Gransnet forums

Sport

How Much?!!

(84 Posts)
NfkDumpling Mon 15-Aug-16 22:30:23

Is 347 million just a bit too much to invest in these Olympics? It's very nice 'Team GB' getting all these medals but could some of this money have been better spent propping up the NHS for example?

leemw711 Tue 16-Aug-16 20:41:09

susied - I don't really understand your post which seemed very snobbish. Those so-called elite sports you mention are not easy to achieve in; they require great skill, hard work and natural ability too. As for private education, it is not elitist but available to anybody who has the intellectual ability to benefit from a good school. Both of my sons were privately educated, not because we are rich but because their fees were paid by the scholarships they won by passing entrance exams. The cost to us was less than sending them to the local grammar school would have been and the education they received at their separate schools prepared them both for study at top universities.

Jalima Tue 16-Aug-16 20:36:38

Noted and understood grin

Jane10 Tue 16-Aug-16 20:30:57

It was just a remark Jalima grin

ellenemery Tue 16-Aug-16 20:28:44

I happened to see an article last week or the week before about the athletes village in the East End. Some are let out as affordable housing but some are let out at a competitive rent and I am sure the figure was in the region of £495 per week. I hope some of this is coming back to fund other areas that need help and not lining some companies pocket.

Jalima Tue 16-Aug-16 20:14:49

So do you think the Government anticipated Brexit, therefore several years ago started persuading the Big Lottery Fund to contribute sums of money to help and encourage young athletes to participate in the Games which occur every four years anyway and that the Olympic Committee decided to hold the games to distract people from troubles in the UK?

Or was your post a joke rofl

Jane10 Tue 16-Aug-16 19:52:36

Jalima opm (other people's money). Big bonus for govt! Country distracted at no cost to them.

Emptynester Tue 16-Aug-16 19:14:57

Lucky girl..the Olympic Stadium is now used by West Ham football club, and the Aquatic Centre is used by all sorts of local swimming clubs and is open to he public for their use during the day and is very, very popular according to the radio this week. I know they have held cycling races in the velodrome, so I am wondering which particular bits are not being used. Surely the only issue here is that if players of the lottery disagree with the way the funds are spent then they will stop buying the tickets. I am totally behind all our Olympians.

Jalima Tue 16-Aug-16 18:42:11

post in response to Jane10's post!

Jalima Tue 16-Aug-16 18:40:55

hmm
now if it was taxpayers' money one could say that, but I'm not sure that is the motive of the Big Lottery Fund, shouldn't that be apolitical?

rafichagran Tue 16-Aug-16 18:38:05

I love the Olympics, people working hard and putting in alot of effort into their chosen sport, to win a medal for their country. There are also wonderful stories about athletes who in some cases live in slums and have a very hard life who triumph and get medals through sheer hard work. The Olympics are once every four years and alot of people enjoy them, and no, I do not think it is a waste of money. Long may they continue.

Jane10 Tue 16-Aug-16 18:36:02

Bread and circuses. Nice distraction from the country's problems. At least we've got some shiny new medals...confused

nana5ue Tue 16-Aug-16 18:32:44

I agree with gettingonabit. Remember ANYONE Can apply for lottery funding. If their idea is good enough, funding will be granted and hey ho, improvements can be made to many areas and lives.
No good harping on about what could be, if you know of something that could help your area, get stuck in and organise a bid to make it happen!
I am loving the Olympics and the sports people are not just a priveledged few but dedicated grafters, rather them than me.

hicaz46 Tue 16-Aug-16 18:25:51

Success at sport, amongst other things, gives a great boost to the country and invokes a feeling of optimism and well being for many people. I think it is probably excellent value for money. I am thoroughly enjoying watching it.If anyone wants to have a go at sports people then look at football where the likes of Rooney earn a quarter of a million pounds a WEEK now that is obscene. I certainly would not use the money spent on our athletes to prop up the NHS which should be funded by the government through taxes. Or perhaps cancel Trident.

Jalima Tue 16-Aug-16 18:19:27

I'm not interested in a few athletes winning medals on bits of ribbon.
I think those athletes inspire so many young people to try to achieve their best, even if their best is not to Olympic standard.

rosesarered how right you are about the griping.

