Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

What are your experiences of the job market? Share with Mumsnet Talent - £100 voucher to be won

(107 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 06-Apr-20 11:20:30

In a recent survey, 37% of over 50s told us that others in the workplace have assumed that they’re not career motivated. With that clearly not the case for many, Mumsnet Talent - which focuses on flexibility in the workplace and encouraging employers to accept employees’ varied lifestyles - would like to hear about your experience of the job market as you’ve gotten older.

Here’s what Mumsnet Talent has to say: “With the state pension age ever-increasing, more and more people are working into their sixties and beyond. With this in mind, it’s crucial that employers make sure their workplace is equipped to support older people to develop and maintain their careers. Along with Gransnet, we’re working to raise awareness of this across all sectors, recently hosting a roundtable discussion with some of the UK’s top employers to discuss the ways in which roles can be made accessible to everyone.”

Have you found potential employers value the wealth of experience you bring to the table? Or perhaps you’ve felt that your age has had a negative impact on being offered roles? Have you experienced assumptions that you won’t be able to cope with tech platforms while at work, or that you’re hesitant to change?

Whatever your experience of the job market as you’ve gotten older, share it on the thread below to be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £100 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

Clarkehouse Wed 29-Apr-20 12:11:59

I retired from my full time job last year at the age of 59. Since then I have been doing a casual invigilator job and have just been offered another casual job as a Care worker with adults with a learning disability. I consider myself to be quite lucky to have both of these in light of some stories I hear about ageism.

Rozzy Wed 29-Apr-20 11:13:59

I am 59, have been self employed since I was 21. Started doing garden maintenance then set up a small nursery with my husband. After 3 children & training as a florist, I have diversified but we have managed to survive, just; hoping to make it to retirement!

Rowsie Wed 29-Apr-20 10:19:43

I am retired now but was made redundant when I was 45 and I had no trouble then finding another job. Five years later, at 50, I wanted to change my job and set off on another job search and was offered two jobs almost immediately. I have never felt my age was a problem. I would like to add that I have no qualifications and was only doing office work so it is not as if I was highly trained for anything but every time I went for an interview people seemed to be impressed with my common sense and my reliability.

Nendels Wed 29-Apr-20 10:17:49

I was made redundant in my 50s - my firm was taken over. I applied for job after job but often did not even receive a reply. I got the occasional interview. It was very disheartening especially as I had taken day release from my previous job and had a Masters degree. Hard work to achieve with a full time job and family. I felt I was not valued and on the scrap heap.
At the age of 63 I applied for a job invigilating exams at the local school. 10 years later I am still there. Very busy in May and June - and other exams throughout the year. It gives me pocket money and I feel needed. Mind you I also do school runs etc for my grand children.

Authoress Wed 29-Apr-20 09:54:09

I gave up a fairly high-powered (but stalled) career a couple of years ago, aged 58, to go freelance. I decided that staying in the rat race was pointlessly stressful, and that I'd rather pull in my spending horns and try and have a go at writing full time. I'm much poorer and much happier!

Roddi3363 Wed 29-Apr-20 09:49:30

Morning all,
I am working as a trainer, consultant, speaker and author in the education world at the age of 65. I work alone and with a group of several others informally often at conferences. I am still ambitious as I see that as the drive to keep me well informed and useful professionally to others. I am writing my second book (Non-fiction) and often write journal articles too. With the recent pandemic I am starting to use webinars and be filmed for social media clips. I will know when I should stop.

Maggiemaybe Wed 29-Apr-20 07:37:03

My experience is in education. As others have said, academisation has changed the landscape in schools, and this has had significant impact on older staff in particular. Whereas there was once a system of gradual progression on a fixed salary scale, and experience was valued, many academy trusts see themselves as businesses first and foremost and on taking over a school look to cut its operating costs as quickly as possible. There are ways of getting rid of the higher paid and some of them aren’t pleasant.

Txquiltz Wed 29-Apr-20 05:03:24

I also am a retired nurse(ICU, A and E, and 10 years in management). At first I loved the freedom of my days, but boredom soon came. I talked to a local florist. First I simply delivered the bouquets, but then they taught me how to arrange everything from tiny nosegays to very large sprays. Physically, I can no longer hold down a full time job, but do arrangements for friends occasionally. It has given me many happy, productive hours.

steph8 Wed 29-Apr-20 04:41:54

I have applied for many vacancies I was over qualified for and been rejected (I think due to age). I know so many people who have been selected for redundancy because their firm wants to take on young cheap labour instead.

etheltbags1 Tue 28-Apr-20 23:01:35

I work as a market researcher, cold calling on the public in their homes. Having done this almost 20 years I was in my mid 40 when I started. I did not mind being out all weather's dealing with difficult people alone in their homes, I learned to cope with a few physical scars and some mental scars too. The company makes no adaptationsfor age in the actual work that would be impossible but as the wage is paid on success only they have been ok over the last few years when I have had illness, I can work few hours or more as I wish as my targets are flexible. If I don't hit targets I just don't get paid.
Many people who do this are retired and have a pension, this job seems to appeal to retired teachers and civil servants who are always well heeled, so I suppose a drop in pay means little to them. The company I work for is fair and my bosses kind so I can't complain but given the last 20 years back I would not do it again

rags Tue 28-Apr-20 13:47:07

Happily employed as an exam invigilator along with other OAPs!

wendycl Tue 28-Apr-20 12:38:52

I have great work experiences - flexible working part time, work at home as needed. No problems with lockdown, just more home working and busy as ever. I keep up to date with IT and enjoy the training provided by my employer (a Local Authority) to ensure I keep up to date. A fab work/life balance.

