Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Cotton Socks

(34 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 17-Sep-19 22:05:37

I want navy or grey cotton socks, why oh why are they advertised as cotton when they are not 100% cotton .

Am I alone in wanting 100% cotton ?

crazyH Tue 17-Sep-19 22:10:05

You're not alone Anniebach ...I would like cotton socks - the mixed fibre ones, exacerbates the eczema on my ankle.

twiglet77 Tue 17-Sep-19 22:13:50

I would just like socks that don't shrink in the wash, don't go bobbly after a couple of wears, and don't feel damp and clammy on the days I'm in trainers or wellies for hours at a time. I wash them at 40 degrees and line dry. I buy men's socks now as they are wider, though my size 7 feet aren't massive.

I apologise for grumbling without answering your question, you are not alone in your frustration!

SpringyChicken Tue 17-Sep-19 22:14:22

Have you tried bamboo socks? They are lovely - soft and absorbent. We prefer them to cotton.

M0nica Tue 17-Sep-19 22:15:39

I googled Ladies 100% cotton socks and also put it in ebay and, while there were some mixed fibre socks, a lot were 100% cotton.

SpringyChicken Tue 17-Sep-19 22:16:01

Twiglet, to date, none of our bamboo socks have bobbled or shrunk.

CanadianGran Tue 17-Sep-19 22:48:08

I don't know that cotton would stay up; it would need some elastic, especially in the ribbing. Maybe just look for the highest percentage on the label.

Also recommending bamboo as an alternative, and wool for the winter. Wool is more expensive, but does keep your feet warm.

NotAGran55 Tue 17-Sep-19 23:16:37

www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-egyptian-cotton-ankle-socks-pack-of-2/grey/p3294937#BVRRWidgetID

Grey , navy and black.

rosecarmel Wed 18-Sep-19 03:38:03

There are 100% cotton socks available but all have cotton covered elastic at the top to keep them in place- The only company I can think of that might not have elastic is Wigwam- Their wool socks last many years, the style called El-Pine- But they are super thick, more for boots-

Fennel Wed 18-Sep-19 09:16:29

John Lewis have cotton socks in the ladies hosiery section. Also wool kneehighs, I bought 2 more pairs yesterday. They're lightweight durable and machine washable.
You can probably buy them online.

Charleygirl5 Wed 18-Sep-19 09:21:44

I bought socks on A****n but I looked in the section for diabetics because the socks were wider and more stretchy- ideal for me. The socks I bought stayed up.

Anniebach Wed 18-Sep-19 09:53:11

Thank you all. The socks I have seen are a mix of cotton, polyester and elastane , I don’t want polyester socks

midgey Wed 18-Sep-19 10:00:45

Try Pavers, I just bought some non elasticated cotton and polyester ones. I am very pleased with them. I’m sure they have a website.

Sussexborn Wed 18-Sep-19 10:05:31

I have the same problem! I get overheated to an embarrassing degree unless I wear 100% cotton tops. I find I have to check labels in shops because even when they say cotton on the display board they are sometimes only 60% cotton. One reason buying online is easier. Put in ” 100% cotton” and that’s what you get.

KnittyNannie Wed 18-Sep-19 10:26:59

I knit my own socks because I love warm woollen socks for the winter. The yarn is, however, usually 75% wool and 25% polysomething. This appears to be because the toes and heels wear a lot more quickly than the rest of the sock and gives it a longer wear life. Just a thought!

Riggie Wed 18-Sep-19 10:44:04

As someone has said the presence of elastic means they cant be 100%cotton. Also there is often nylon added to the yarn to make them more hard wearing.

mischief Wed 18-Sep-19 10:44:18

Completely agree Springy. I've had bamboo socks for a few years now and they are still as soft and smooth as the day I bought them.
Bamboo is an amazing product. I have a bamboo toothbrush and also a bamboo cutting board which is so hard and doesn't stain, even with beetroot. We should grow Bamboo as a crop in the UK and make as much as we can out of it. It would be a good replacement for plastic in my opinion and biodegradable too.

Kate51 Wed 18-Sep-19 10:49:31

Another vote for bamboo socks. Recently been converted by my daughter. Reasonably priced . And a delight to wear. I have psoriasis and find many irritate.

jura2 Wed 18-Sep-19 10:52:18

mine are blessed ...

Anniebach Wed 18-Sep-19 10:53:28

I didn’t know about bamboo socks ! As I only walk around the house hard wearing isn’t important,

Babs758 Wed 18-Sep-19 10:53:55

RE cotton tops. I buy the Manteray ones from Debenhams.. Not too expensive and very nice to wear. Not quite smart enough for work on "business meeting" days but fine otherwise… I have become quite a fan of them.

Thanks for the heads-up on cotton socks, I need these too!

annodomini Wed 18-Sep-19 11:30:09

I like the bamboo socks I bought in Boots and will gradually replace most of my socks with bamboo. I like socks with a soft grip. Although I am not diabetic, I order diabetic socks as they all have this type of top. Amazon has a good selection as does Ebay.

pen50 Wed 18-Sep-19 13:49:25

Almost certainly the bamboo fibre used for the socks is actually viscose made from bamboo as the raw material (and therefore pretty much identical to viscose made from wood pulp or any other plant material.) It's a synthetic fibre and not particularly environmentally friendly in manufacture.

It is possible to make natural bamboo fibre in a similar way to linen, by retting, but it's a much rarer material and unlikely to be in your socks unless specifically stated.

Nannarose Wed 18-Sep-19 13:53:45

This is a fantastic site for all socks, tights, stockings and all their variations: www.uktights.com/

They sell Falke 100% cotton socks, but I am with those who suggest bamboo. They also do cashmere socks, which make an amazing special gift.

I've no connection, just been buying from them since they were called Mytights, for years & years.

Aepgirl Wed 18-Sep-19 16:18:50

Yes, another vote for bamboo socks.