Has anybody been watching the football?

MawtheMerrier Sun 04-Dec-22 23:56:50

⚽️What football? gringrin

Blossoming Mon 05-Dec-22 00:08:50

Yes, great results, next Saturday’s match should be good smile

rafichagran Mon 05-Dec-22 00:22:33

Blossoming

Yes, great results, next Saturday’s match should be good smile

Yes a great result. Will be watching next Saturday. Let's enjoy it and cheer the England side on.

NotAGran55 Mon 05-Dec-22 06:18:16

A great result. I don’t think Saturday will be so easy! But fingers crossed 🤞 and miracles do happen.

Sar53 Mon 05-Dec-22 06:37:45

Brilliant result, France will be a much harder game. Unfortunately I am meeting my daughters and four of my granddaughters in London next Saturday to go to Winter Wonderland. It's been booked for ages and I'm very much looking forward to it but I love football. I'll have to keep an eye on the game on my phone.

Joane123 Mon 05-Dec-22 06:42:57

Great result. Fingers crossed for the next match.
Well done England.

BlueBelle Mon 05-Dec-22 06:44:15

I don’t like football but watched yesterday and got a bit excited
We did well it will be a tough match on Saturday
I do like the calmness of Southgate he seems a very caring man and we ve done much better since he’s been the manager
Good luck England x

Jaxjacky Mon 05-Dec-22 07:25:15

I thought I was the only one! Yes, watching here avidly, excellent game last night, Saturday will be exciting, we were living in France in 2018 when they won.

NanKate Mon 05-Dec-22 07:37:34

I knew nothing about football until I had two grandsons. I decided to Jen up on the subject. I’m so pleased I did as I can now discuss the players and games with the boys. We go and watch them play when visiting and I have a chair to sit on and a flask of coffee. ‘Yay’ as the boys would say.

Last night’s match was excellent.

Watching tennis is my favourite sport and the boys visited the Rafa Nadal Academy in Majorca at half term in order to buy me a Xmas present from there. I wonder what it is. 🤔

Mizuna Mon 05-Dec-22 07:50:57

My son and I follow the World Cup avidly. Me trying to leap up from his low-slung sofa last night when England scored was not a pretty picture. Excellent match. Saturday will be a battle for them.

Grandma70s Mon 05-Dec-22 08:02:59

I don’t get football. I don’t get why people say ‘we’ won or lost. It’s not ‘we’, it’s ‘they’ - unless you’re in the team, of course. Whoever wins, one side is happy, one isn’t. Always the same.

Sorry.

MayBee70 Mon 05-Dec-22 08:08:44

I’m such a coward and only watched part of the match. I’m happier watching a game when I don’t care who wins. I can’t believe the England team is the same one that played the most boring game I’ve ever seen two ( I think it was two) games ago. Southgate is spoilt for choice with so man good players to use. In my dreams England will win the World Cup and Rashford will score the winning goal.

BlueBelle Mon 05-Dec-22 08:18:03

Grandma70
It’s the same if you say ‘my town’ the town doesn’t belong to you but you feel connected to it so I don’t think it’s hard to see why a team you are connected to in whatever way physically
(town or country team) or emotionally as in following their journey becomes ‘your’ team
As for the losing and winning that s obviously the same in all sport, indeed in all competitions in fact everything in life from politics downwards has a winner and a loser doesn’t it ?

Newquay Mon 05-Dec-22 09:16:09

I’m not a sports fan at all but I’ll watch the England France match so I can message my French goddaughter’s husband-with instructions from DH! It amazes me, the few times I’ve looked up from my book, how they don’t seem to understand they’re supposed to be heading towards the goal and “faffing” about in the middle. I watched the woman’s final and they were remarkable IMHO-heads down, off to the goal, jumped up when knocked down-well done our women! Even I found it interesting!

Sparklefizz Mon 05-Dec-22 11:11:25

NanKate Watching tennis is my favourite sport and the boys visited the Rafa Nadal Academy in Majorca at half term in order to buy me a Xmas present from there. I wonder what it is.

It's a lifesize cardboard cut-out of Rafa smile My daughter used to like Idris Elba and friends gave her a lifesize cut-out for Xmas which she propped up on the landing.

Sparklefizz Mon 05-Dec-22 11:13:51

Yes, come on ENGLAND!! Terrific match last night. England made it look easy but they worked very hard. I'm glad Strictly has been moved to Sunday as I didn't want to have to choose. Gareth Southgate is my secret crush. blush

NanKate Mon 05-Dec-22 14:18:54

I like Iris too 😉. Hated the old coat he used to wear in the tv cop series

MayBee70 Mon 05-Dec-22 17:37:23

Sparklefizz

NanKate Watching tennis is my favourite sport and the boys visited the Rafa Nadal Academy in Majorca at half term in order to buy me a Xmas present from there. I wonder what it is.

It's a lifesize cardboard cut-out of Rafa smile My daughter used to like Idris Elba and friends gave her a lifesize cut-out for Xmas which she propped up on the landing.

envy

MayBee70 Mon 05-Dec-22 17:38:16

Sparklefizz

Yes, come on ENGLAND!! Terrific match last night. England made it look easy but they worked very hard. I'm glad Strictly has been moved to Sunday as I didn't want to have to choose. Gareth Southgate is my secret crush. blush

And they haven’t had a single yellow card. They’re so disciplined.

Sunny82z Mon 05-Dec-22 21:36:31

I thought the first 25 minutes were a bit touch and go but then England took control but they won't get away with that against France. My 18 month old bonkers Labrador was glued to itsmile.

Jaxjacky Tue 06-Dec-22 20:24:00

It’s a joke btw..

Urmstongran Tue 06-Dec-22 20:36:06

Himself says we forget how hot it is there even later in the day. It’s energy sapping. Daft place to play football in the desert really. He thought Spain just looked drained.

Allsorts Tue 06-Dec-22 20:46:58

I would love us to win, it means such a lot to so many. My grandchildren would be ecstatic.

vegansrock Wed 07-Dec-22 08:26:26

It’s pronounced In-ger-land.🙂 My DS and diL have both French and British passports, as do their children. Interesting watching for them!