Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Live beauty webchat with Caroline Hirons Thursday 26 July 1-2pm

(80 Posts)
JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 13-Jul-12 11:28:17

Caroline Hirons will be joining us at GNHQ on Thursday 26 July 1-2pm. Caroline has been a beauty consultant for about 20 years and she's a 3rd generation career beauty expert. She has a much-read blog, Beauty Mouth where she talks about her desperate wish that "people would wash their faces properly", among other things. She is also the founder of Give and Make Up, a not-for-profit company which aims to get essentials to women suffering from domestic violence via Womens Aid.

She'll be answering your beauty, makeup and skincare questions - particularly any about changing routines as you get older, so ask away!

trishs Sat 28-Jul-12 12:35:27

Really appreciate the information about binning products that have been sitting around in cupboards, forgotten and unused, for too long. It seems very wasteful to throw stuff out but now I have permission smile I do think that products should carry a best before or use by date though.

nansoval Thu 26-Jul-12 21:51:38

Don't you think most fake tans smell like a hamsters cage?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 26-Jul-12 14:01:38

A massive thank you to Caroline for all her advice. We have taken note and will be reformed characters in future. Honest grin

CarolineHirons Thu 26-Jul-12 14:01:26

timeout

I read somewhere (I am sure reputable!!) that although moisturiser helps plump up skin in the short term it has absolutely no effect over the longer term. What is your view?

Do you think the proliferation of products - not just cleanser but toner, not just moisturiser but day cream and night cream and eye cream - is just about trying to sell us more? What in your opinion is the least we can get away with?

There is definitely an element of the industry that will try to tell you that you need 15 products a day and preferably all from their brand. I would say the bare minimum, depending on your age is:

Cleanser (oil based, non mineral oil)
Exfoliating toner
Moisturiser with SPF for day
Appropriate product for night time, ie a facial oil, a treatment, or a serum etc.
I personally like separate eye cream, but if you have budget constraints you can just use your normal moisturiser.

It's more the serums and pre-moisturiser products that plump the skin these days. I would say a moisturiser is definitely essential as a protective barrier.

CarolineHirons Thu 26-Jul-12 13:56:49

opendoor

Have you any lipstick tips? I find I increasingly have to wear lighter colours as I age (red just shows the lines round my mouth and is too harsh) but I feel a bit silly in pink - which makes me feel like a girl. Mutton dressed as and all that.

I can't wear anything with a slightly orange tint as it makes me look like one of the baddies in Batman.

Hi opendoor

I'm a fan of lipglosses and lipbalms, or lip stains. In an ideal world, you could use a lip stain around the centre of the lips and go over it with a coloured lipbalm or gloss.

Stay away from the edges, as the product will gravitate towards the area anyway. Batman is never a good look!

timeout Thu 26-Jul-12 13:54:55

I read somewhere (I am sure reputable!!) that although moisturiser helps plump up skin in the short term it has absolutely no effect over the longer term. What is your view?

Do you think the proliferation of products - not just cleanser but toner, not just moisturiser but day cream and night cream and eye cream - is just about trying to sell us more? What in your opinion is the least we can get away with?

CarolineHirons Thu 26-Jul-12 13:54:35

rosiemus

Sensitive skin and try to buy products that are 100% natural and ideally unperfumed. But I still react. Why?

Natural products are no different from chemical products when it comes to skin reactions. A product only has to have the smallest amount of natural extracts to be labelled "natural". It can still have plenty of rubbish in it. Equally, they may use essential oils as fragrance which are also big irritants. I would ask you what you've used that works for you, look at the ingredients and try to stick to something similar.

CarolineHirons Thu 26-Jul-12 13:52:37

grangy

I wash my face with soap and water but confess I have no "beauty regime" other than that - is this a disaster?

Hi grangy,

It's a good job I'm sitting down smile

Depending on your age and your genes, you will either be at least dehydrated and therefore more wrinkled and at the worst, a handbag in the making smile

I would at least counteract the soap (dies) with a hydrating moisturiser to protect your skin.

goes for a lie down

opendoor Thu 26-Jul-12 13:50:26

Have you any lipstick tips? I find I increasingly have to wear lighter colours as I age (red just shows the lines round my mouth and is too harsh) but I feel a bit silly in pink - which makes me feel like a girl. Mutton dressed as and all that.

I can't wear anything with a slightly orange tint as it makes me look like one of the baddies in Batman.

CarolineHirons Thu 26-Jul-12 13:50:13

grannyJillyT

Help, I have really bad Rosacea, how can I camouflage it without really heavy foundation. Nothing seems right! blush

Hi grannyJillyT,

To cover, I would refer back to the Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage.

To help the rosacea itself, I would ask what your current routine is and recommend you stay away from alcohol, sugar and dairy to start (all the fun stuff, as Josie says). If you want more help, there is advice on the blog.

CarolineHirons Thu 26-Jul-12 13:47:52

skydiver

Thank you for your reply. What is wrong with mineral oil cleanser, though?

Mineral oil is used in skincare because it's cheap. It can block the pores and causes a barrier on the skin.

Natural oils found in cleansers such as Emma Hardie, REN, OSKIA etc are much more beneficial, while still giving a good cleanse.

CarolineHirons Thu 26-Jul-12 13:46:18

milliesmum

Now it's finally sandal weather I realise how dry my heels and soles are. I've tried having pedicures which sorts them out for a few days but then they are as bad as ever. Someone recommended cocoa butter and socks overnight - I'd welcome any other suggestions that won't have my husband running for the hills

Hi milliesmum,

Dry feet, or as I like to call them, trotters, happen to all of us, especially if you're a flip flop wearer.

