Gransnet forums

Sport

How Much?!!

(83 Posts)
gillybob Tue 16-Aug-16 07:57:58

I totally agree Jalima there should be one venue ( probably Greece) which is funded fairly. Also I'm not sure whether the likes of Football, Golf, Tennis etc. Should even be part of the Olympics at all . Also the olympics used to be for genuine amateur athletes and now even the very richest professionals take part which is not fair given the money that surrounds them . I was reading about some of the sponsorships annoyed by the various "athletes". Blimey do they actually buy anything?

suzied Tue 16-Aug-16 07:51:06

A lot of the money has gone into sports like rowing, sailing and equestrian which are fairly elite sports anyway, relatively easy to win medals in as not many countries do them. Also most of the participants are from private schools . I'm not against funding grassroots sports that everyone can have a go at, but I wonder whether double trap shooting or whatever is the way to go.

fiorentina51 Tue 16-Aug-16 07:24:09

I thought that lottery money was supposed to be for good causes. Not sure funding elite athletes comes into that category.

NfkDumpling Tue 16-Aug-16 07:20:24

I see your point Jalima, but we raise money locally for various things for our local doctors surgeries and hospitals, the lottery could chip in for that. And is this enormous figure all lottery funding?

I believe our new local football pitches did get a little, but generally in Norfolk we haven't noticed any investment to speak of. Where is all this money going?

I'm genuinely curious and I'm glad the media seem to be slowly picking up on it and also how it's shared out. I had wondered why we're suddenly doing so well!

Jalima Mon 15-Aug-16 23:13:51

gillybob I keep saying that I think there should be one Olympic venue (perhaps in Greece?) funded by all participating countries and updated as required, instead of new locations each time.
However, I do hope some of the homeless and those who lost their slum homes that were cleared to build the Olympic village will be rehoused in the apartments built for the athletes.

Jalima Mon 15-Aug-16 23:11:46

The Lottery money should never be used for propping up the NHS. If the Government cannot find the funds for the NHS they will have to put up income tax by a small amount.

Governments should not be allowed to use lottery money as an excuse for not properly funding public services.

I am happy for any money I may have put in to the National Lottery (probably only about £15 - £20 over the years grin) to go to sport, the arts, heritage, worthwhile causes, but not to go into the government coffers.

The use of money from the lottery that goes into promoting sport in this country is a good thing imo.

gillybob Mon 15-Aug-16 22:44:45

Just imagine how the poor and homeless people of Brazil must feel.NfkDumpling

NfkDumpling Mon 15-Aug-16 22:30:23

Is 347 million just a bit too much to invest in these Olympics? It's very nice 'Team GB' getting all these medals but could some of this money have been better spent propping up the NHS for example?