Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share your tips for healthy snacking with Soreen - £100 voucher to be won

(285 Posts)
JustineBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 08-Jun-20 09:38:41

With the stress and uncertainty around social isolation and lockdown, more of us than ever before have found ourselves comfort eating. Our latest research shows that 43% of us are snacking more than usual and 30% are struggling to eat a healthy diet. It’s all too easy to reach for a biscuit, and then another, then another. And suddenly the packet is gone. With that in mind, Soreen would like to hear your tips for healthy snacking, whether that’s ensuring guilt-free portion sizes or resisting the call of the biscuit tin.

Here’s what Soreen has to say: “Soreen, British baker of the Original Malt Loaf, has been enjoyed as a teatime treat in homes for over 80 years. Whilst many of us know that a slice of deliciously squidgy Soreen is perfect with a cuppa, it’s less well known that Soreen is a much healthier option than other sweet treats.

Our Malt Loaf contains over 40% less sugar and 80% less fat than the average cake. Plus if you’re looking for a tasty portion controlled snack, our individually wrapped Lunchbox Loaves are less than 100 calories each and our Sliced Loaf is just 65 calories per slice.

We know that for many of you the only way to eat Soreen is with butter! Well you’ll be pleased to hear that two buttered slices of malt loaf come in at just 150 calories and contain 40% less sugar and 50% less fat than the average slice of cake.

So you can still enjoy Soreen as a healthier swap without compromising on taste!”

Do you find portion controlled snacks help you control your snacking? How do you prevent the temptation of yet another biscuit? Do you find yourself wanting a snack when you know you’re definitely not hungry? How do you manage it?

Whatever your tips for healthy snacking, share them with Soreen in the thread below and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £100 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

lemongrove Mon 08-Jun-20 10:06:39

I love any fruitbread, if malted then even better, and can’t think it’s any more unhealthy than a biscuit. As with everything in life, moderation is the key, so a slice of Soreen with a cuppa now and then is fine.?

janeainsworth Mon 08-Jun-20 10:17:38

I don’t snack. I do have something with a cup of tea in the late afternoon, usually a scone or toasted tea cake or piece of flapjack. I might include Soreen if I liked malted tea loaf, but I don’t.
I’m not interested in calories, but I do watch the sugar content of what I eat.
A lot has been written about intermittent fasting & how it’s good for the body & immune system to give the system a rest.

I think that works on a daily basis too and that if you eat between meals, especially sugary things, your body is having to produce insulin too frequently which isn’t good.
(Just my opinion, no references).

jane1956 Mon 08-Jun-20 11:06:35

love celery to snack before the malted bread and cheese with both!!!

PinkCakes Mon 08-Jun-20 18:46:05

Fresh fruit, chopped up and kept in the 'fridge, is what I snack on during the day. It's even nicer with a slice of Soreen.

mumofmadboys Mon 08-Jun-20 18:56:49

I eat a few mixed nuts if I am hungry between meals

Kate1949 Tue 09-Jun-20 12:04:54

I try to have a balance. I eat quite a bit of fruit. I also have low fat yoghurts. If I fancy a biscuit, chocolate or cake, I will have one biscuit, a small piece of cake or a couple of squares of chocolate or half a bag of crisps. I usually have fruit bread in the house but limit myself to a small piece with low fat spread on it.

travelsafar Tue 09-Jun-20 12:10:42

Some sticks of celery and an apple with a tablespoon of peanut butter. Spread the celery with the butter a bit like using a savoury dip.It has to be the kind with nothing added, such as palm oil, sugar and salt, just pure peanuts. This is about 100 calories i believe.

CleoPanda Tue 09-Jun-20 14:09:44

I try never to snack between meals as it’s apparently worse for your metabolism and blood sugars. If I really want something sweet I have a small portion after lunch or dinner but definitely not every day. That way I’ve avoided getting into bad eating habits and have maintained my weight for ten years. It also means that if I go out for meals or to eat at a friend’s, I can enjoy a guilt free dessert or cake etc.

Rozzy Tue 09-Jun-20 14:19:45

I bought a pack of roasted monkey nuts for my husband the other day & having eaten a few realised they were the ideal snack for me: healthy & delicious and because I had to break open the shells to eat them, I ate a fraction of the amount of rosted salted peanuts I would normally eat as a snack.

fevertree Tue 09-Jun-20 14:30:28

Mixed nuts and an apple. Or homemade (so I can reduce the sugar content) rusks.

jeanio Tue 09-Jun-20 14:42:38

I love a slice of Soreen with sliced banana on it for a tasty snack.

LullyDully Tue 09-Jun-20 15:56:37

My favourite snack has to be any kind of fruit or raw vegetables. Try to keep off the sugar so the new Soreen sounds tasty.

theprovinciallady Tue 09-Jun-20 17:43:43

I snack on packets of radishes, matchstick carrots, gherkins, raisins, fresh fruit or preserved lemons. I've found all these to be very satisfying. Like others I avoid sugar and have found my palate has become much more sensitive to sweetness and that I have to reduce the amounts in recipes now.

Carado Wed 10-Jun-20 00:07:52

I try to eat more fruit than I used to. I don't like raw vegetables. I will admit to a couple of biscuits mid-afternoon with a cuppa, but otherwise I don't snack. Might treat myself to a small amount of dark chocolate at the weekend!

finemang Wed 10-Jun-20 08:03:24

I don't snack routinely but when I do I tend to eat a banana, some nuts or a small bowl of cereals. I find they make me feel good and fill me up just enough

kittylester Wed 10-Jun-20 08:29:29

Lots of new posters here.

I wish there was a nice gf malted fruit loaf available.

We tend not to snack but do have a biscuit or two with out afternoon cup of tea.

falconer Wed 10-Jun-20 09:30:23

I do love having snacks, especially just before going to bed. Obviously that is not good. So I try to find snacks that are better for you (and still cheap). Crabsticks are good in this way, as are apples (especially in a Waldorf-style sauce) and even raw peppers!

Venus Wed 10-Jun-20 09:41:53

A handful of almonds, a small packet of raisins do it for me.

isis53 Wed 10-Jun-20 10:32:37

Eat almond and brazil nuts and drink some water usually stops me eating more

ceejayen Wed 10-Jun-20 10:36:34

This has reminded me of how much I love fruit loaf. Must pick one up on my next shop. This is always a healthy and feel good snack

Aka77 Wed 10-Jun-20 12:11:28

Fruit makes a tasty snack. Bowls of strawberries, cherries, bananas, pears or whatever is in season, placed where I can see them, steer me towards healthier snacking.

Cs783 Wed 10-Jun-20 12:21:12

Plain yoghurt with a (big) spoonful of luscious not-too-sweet home-made lemon curd stirred in. I tell myself it’s mainly water and lemon juice with some healthy protein - and it’s delicious.

CHARLEY1 Wed 10-Jun-20 12:39:07

I try not to snack between meals but if you can't resist I think the less than 100 calorie rule is useful to follow and natural snacks like fruit and nuts is always the best choice. Having said that everyone has times when only something sweet will do!

Pansy123 Wed 10-Jun-20 12:47:41

Squash a fresh banana on a slice of Soreen banana loaf and drizzle with some honey for a yummy healthy snack .