’s what Cancer Research UK have to say: “We know from meeting our wonderful supporters that people have left us a gift in their will because they are passionate about helping beat cancer and want some money from their lifetime to continue the fight against cancer when they are gone. But we want to hear from Gransnet users about if you’ve ever thought about leaving a gift in your will to charity, and to share your general thoughts around legacy giving.”

More information on Sarah Anderson can be found below:
Sarah has worked in Legacies at Cancer Research UK over 5 years, and is now the Senior Legacy Partnership Manager for the Friends and Family Team, supporting the loved ones of those that have left a charitable gift or legacy in their will. She has over twenty years of charitable experience alongside corporate, media and private sector careers and over a decade invested solely in legacy giving and relationship management. She is keen to raise awareness of the vital importance of legacy giving to charities as well as demystify the cultural stigma of end of life giving, and will and estate planning.

Would you’d like to know what are the considerations you need to keep in mind when writing your Will or are keen to find out how to go about leaving a legacy gift? Are you interested to find out how to do it or what this would mean to your family? Do you know what you can leave to an organisation with a worthy cause? Or maybe you want to know how your legacy gift will be used? CRUK expert will help you out.

Whatever questions you have around leaving a will or legacy gifts, please post them on the thread below and we will choose approximately 12 questions for Sarah to answer in a week’s time. Everyone who posts their questions will be entered into a prize draw where 1 lucky GNer will win a £150 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck
GNHQ

Insight T&Cs apply

gillybob Tue 04-Feb-20 10:21:51

I have supported CRUK with monthly direct debits for many years and will continue to do so.

I won’t have a lot to leave in my will to my own small family coming from a Northern working class background and I myself have never benefitted from an inheritance, nor am I ever likely to.

I would consider leaving a small bequest to CRUK . The only thing that puts me off is the thought that some executives getting very rich off the back of donations that might be better off in my own children’s pocket. How can you assure me that this is not the case .

vampirequeen Tue 04-Feb-20 10:26:53

What happens if I leave some money to CRUK but then there isn't enough in my estate to pay them?

missblueeyes Tue 04-Feb-20 16:10:04

is it better to tell family you have left a legacy gift or better not?

Grannyknot Tue 04-Feb-20 16:28:32

What other sources of funding support CRUK?

SophieCar13 Wed 05-Feb-20 12:35:31

I have often wondered what percentage of my money if I left some to CRUK would actually go into research it’s self? I’m always worried that it will go to corporate people in suits rather than actual Research into Cancer?

twirlywhirly Wed 05-Feb-20 12:37:42

I would certainly consider doing this for my future generations, great idea would to be have card to make family aware of this, does it all go directly to CRUK or is there money taken from it that would be my worry don’t like middle men!

Auntieflo Wed 05-Feb-20 14:10:44

I am undecided as to whether leave anything to a big organisation.
Why? Because I have heard of people being harried for the bequest, and I don't like the thought of that happening to my family at such a distressing time.

Doe this happen with CRUK?

GeminiJen Wed 05-Feb-20 18:20:26

I have made arrangements in my Will for several legacy gifts to be made, all to relatively small and local charities I’ve been involved with over the years. I’ve avoided larger charities because of the concerns others have already mentioned.......fat cat salaries for CEOs, money spent....wasted?....on administration...and relatives being pursued etc....Can you provide any reassurance ....facts and figures etc which might lead me to change my mind?

theresacoo Thu 06-Feb-20 10:45:29

Who implements the payment when I pass?

susiesioux Thu 06-Feb-20 11:28:42

We already did just that when we updated our will after the birth of our granddaughters

sunshine57 Thu 06-Feb-20 12:25:25

I shall be leaving a legacy to Cancer Research UK.
I have had Breast Cancer twice and it is important to me that research is ongoing with the best researchers available.
I am concerned about CEO's salaries and too much spent on administration.
I should like to see how the legacies are spent which should be freely available.

marpau Thu 06-Feb-20 12:27:57

Is the legacy liable to tax?

narrowboatnan Thu 06-Feb-20 13:12:05

What amount is one expected to leave? Is there a set amount? What happens if there isn't enough money in the estate to cover the amount promised when you die?

flash1701 Thu 06-Feb-20 14:24:26

Is leaving a legacy in a will using these free wills supported by charities, equally as good as using a solicitor direct.

Grannyjacq1 Thu 06-Feb-20 16:13:12

How do I know WHICH cancer charity to choose? My mother had pancreatic cancer, my father has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Marie Curie nurses, and the local hospice, were both very helpful when my mother was ill, at the end of her life. Is it best to support a charity like CRUK, or a more local/specific cancer charity? At the moment I try to support all of them, but if leaving money in my will, it might be easier to support one or two.

Echame Thu 06-Feb-20 16:57:35

I will have very little to leave as my small nuclear family will necessarily always come first, particularly as I now finally have a long awaited and cherished little grandson whose future I will definitely want to help towards. I just wondered if even a very small donation to CRUK would be helpful or might seem too embarrassing paltry and mean to even consider?

Annamaria0 Thu 06-Feb-20 17:51:12

Can you stipulate how you wish your legacy is spent, for example, can you ask it is spent on research rather than fund-raising?

greenfinger5 Fri 07-Feb-20 13:13:12

What percentage of my donation goes to the cause?

eviesgranny Fri 07-Feb-20 17:12:25

Are the funds bequeathed used for specific projects? Is the gifter identifiable?

Rabbit Fri 07-Feb-20 18:12:56

Is it advisable to nominate more than one charity in case one of them folds or receives bad publicity due to mismanagement or unsavoury behaviour of its members?

mumofmadboys Fri 07-Feb-20 18:20:23

What percentage of any donation is spent on research and personnel and how much is spent on fund raising?

Candelle Fri 07-Feb-20 18:20:41

Unfortunately the recent case(s?) of charities fighting relatives over a legacy has left a rather nasty taste.
Ditto the salaries of some CEO's. I understand that one has to pay for top people but when some CEO's receive eye-watering sums, it puts me off donating to that charity.
I am not keen on the idea of a percentage being given to charity in my will.
As I trust my family implicitly I will ask them to donate to a charity (or two) on my behalf - they know the charities that I currently support and that are dear to me. This way, they are comfortable with the amount they donate and I know that the money will arrive at the charity.

quizqueen Fri 07-Feb-20 19:15:21

My question is- why are the directors of charities paid so much? Don't say that it's to get the best, because the hard slog is done by volunteers, not by the paid people at the top; they're just pen pushers and freebie lovers. Being the Prime Minister of a country is far more important than being a director of a charity and that position is poorly paid, in comparison.

David Miliband is reported to be paid $500,000 a year by the charity job he took, when he left this country in a huff because his brother won the Labour leadership. International Rescue, my ar*e? Isn't that the job of Thunderbirds!!!! All these high salaries means less for the actual purpose of the charity, which is why I only give to local small charities which are mainly volunteer based.

Seakay Fri 07-Feb-20 21:30:48

are posts working with the charity paid according to what is considered to be a fair scale, or do you negotiate with individuals to finalise their salaries?