Gransnet forums

Sport

I love Wimbledon

(91 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 05-Jul-17 15:16:42

Waves across to the 'haters' thread grin

The centre court umpire has a VERY sexy voice. Sounds a bit like Barry White.

Forty.....luuuuuurve

Alima Wed 05-Jul-17 15:19:14

Oh, I loved Barry White! Well, not him as much as his music. Reminds me of very happy days.

Anniebach Wed 05-Jul-17 15:28:23

I love every minute of Wimbledon , get so nostalgic when I see players such as Laver viewing from the VIP box

merlotgran Wed 05-Jul-17 15:32:58

I luuuuurved John Newcombe. Oh, those sexy eyes.

Smithy Wed 05-Jul-17 15:34:55

Oh yes merlotgran, me too!

Smithy Wed 05-Jul-17 15:36:00

Oh yes Merlotgran! Me too.

NanKate Wed 05-Jul-17 15:36:13

My DH describes Wimbledon as Salad Fortnight grin

I am a tennis fanatic and watch tournaments around the world all year round.

Now Merlot and Ali who would you like to win the Men's Singles.

Here are mine.

RAFA NADAL - my all time favourite.
Roger Federer - a perfect gentleman and such a smart dresser.
David Goffin - I know he is not at Wimbers. He is so light on his feet.

Last year I made some negative comments about the Dour Scot and was shot down in flames so I shall keep scthum.

NanKate Wed 05-Jul-17 15:37:13

And your favourites too the ones who have posted whilst I was typing

Charleygirl Wed 05-Jul-17 15:38:49

I would love Andy to win a 3rd time but he will be lucky if he wins against Dustin Brown later this afternoon.

merlotgran Wed 05-Jul-17 15:42:48

I'll be cheering for Andy...Natch but I do love watching Dustin Brown play.

Was it two years ago when he knocked out Nadal in one of the most exciting matches ever?

Rasta v Rafa grin

Charleygirl Wed 05-Jul-17 15:59:59

I have a nasty suspicious feeling that the same may happen again today as Dustin is a very good player and Andy is not 100% in spite of what he has been saying.

Anniebach Wed 05-Jul-17 16:08:31

Andy to win , but ?

Federer or Nadal

Always sorry Tsonga never made it to the top

Had a thing for Newcombe and Goran was phew

I wish Ken Rosewall could have won it, a great player and I loved Poncho too

merlotgran Wed 05-Jul-17 16:21:34

FAB!!!!!!

Well done, Johanna.

whitewave Wed 05-Jul-17 16:49:14

What fit young women they are!!!!

Tegan2 Wed 05-Jul-17 17:07:42

I tend to make a point of doing some decorating or, at the moment having a spring clean/clear out. I have the tennis on in the background in each room so I can potter about but keep up with what's going on. I don't think the women are grunting as much this year [no Sharpova, who I could only watch with the sound down]. They said Andy was limping a bit in his warm up. It doesn't look good for him sad. I'm so happy that we have so much 'proper' tennis now; I hated the years when we had people winning by serving aces all the time [yes, Sampras; you may look gorgeous these days but I still hated the way you played...].

Pittcity Wed 05-Jul-17 18:07:47

I even went to our local ladies tennis morning for the first time today. I am rubbish but the coach is a lovely young man. I may go again!
BTW Andy is winning easily as I write.
I love Wimbledon but don't like the swapping channels for the news etc. Surely they could have a Wimbledon channel so as not to disrupt the viewing of those on the other thread.

merlotgran Wed 05-Jul-17 18:32:07

Well done, Andy but I wish it had been a closer match. I was all set for a five set thriller. grin

paddyann Wed 05-Jul-17 21:36:36

Nankate Andy's not "dour" he's just focused,he has a great sense of humour where its appropriate....much better to be serious about his job than walking about with a big grin plastered across his face .People who smile all the time are a bit odd

NanKate Wed 05-Jul-17 22:32:39

It's the second year I have caused a stir about my comments on AM. Paddyann I have zipped up my mouth and will remain quiet on the subject of Andy.

VAMOS RAFA grin

Anniebach Wed 05-Jul-17 23:06:21

I think Andy a really nice person and he certaintly has a sense of humour ,

paddyann Thu 06-Jul-17 00:55:01

NanKate I get really peed off with the amount of horrible stuff written about AM.Last year there were newspaper articles about his win...followed by the worst vitiolic bile .People saying he had no right to play for "britain" that he should have died at Dunblane ,that his baby daughter was pprobably f.....ing ugly and thats why there were no pictures released and much more.I've NEVER seen that stuff aimed at any other player .He is a hard working focussed young man who is at the top of his game ,he does loads for charity as does his mother .I'm sure he's no saint BUT he does deserve a bit of respect ..even from folk who aren't fans.After all he has won Wimbledon TWICE which hadn't been done by any one else from these Isles for 70 odd years

NanKate Thu 06-Jul-17 07:18:38

I take your point Paddyann that it is wrong for people/newspapers to make unfounded comments about AM and his family.

I watch him play and agree that he is an excellent and has worked hard to get to no. 1. I just happen to prefer other players.

I'm sorry if I have upset you it was not my intention.

As an aside I have been happily married to an occasionally dour Scot for almost 46 years smile

Now let's get back to watching wonderful Wimbledon.

ninathenana Thu 06-Jul-17 07:54:26

Interesting to see this is still on "active" and "the haters" of which I'm one, aren't.
smile

Anniebach Thu 06-Jul-17 08:08:39

Andy has never been forgiven for giving the UK what lettuce Henman couldn't

Maggiemaybe Thu 06-Jul-17 09:07:17

I think this is why I'm one of the haters (or more accurately, the couldn't care lessers). They play sport, they're not in a personality contest, or asking us to vote for them.