I would recommend a foot file from someone like Diamancel, available at Bliss and House of Fraser. My feet were atrocious, so I bought the strongest one a few years ago for around £50 - BUT so worth it as a little file every evening before bed with cream if needed takes care of it. High outlay, but SO WORTH IT.

CarolineHirons Thu 26-Jul-12 13:43:02

Solitaire

I'm certainly not a sun worshipper but in the past have spent considerable time outdoors with children, horses and dogs. I'm getting an increasing number of brown blotches on my face despite using preventative cream.
Can anything remove them?

Hi Solitaire,

It sounds like pigmentation from sun damage. Going forward I would use a high SPF to stop them getting worse.

There are lots of products on the market aimed at pigmentation, which is on the increase. Avene have just launched a line specifically for helping with pigmentation.

Look for ingredients such as vitamin A, niacinamide and arbutin.

CarolineHirons Thu 26-Jul-12 13:40:29

nanamary

My teenage granddaughter suffers badly from acne and understandably wants to hide this when she can. But will cover up make-up (even worn for short periods) make her skin worse?

In short, no. And psychologically if it makes her more comfortable braving the world then it's a definite help.

If you'd like more help, please do contact me via the blog as I know how awful it makes teenagers feel and again, GPs are just prone to prescribe antibiotics and send them on their way.

CarolineHirons Thu 26-Jul-12 13:38:38

frangipane

What is the best concealer in your opinion? I have been using Touche Eclat for years but whenever I go in Space NK they say there are better versions. I find they either go incredibly quickly or are too claggy. I definitely need some concealment!

Touche Eclat is a marketing phenomenon, as it was originally designed to be used as a highlighter! Space NK are correct in the way that if you actually need to conceal something, there are much better options available.

If it's for spots and blemishes and discolouration on the face in general, the best concealer in my opinion is Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage (you must buy a brush to apply).

For eye area, there are numerous options, but one of my favourites is Sue Devitt (available from Harvey Nichols) Microquatic Bioluminescence Concealer (I know, I know). Estee Lauder also make a nice highlighter/concealer for the eye area called Idealist Cooling Eye Illuminator, which is nice if your dark circles aren't too bad.

grannyJillyT Thu 26-Jul-12 13:38:33

Help, I have really bad Rosacea, how can I camouflage it without really heavy foundation. Nothing seems right! blush

skydiver Thu 26-Jul-12 13:37:35

Thank you for your reply. What is wrong with mineral oil cleanser, though?

AnnieGran Thu 26-Jul-12 13:35:37

Hi. Those little red spots are cherry angiomas or, the proper name, Campbel de Morgan spots, even sometimes called senile angiomas. Huh! They are harmless so the NHS won't remove them. If you can afford it you can get them lasered. They can get quite big but don't usually get to the face, staying on the trunk and sometimes legs and arms. My GP said I have more than he's ever seen on one person, so I perhaps I will be remembered for something!!!!

CarolineHirons Thu 26-Jul-12 13:33:46

skydiver

What is the best oil-free way of removing makeup? I like having fake lashes but you're not really supposed to get oil on them.

When I don't have fake lashes, I love Shu Uemura cleanser.

If you have lash extensions, you can use micellar waters, by brands such as Avene, as they are oil-free and non-irritating.

Sidebar, the Shu Uemura cleanser is mineral oil based, and not the best thing for your skin, just an FYI.

homestyle Thu 26-Jul-12 13:33:39

Someone has already asked a question a bit like this, but I like using eyeliner and have found that as my skin has aged, it's increasingly difficult to get it to stay in place. Have you any tips for products that go on easily but stay put through the day?

OTHill Thu 26-Jul-12 13:33:33

My 4yr old GD told me I have big holes on my face! Large pores I guess, have always had them, but after her comment I tried some really expensive products by Estée Lauder and Clinique, neither worked. When I check the Internet most large pore products are associated with oily skin. I do not have oily skin! Help. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Solitaire Thu 26-Jul-12 13:32:29

I'm certainly not a sun worshipper but in the past have spent considerable time outdoors with children, horses and dogs. I'm getting an increasing number of brown blotches on my face despite using preventative cream.
Can anything remove them?

CarolineHirons Thu 26-Jul-12 13:31:48

praxis

Is there a cream or anything which can protect the face from chlorine? I swim regularly, and don't want to keep my face out of the water because that's supposed to be bad for your neck and spine... But I hate the way chlorine makes my face go red. My skin is sensitive but I've heard the same complaint from other women.

There are balms that you can apply pre-swim that can definitely help protect from redness and irritation from chlorine. The aforementioned baby bottom butter being one! Neals Yard make a brilliant product called Wild Rose Beauty Balm, which is perfect for this situation. Just make sure you wash your face properly when you leave the pool to rinse chlorine residue away.

CarolineHirons Thu 26-Jul-12 13:29:47

MrsMop

I have always believed the edict that 2 litres of water a day is essential for clear skin but a) this has begun to play havoc with my bladder and b) I read something recently that says that this is all a myth in the first place. What is your opinion?

I know where you're coming from with the bladder! BUT: hydration is essential for a healthy body, skin, sleep, everything. I probably drink more like 3 litres a day. I recently moved to sparkling water which makes it slightly less tedious and is infinitely more refreshing in this weather!

CarolineHirons Thu 26-Jul-12 13:28:09

distaffgran

In middle age I have developed spots on my back and chest. They aren't there all the time but when they are they're very itchy and if you scratch them they spread. The GP hasn't a clue. Tea tree concealer helps a bit. Have you got any ideas? Thanks

Itchy and spreading signifies infection. In all honesty, a lot of GPs are clueless when it comes to skin and don't take our concerns seriously. I would try to keep on hand something like HEAL gel available at Victoriahealth.com and Liberty, as it's soothing and may help. If you can, I would also get yourself tested for food intolerances, as that is a classic skin reaction.