Gransnet forums

Sport

Lets get cycling

(52 Posts)
craftyone Wed 24-Jun-20 10:22:43

There is a cycling thread o the health pages but it is about more than health. There are tips to be had and experiences to share

craftyone Wed 24-Jun-20 10:35:51

Janeainsworth, I treated myself and have ordered that top grin, I don`t see why women of whatever shape should not be proud enough to wear lycra, especially lycra that sends a message. Several lycra male cyclists were out today and I saw one women, that could have been me two days ago, normal t shirt and normal trousers. Tody I went a step closer and wore lycra padded pedalpushers

Those of us with lady bits we do have potentially painful areas, particularly if leaning forward. I made the mistake of wearing knickers under my cycling leggings and well, imagine the knickers going higher and higher, ouch. Next time I will have do what we are supposed to do and go skin next to padded area. I have a brooks saddle, new and needs softening the hard way, B17S for women

I ordered a couple more pairs of £23 cycling undershorts from amazon, they are very well made, I already have a pair but they obviously need washing after every ride and pads take ages to dry

I also have some fatladattheback cycling gear. I am going to take it out of the box I store them in and hang them in my wardrobe

Look at what it says at the back
fatladattheback.com/collections/womens-cycling-jerseys/products/womens-fearless-fabulous-female-cycling-jersey

craftyone Wed 24-Jun-20 10:45:07

Bike sizes next. You have to measure height properly so that the reach is comfortable. I am 152cm and can really only be in a 14 frame or XS and they are impossible to find because I need a good safe step through but also frame strength. Islabikes janis is where I found one. They have started making bikes for seniors. My inside leg is 72 at normal stance and 75 when measured the proper way ie pushing a book up, tight as a saddle

This new bike is just over 9kg and the bike I have been riding for so long is 26kg, kettler city comfort. There was no chance of me lifting it into my car or riding from the bottom to the top of the hills around here. I have a very nice electric bike kalkhoff pro-connect which I am looking after ie pumping tyres up, it will be good for much longer hilly rides or when I get old

garnet25 Wed 08-Jul-20 14:31:41

I've just ordered an Ilsa Janis bike, and am so thrilled to have found exactly the type of bike I wanted at last. They are out of pedals so it's off to Wiggle or Amazon to find some.

Missedout Thu 09-Jul-20 12:40:17

Do any posters know of anyone who has first learned to ride a bike when they are 70+ and now carries on riding?

I have learned to ride on my garden lawn (using a borrowed bike) while in lockdown. I've managed to successfully manoeuvre round trees, ride in circles round the lawn and back round the trees again. I've fallen off several times but not done too much damage. Now I am thinking about longer rides on the nearby cycle path. (I'm waiting for a helmet to be delivered). I have driven cars all my life so have some road awareness but obviously not as a cyclist. However, I'm worried about using gears (my garden is far too small to need gear changes, I just stay in the lowest gear). I also don't feel able to signal by taking one hand off the handlebars although I can glance over my shoulder (I've tried).

I'm fit and use an exercise bike every day. Is it just too late to start? Am I just deluded?

garnet25 Thu 09-Jul-20 15:36:07

Go for it, bike riding is one of the best forms of exercise there is. Y
ou will find that riding on a road is far easier than riding on a lawn. Start on quiet roads or tracks and your confidence will soon build up. I have a rearview mirror attached to my handlebars for where there is lots of traffic. Oh and get yourself some padded shorts!

LullyDully Thu 09-Jul-20 17:00:43

I am not against cycling but would like it if they were all.fitted with bells to ring before they shoot by on a path I am merrily meandering down. There have been a few close shaves.

craftyone Thu 09-Jul-20 17:04:48

Of course LD, it is surely down to common good manners, to ring a bell or to shout a warning. I always do, same as coming up behind horses

craftyone Thu 09-Jul-20 17:12:46

missedout, very well done. You will soon get used to the gears, pretty well similar to a car. Depends how many you have and how you switch gears. If you have a complicated system, then ride in the middle range for now and go up and down one click at a time. Forup hills, change down in plenty of time and always soft pedal when changing gear. You won`t wobble after a short time and you do seem very competent already

Don`t forget to use trouser clips if your chain is exposed, or leggings

I recently bought my first ever road bike, very fast and twitchy lightweight bike, absolutely love it. 72 years young. Lots of cycling posts on the cycling thread on the health forum

craftyone Thu 09-Jul-20 17:21:30

garnet25 grin I love that bike. I had to buy torque wrenches to set it up, was so scared about damaging it with too much torque (turning force) when tightening with an allen key, also called hex. I put a cheap cateye cyclo computer on and can see the miles adding up and I got cheery waves and a big honk from a lorry driver today. Grandson also now calls me gangsta gran. Cycling is so endorphic, so feelgood

janeainsworth Thu 09-Jul-20 17:27:33

Only just seen this thread, Craftyone.
Enjoy wearing that top! ?