GillT57 I think Adam Peaty's mother used to get up at about 4 am, take him to swimming, get home and get ready for a day's work.
When he also started training at Repton School, rather than at Uttoxeter Leisure Centre – the establishment which could soon carry his name – he was reliant on his mother Caroline for a lift (his father Mark does not drive).
"My mum was like: 'There is no way we can do that,'" Peaty once said.
"Financially, it was a lot to spend on petrol – about £100 a week – and she works as a nursery manager near Stoke.
"I was used to walking down to the pool in Uttoxeter twice a week and it was a massive change financially and lifestyle-wise."
His mother said:
‘It was really hard getting up at 4am, taking him swimming for 5am, then coming home, dropping him off, having breakfast, getting ready for work, doing a full day’s work, then going training at night,’ his mum told the BBC.
‘But it was hard going for Adam because he had school and all the exams but he stuck with it. He was the one who dragged me, not the other way round.
‘He never complained about getting up. If I wanted to stay in bed another hour, he’d say: “Come on mum, champions aren’t made in bed!”
Money was tight, so their neighbours organised fund-raising barbecues and Christmas parties in the street, to pay for the petrol when he took part in national competitions.
*Eventually, he secured National Lottery funding of around £15,000 a year, which has risen to £30,000.*

Well done Adam!! and all the others who have worked so hard over the years at their sports, represented our country so well and inspired so many other youngsters.

No-one has to buy a Lottery ticket by the way. It's not compulsory.

AmMaz Tue 16-Aug-16 17:51:36

Shouldn't have to.

GillT57 Tue 16-Aug-16 16:42:13

Lottery funding should absolutely not be used for propping up or supplementing government responsibilities such as NHS. I have been happily watching the olympics but always switch it off when tennis with Murray or Williams sisters is on. These are professional full time players with the best of trainers/dieticians/phyios etc at their fingertips, and they earn squillions in fees and products endorsements. Compare them to the swimmers ( parents dropping them at pool before school, driving them around to galas every weekend etc) and it is very unfair. Not sure how I would feel about the cost of staging the olympics if I lived in Brazil though.

suzied Tue 16-Aug-16 16:33:50

A quarter of athletes from private schools is still 3.5 times the proportion they are in the general population .

chrissyh Tue 16-Aug-16 16:14:29

For those of you who are wondering what your district gets out of the lottery, go to www.lottery.culture.gov and find the Department for culture media and sports - lottery grants search. You can put your area in and see what has been given, and to which good cause. I do the lottery, when I remember, and am quite happy to support sport as much of it goes to the grass roots. I disagree that much of it goes to the 'elite' sports and think that sport keeps many disadvantaged youth on the straight and narrow and gives those non-academic, but sporty, children a chance to shine.

Lindylou57 Tue 16-Aug-16 16:08:19

Just as a point of interest re a comment from suzied earlier re private schools. I read that only a quarter of the athletes from Team GB went to private school. Not that it should matter.

rosesarered Tue 16-Aug-16 16:00:25

The lottery money has been brilliant for sport in this country, and the arts as well.It's not from the public purse, so why the sour grapes? People can have a small flutter each week AND support all sorts of things into the bargain.Honestly, this griping, although a British disease, is getting out of hand!

Jane10 Tue 16-Aug-16 15:53:30

It doesn't seem fair that professional athletes earning megabucks (eg Andy Murray) and unsponsored athletes compete in the same games. Either be fully professional or be fully amateur. If its an entertainment then let it pay its own way. Football manages to fill stadia and pay their players fortunes. Can the Olympics not be self sustaining. Currently each of our medals has cost several million pounds.

suzied Tue 16-Aug-16 15:50:57

I think encouraging sport for all is great , I'm just questioning the current policy of targeting certain sports at the elite level. I wonder how much women 's boxing gets? I think Nicola Adams achievements are brilliant.

Lewlew Tue 16-Aug-16 15:43:29

As some said, countries who could do with the economic boost can't afford to host them, much nowadays because of the security logistics/standards required.

BRedhead59 Tue 16-Aug-16 15:16:16

Sport is vital - it's not just the athletes who get to the Olympics the facilities in all the participating countries are shared by thousands. Athletes inspire children - you can't put a price on that. That hard work equals achievement is a vital lesson.
To mix young people from all over the world even from countries like North Korea is fantastic. To see Muslim women running in a hijab is an education for us all.
Mixing our countries sharing our cultures will do more for world peace than any politician ever did - I think it's worth it, every penny and an excellent use of lottery money.

Charleygirl Tue 16-Aug-16 15:11:21

spabbygirl horse riding is not available at extra cost at every private school. Swimming was for me but that is not elitist. That was the only sport which one could pay for as an extra.