Hetty58 Tue 28-Apr-20 12:03:58

Working in education, I felt that my experience as an 'oldie' was highly valued. In fact, I think it was an advantage, as younger people were more likely to change course or find new jobs. They had more absences due to family and childcare problems. We were respected and considered to be more committed and reliable.

Candelle Tue 28-Apr-20 11:56:07

Most older employees carry with them attributes gleaned throughout the years that are helpful in many employment settings, however, there is a double-edged sword: an older employee, if in the same role and has accrued salary rises year on year, becomes expensive. It is often much cheaper to let the older employee retire and replace them with a younger (ergo, cheaper) body.

'Old' people are often seen as not worthy, just in respect of their age. This is obviously unlawful but it frequently happens.

I was on an interview panel and employed a 58-year-old lady who had little experience but I thought I saw a hard-working individual, keen to participate and learn. I met that lady many years later and she practically kissed the ground I was standing on, as apparently the job gave her self-respect, enjoyment and gave her a new lease of life.

Unfortunately, I think that technology can be the downfall of older employees for unless it is taught correctly, it can be confusing. Good teaching is all that is necessary (OK and perhaps a little more time than with younger people!).

Larsonsmum Tue 28-Apr-20 10:56:05

People suceed nowadays if they are more versatile and can 'turn their hand' to many different options. Gone are the days of a 'job for life' and in MHO that is not a bad thing. I know many people who have diversified apprehesively, but love what they are now doing.

DiJones Tue 28-Apr-20 09:20:28

No problems as a teacher, able to retire after 35 years

falconer Mon 27-Apr-20 16:18:41

I actually got my current job as a sort of secretary in the NHS at the age of 52. They chose me because they said they wanted someone steady and reliable. And I've seen off three younger colleagues in those years. Unfortunately that means I am usually working part-time on my own, and have to do one and a half week's work in half a week! - Valerie

GagaJo Sun 26-Apr-20 13:20:50

I am a teacher. I'm in my mid 50's.

I left the UK at 49 to go and work abroad for 4 years. When I returned, the job market for teachers had changed drastically. Part of this is due to the academisation of schools, which means that schools are now able to negotiate with teachers about salary, whereas prior to academisation, teachers had a fixed point on a payscale, which schools were required to honour.

My experiences have been:

* Being called for interview and asked about salary expectations despite my having given salary information for each job I've previously held.

* When stating my payscale point, asked if I was prepared to negotiate.

* Being asked to re-provide my Threshold folder, to PROVE I had deserved to go through to the upper pay scale (even though this was in the past) and when I was unable to do so (due to no longer having documentation etc), having my salary lowered despite a previously agreed upon salary point.

* Being made to re-interview for my job and failing to be re-appointed.

* Having terms and conditions change once in a job (with a contract) and more or less told, accept it or you're out.

* Watching a colleague of my age hounded out of her job through continual checks and observations causing her ill-health.

In relation to DOING my actual work, my relationships within my departments and with the students, things have been EXACTLY the same. I'm hard working and staff and students know this and appreciate it.

But ultimately, management do NOT want to hire someone over 50. AND they do not want to pay us what we're worth, in the UK.

Overseas, Asia in particular, is different. Age and experience are valued and they are prepared to pay for it.

Mollygo Sun 26-Apr-20 12:33:42

I retired from teaching but was asked to go back and teach Music and computing. It meant I had to learn coding and revise the course on html that I did about 10 years ago. I still do that online now.
I also do website management.
I find I’m appreciated, though what will happen after lockdown finishes-if it ever does I have no idea.

cozitsme Sat 25-Apr-20 09:17:33

Having become stuck in my past position as HR Administrator at a private run care home, I decided to venture back into my own city to try and further my career. Due to having been pretty much the HR Dept for the company, I found I was being turned down because I was either too old, had too much experience as I could take on any HR role or didn't have the qualifications as I had only studied to Level 3. Becoming aware that I was never going progress in an office setting, I switched careers and moved into food retail. Within 18 months, I had moved up from a basic Customer Assistant to Store Manager running my own team and utilising my HR experience in full. Never give up hope, someone out there will give you the chance. PS I turn 50 this year and put my career on hold to raise my children as a single mum.

Babs758 Fri 24-Apr-20 13:57:29

Sorry to @Sopranoigj

Babs758 Fri 24-Apr-20 13:56:35

I sing too and play violin.. love your voice.. I must get my hubby to start rehearsing with me - he is spending time doing backing tracks for other people!.. Lovely green dress too. Sadly my upper arms would not look good in it!

Overthehill5 Fri 24-Apr-20 11:44:00

I am sixty still working full time, but hope to go part time soon, my sales job has just become too busy and more and more fast paced, I will probably if I can find something completely different, it’s good to keep busy

maryandbuzz1 Fri 24-Apr-20 10:14:09

After years of being passed over for promotion I decided to resign and have a complete career change. I have never been happier and wished I had taken the matter into my own hands a lot earlier.

arthursfam Thu 23-Apr-20 11:15:32

I am also a nurse Flaxseed and decided to retire from full time work at 61. Then I was “head hunted” to work with
GP’s to do 10 hours a week and loved it—— stayed 10 years
The only trouble I had was with computers. In my case it was definitely a case of who you know. I think it really helps if you have a professional qualification