Luckyoldbeethoven Thu 09-Jul-20 19:25:26

Well done missedout. It's tough learning as an adult and teaching yourself is admirable. I don't know how many people know but there is an excellent course you can take called Bikeability. It's often run by local authorities and it's both the new cycling proficiency and also for adults. It gives confidence on bike handling and on riding safely on the road. When I did my confidence shot up even though I'd been cycling all my adult life. Courses can be found via Google.

tidyskatemum Thu 09-Jul-20 20:20:16

Let’s not! I’ll stick to walking.

Luckyoldbeethoven Thu 09-Jul-20 20:29:30

Of course you can stick to walking, tidyskatemum but why would you post that on a thread about cycling?

Bluebellwould Thu 09-Jul-20 20:36:59

I wasn’t allowed to ride a bike, no idea why, apart from being told nice ladies don’t, and that was in 1975 when I was 16!

Missedout Thu 09-Jul-20 21:22:40

Thank you Luckyoldbeethoven and craftyone, I appreciate the encouragement. I have sent an email off to see if any Bikeability courses are available near me.

I already have a bell on my bike but will get a rear view mirror too if I become a road user. My borrowed bike has lots of gears, but I will take your advice.

Luckyoldbeethoven Thu 09-Jul-20 21:24:01

Me too, 'bluebellworld' . I learnt to cycle on the boy next door's bike! My mother never found out until I was an adult. Ha, ha.

garnet25 Fri 10-Jul-20 16:15:22

craftyone, I am looking forward so much to the arrival of my Janis. Yesterday we went out on a long and hilly ride and I have to admit that I was beaten by one of the hills, There was a strong wind against us and it was about the third hill in a row. About 3/4 of the way up a very wide lorry was approaching from behind so I just pulled in and got off. I did however manage to cycle up the rest of the hill and it was all worthwhile when we came to the downhill sections!

craftyone Sat 11-Jul-20 06:25:40

Those disc brakes on the janis are something else garnet25, my ds said to use one finger and to make sure to start with the back brake. Awesome brakes. I haven`t had to get off up a hill with janis, very chuffed. I am looking forward to putting it into my car, I don`t think I will have to take the front wheel off but will find some blanket padding

I need to explorefrom here first, want to do alternative and longer routes but in a circular loop. I am out today to try another route but am not sure about distance or hilliness so am going to use my electric bike for thefirst exploration. That will give me the distance ( on cateye) and I will be able to gauge if I can do it on janis. There is a very long steep hill on the way back

4allweknow Sat 11-Jul-20 10:47:57

Had issues with cyclists sharing paths with pedestrians for years. Over lockdown I have cone to absolutely loathe them, giving up walking in my local park (access only 500 yards away). My DH is hearing impaired and I am I absolutely fed up having to pull or push him out of the way of cyclists speeding up beyond us. Some tinkle a bell but hearing impaired do not hear high pitched sounds especially from behind. Even I don't always hear. On occasion I have had to push him rather quickly I have caught him off balance and he has stumbled quite a bit. The verbal abuse I have had when we haven't
moved out of the way quickly enough causing these precious souls to slow down a bit and I have tried to explain why you would not believe. My latest experience 3 weeks ago was having gone to post letter at end of road I decided to carry on and go for a little walk. Just approaching a bend when 4 cyclists came speeding round on footpath, knocking me for six. Cyclists looked like two adults and two younger people didn't stop. A van driver did though to ask if I was okay, his language was choice and suggested he turn and follow them. Nothing broken but definitely furious. When are cyclists going to realise it is illegal to cycle on paths adjoining a roadway unless specifically designated to accommodate cyclists. I am glad shopping centres are now open as I can drive to centre and walk round the centre a few times without encountering selfish idiots on bikes.

Izabella Sat 11-Jul-20 11:02:24

Flying the flag for Alzheimers. My cycling exploits are tamer now with quite sedentary stuff, but I still try and get out when I can. Some days my balance is not so good and I need a buddy so I can find my way home.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 11-Jul-20 11:44:36

I learnt to ride a bike when I was 16 and it took me ages to feel so confident that I dare take a hand of the handlebars to signal for a turn.

Slow down a little, then stretch out your arm. You can practise that on the lawn.

Good luck.

Suzan05 Sat 11-Jul-20 12:37:37

When young, when we were too old to ride our trikes! My friends were all bought two-wheelers as we called them. However my mother wouldn't hear of me riding and refused to let me have one. Have never learned to ride although my husband rides and now has an electric bike. Too scared to even try now but admire all of you that are, I have very little self confidence.?

Hawera1 Sat 11-Jul-20 13:19:32

I bought an electric bike but I didn't have the balance for it anymore. So.my husband is riding that and I bought an electric trike. For anybody with balance issues its brilliant. I've added an extra battery. My health isn't great but this is working a great with a small amount of power assist. Just absolutely love it.

MawB Sat 11-Jul-20 13:21:55

Might be easier when an entire family’s bikes are not stolen as has happened to DD and her family, including two brand new Bradley Wiggins birthday presents for the boys - about £1500 worth ???