Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Soon be time to get the toes out!

(51 Posts)
phoenix Wed 15-May-19 16:31:46

Hello all sending, good wishes.

Well, I'm thinking that it might be time to dig out my Birkenstocks (that Mr P refers to as "those sandals that you bought in Munich" even though that particular pair have been replaced at least twice!)

But my feet are definitely not fit to be exposed to the general public, especially those of a nervous disposition! blush

I have one of those electric foot sander things, but am wondering about putting my feet in the hands of a professional. Not sure if a chiropodist or a farrier would be the best option confused

I usually go barefoot indoors, and that is what I am thinking might be the cause of the really hard skin on my heels and the balls of my feet.

Then of course my toenails will need painting, as there seems to be some evidence of the yellowing associated with fungal nail infection , NOT a good look at all.

Has anyone tried those over the counter treatments, and if so, do they work?

Eglantine21 Wed 15-May-19 16:37:21

My toes are already out!

As are my unmentionable sandals?

The best foot treatment ever were those little fish that eat your feet. I think health and safety did away with them......

Madge64 Wed 15-May-19 16:43:52

I’ve been using Vick and that has certainly kept it under control. I was in danger of losing my big toenail but it is now quite secure! I put the vick under the nail with a small toothbrush every day, if I remember, I doubt if it will ever go completely but at least my toenails look reasonable for the summer.

allassinsane Wed 15-May-19 16:55:37

Toes already out here too. I have a pair of those exfoliating socks but I haven't used them yet. You wear them for an hour and then over the next ten days or so all the dry skin peels off, which sounds gross. That's why I haven't used them yet. Have one of the electric sander thingies. Don't know about fungal nail infections. Maybe tea tree oil?

Happiyogi Wed 15-May-19 17:00:04

Phoenix, "a farrier" did make me laugh!

Over the years I've had many a device to manage the look of the trotters. Last year I got a Margaret Dabbs footfile, and I've since got rid of all the old gadgets that don't work. It's a flat metal file that comes with stick on, replaceable strips that do the work. I've seen it in John Lewis and QVC and MD has her own website.

The advice is to use it gently, as it is very effective.

Happiyogi Wed 15-May-19 17:02:02

PS I wouldn't ignore fungal infection. MD does a balm called Foot Hygiene cream, to be used daily for two weeks.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 15-May-19 17:26:44

allassinsane I used those “sock things” last year.....8 days later fractured my foot and ankle!!! Trying to explain to a very straight faced radiographer the reason I was shedding skin all over his equipment was so embarrassing!!!

Used them again this March before my holiday totally forgetting that I was going away for a Mums and Daughters Spa weekend.......... I left a trail of skin round our hotel room!!

I have my toe & finger nails painted all year round, just in case???

Willow500 Wed 15-May-19 17:33:13

I've just been for a pedicure at the nail salon and my toes look lovely and summery. After 15 mins with my feet in a foot spa and all the hard skin shaved off together with a massaging chair it's a treat I can't do for myself - can't reach them and can't see!

allassinsane Wed 15-May-19 20:38:56

GG13 haha! Not about fracturing your foot though of course!

Do they work though. I keep looking at the pack thinking shall I just bung them on tonight.

According to the pack the shedding only lasts about ten days. I'll just keep my feet covered to avoid looking like a reptile shedding it's skin! Unless I fracture my foot!

phoenix Wed 15-May-19 20:53:07

The electric foot sander (a Christmas present from Mr P quite a few years ago) is actually quite good. I use that then Flexitol heel balm just before bed, and bung a cotton sock on (height of passion inducing night attire in this house!)

But the nails sans varnish are a definite no!

GrannyGravy13 Wed 15-May-19 21:06:38

allassinsane, yes they do work, but be careful when walking with them on as they are extremely slippery. I put an old pair of socks over the top.

phoenix Wed 15-May-19 21:39:43

Please could someone who has used them give me a link for the sock things?

TIA!

Urmstongran Wed 15-May-19 22:07:43

I’m ready!

I don’t like feet so I have a pedicure every six weeks - winter too - so that mine are ‘as good as’.

In between I apply rich foot cream and put on a pair of socks.

