Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Pencil skirts

(49 Posts)
Teetime Sun 11-Feb-18 09:43:24

I read in today's Sunday Times Style section that pencil skirts are the 'in thing' for Spring. Sadly I have the shape of a Teletubby - getting wider as I get near the floor so they are not for me. Its a shame I think they are very elegant especially with a nice leather belt and large buckle. Anyone going for it?

Blinko Sun 11-Feb-18 09:59:02

Used to love wearing 'em. Those were the days, eh!

mymadeupname Sun 11-Feb-18 11:09:56

I love them but to look good in a pencil skirt you need a big bum. Mine is flat as a pancake so while they can look quite good on me from the front they are saggy and baggy at the back where they should be all filled out with plump buttocks.

It's a shame because they suit all ages if you have the right figure.

MissAdventure Sun 11-Feb-18 11:11:10

No good for me. I have a flat bum and a big belly.
Not the best look!

Anniebach Sun 11-Feb-18 11:14:53

Not for me, would look like a matchstick

Teetime Sun 11-Feb-18 11:19:31

I have the big bum but short legs so my bum is too near the floor.

MissAdventure Sun 11-Feb-18 11:23:36

grin

MawBroon Sun 11-Feb-18 11:48:44

Or so much a pencil as a chubby crayon here grin

kittylester Sun 11-Feb-18 11:52:43

You stole my line Maw! Though I do have big bum...........to go with the big tum and big everything tlse!

Granny23 Sun 11-Feb-18 12:47:05

I fell in love with a shortish straight skirt at a fashion show in aid of CHAS. Having swithered back and forward, when I saw it reduced I took the plunge and bought it. RESULT. As some have said above you need a large firm bum (tick) and the large fat tum can be controlled with appropriate underwear. It was my outfit of choice over Christmas & New Year. With dark tights, small heels and a colour coordinated soft jumper it looks great - I have had dozens of compliments of a slightly back handed nature - 'It takes pounds/years off you', which implies that I usually look like a fat, old frump.

starbird Sun 11-Feb-18 13:00:16

I love them and with the right ‘shapewear’ pants could get away with one, except that I cannot bear the thought of going back to tights, and my legs, although not a bad shape, definitely need covering up (knee highs are no good because they restrict the circulation).

paddyann Sun 11-Feb-18 13:08:02

I bought a knee length leather fronted quite strechy material back skirt and its great ,I wear it with opaque black tights and ankle boots and a top that stops just on the hip .I love it .The leather holds everything firm at the front so my flabby tum almost disappears

Smithy Sun 11-Feb-18 13:14:59

Sounds very smart, paddyann.
I lived pencil skirts whilst working. I have a black skirt with three cream bands on it, it gives me a better shape as I have a flat bum too. I rather like it with black opaque tights and ankle boots.

M0nica Sun 11-Feb-18 21:24:32

Wanted, and got one at 15, gave up wearing them at 16. It was like having a rope tied round your knees. Impossible to walk in and to look good in a straight skirt you need to wear high heels. I felt like one of those chinese women who had their feet bound up.

Still slim enough to wear one but old enough to know better.

Maggiemaybe Mon 12-Feb-18 07:33:54

I love a pencil skirt, they’re very flattering. I still have a couple in the wardrobe from my working days, and one that I kept from my glory days, just to prove that I did once have a 22” waist. It’s a size 10 - I’m two stone heavier now and can still squeeze into the new, improved (ie massively bigger) size 10. grin

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 12-Feb-18 10:11:45

No, I've given up entirely on skirts. Can you remember how a slim skirt had to be hitched up to get on a bus? I don't put up with that nonsense anymore.
I saw the same article and I wonder just how much more daft this supplement can get on the fashion front. Laughable is the first word which springs to mind.
Plus of course still annoyed with them for no longer featuring my favourite column of Dolly and Cosmo.

luzdoh Mon 12-Feb-18 10:21:37

Can you wear a tunic length top over a pencil skirt that goes over your knees? I'm not good at fashion/clothes, need some tips please.

margrete Mon 12-Feb-18 10:22:06

Starbird what do you wear if you don't wear tights (with a skirt)?

Me, I've never worn a pencil skirt in my life and wouldn't consider wearing one at any stage. I prefer the A-line.

luzdoh Mon 12-Feb-18 10:25:10

lovebeigecardigans - Although I wear trousers most of the time, I love skirts. They give scope to so much creativity and also are much warmer on very cold days, warn over thick leggings.

Kim19 Mon 12-Feb-18 10:28:05

Think I might hold my own but have no desire to. Come to think of it, if I rummage into the depths, I may well find a couple of the splendid items. Mind you this current body shape comfort was knocked thoroughly into touch by GD1 when at the swimming pool she said 'J, why are your boobs away down there?' I ask you! And there was me thinking I was tolerable for my age. Huh! Always makes me grin widely. Love it.

sweetcakes Mon 12-Feb-18 10:28:40

My first interview and I wore a brown double breasted suit the skirt was was a pencil skirt, I thought I looked the bee's knees all the other girls worn jeans (early seventies). It must of worked as I got the job ? I couldn't wear one now though shame as they looked smart.

Overthehills Mon 12-Feb-18 10:45:16

“Still slim enough to wear one but old enough to know better” - I’m with Monica! grin

Persistentdonor Mon 12-Feb-18 10:45:42

I saw that article promoting pencil skirts.
IMO the photos were awful.
The outfits were dire and the only part I liked were all the posh drapes.
One photo was so offensive to my eyes that I showed it to my husband who glanced at it and commented on...... the curtains.

GabriellaG Mon 12-Feb-18 11:12:42

I'll pass on wearing a huge buckled belt but I do have two, just under the knee, VB pencil skirts bought with a tax rebate last autumn...?
I agree with another comment re boarding buses ? (those were the days) but I only wear them on businessey? occasions which are few and far between nowadays. I usually wear a shirt or short length tops with them as anything longer takes away from the slim look I aspire to. Being 5-7 and wearing heels helps 'the look' but it's not my everyday wear by a long chalk.
Paddyann's skirt leather fronted pencil skirt sounds quite an eye-opener by contrast. The WOW! factor.

GabriellaG Mon 12-Feb-18 11:13:56

Hmm...too many 'skirt' s.