SalsaQueen Wed 15-May-19 22:24:14

I've been wearing sandals for almost a week. I cut my toenails, painted them, and as for the rough skin on my heels, I used a foot file then applied lots of Sudocrem at night, put clingfilm all round to keep the cream on, and washed it off in the morning. I've been putting Nivea on my heels during the day.

CanadianGran Wed 15-May-19 22:43:07

I'm not fond of others touching my feet, so don't go often for pedicures. Even though they do such a nice job, I don't find it at all relaxing; more like torture!

So I take care of my own feet; soaking in tea tree oil foot soak crystals that ward off infections, then a good rub with paddle-type file followed with a polish.
I also keep some nice lotion by my bed. Currently I have Burt's Bees hand salve (which is too greasy for hands, but wondrous for feet). Especially in spring and summer while wearing sandals my feet get dryer, so I try to ward off roughness with a little extra care.

GabriellaG54 Thu 16-May-19 00:23:40

I have a battery operated foot file but I've found the best files are those made of wood and shaped like an oar with black sandpaper on both sides, coarse and fine.
Mine cost £3.49 from Lloyd's Pharmacy and, when the filing sides get worn I'll buy sandpaper, cut to fit and glue it on.
After filing, I sit for about 15 minutes with my feet in a washing-up bowl of hot water infused with a few drops of peppermint oil, pat dry and massage feet and ankles with Bio-oil before putting bed-socks on...about 3-4 times a week.
Feet deserve pampering as they carry you around all your life.

GabriellaG54 Thu 16-May-19 00:25:35

FYI, the bowl is purely for my feet.
I have a separate one for dishes. grin

annep1 Thu 16-May-19 02:10:05

My husband massages my feet almost every night. I use Boots no 7 body cream but any moisturiser will do really. I have fibromyalgia and it helps, and my feet stay nice and soft. I too paint toenails all year round. I have an electric file but rarely need to use it.

BBbevan Thu 16-May-19 02:15:31

Phoenix I too wear 'those sandals* according to my DD. She wears Birkenstocks too and we both have DHs who also wear them. I wear Josef Seibel shoes in the winter, and these too are known as my lesbian walking shoes.
My toes are ready for an airing. All soft and exfoliate . If I can bend down I will put some nail varnish on

crystaltipps Thu 16-May-19 06:12:07

Treat yourself to a professional job. You won’t look back ( warning: you’ll get hooked )

Marydoll Thu 16-May-19 06:18:37

Years ago, much to my dismay, I needed to wear elastic support stockings, my GP commented on the fact that I loved to paint my toenails, so he gave me toeless ones, so that I could still show them off! grin
Nowadays, I can't reach my toes anymore and hate anyone touching my feet, so I shall have to wear wooly soccks with sandals to cover them up in summer!?

MawBroonsback Thu 16-May-19 07:42:52

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Witzend Thu 16-May-19 09:25:12

I don't like people touching my feet, so before baring them I have a DIY pedicure, repeated as needed,, esp. in summer.

Large bowl of warm soapy water, usually in front of TV, old towel underneath, good soak and scrub, scissors, nailbrush, cuticle remover, file thingy for hard skin, soak again.

At least one coat of clear nail,polish, followed by colour. I don't use colour on fingernails, only clear, but it's different on toes somehow. Plus I've never had the prettiest big toenails in the world, and they're even less pretty au naturel now.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-May-19 09:51:44

Phoenix I am useless at links, I got mine from a local wholesale beauty company, but I am sure you would find them on "Am**on". I just put in their search bar "exfoliating socks foot peel"and lots came up.

Hope this helps and good luck with your tootsies ???

Rosina Thu 16-May-19 10:11:54

'Strongly urge you to see a chiropodist/podiatrist. I go regularly now; I was driven to going because I had one tiny corn that was making walking so difficult, and every time I tried to cut my nails I managed to break one and end up with a sore toe. I have never looked back; corn removed instantly and painlessly, nails professionally trimmed, every bit of hard skin removed, and my feet felt like new. Shoes I couldn't wear came out of the cupboard, my nails looked so much better when I painted them after the ministrations of the chiropodist, and I would not forgo my visit every couple of months unless I was forced to. I look upon it as 'pampering'!