Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Frivolous in these times, but.... Mutton dressed as lamb?

(44 Posts)
Nannytrace Tue 12-May-20 21:35:11

I used to be confident buying clothes, doing make-up and styling my hair. Now I’m never quite sure what look I’m going for. There are plenty of you-tube tutorials on make up over 50, but I’m stuck in a rut with my wardrobe. Are skinny jeans and leggings still appropriate? They are my uniform, but I’m yearning for a change of silhouette. Has anyone any advice or can recommend any brands that are cut well for over 55’s. I buy m&s mostly but they can be really patterned and flouncy. If Trinny and Susanna ‘what not to wear’ were still a thing, I
would sign up! Any advice? Thank you.

paddyanne Tue 12-May-20 22:22:55

I buy a lot of clothes from QVC theres a great choice of styles and 60 days to try them or send them back .I dress quite young but I think I suit what I wear ,dont ever think you cant wear what you like because of age .Skinny jeans are a staplt in my wardrobe too

Nannytrace Tue 12-May-20 22:38:31

Thank you paddyanne. Would never have thought of QVC. I’ll check it out..... thanks again for taking the time to respond. ?

SirChenjin Tue 12-May-20 22:41:03

I like Boden - I stay clear of some of the more garish prints but I like the cut, colours and fabrics. I struggle to find stuff in petite sizes so the fact they do stuff for shorties like me is brilliant. I also like Gap, Phase Eight, Oasis, Principles, that sort of thing.

SirChenjin Tue 12-May-20 22:43:12

Oh, and I still wear skinnies with looser tops or jumpers and team them with boots (ankle or knee length) or ballet pumps.

Lucca Tue 12-May-20 22:44:59

V expensive but I love Masai. Look for sales. Online Capri clothing is good.

TwiceAsNice Tue 12-May-20 23:00:49

I like Boden too but wait for special offers . Their T shirts are good as they are a good length. I have skinny jeans from M&S at the moment and wear them all the time. Sainsbury’s does nice jumpers and Boden again for cropped cardigans .

SirChenjin Tue 12-May-20 23:14:04

H&M is also surprisingly good

Nannytrace Tue 12-May-20 23:28:42

Thank you so much all. I am tall, so sometimes struggle with length and proportion but I will look at all these websites. I have not looked at most of these, never heard of some. That’s why it’s so great to get other people’s ideas on a subject. I look forward to checking them all out. I have bought stuff from Sainsbury’s and been impressed with the quality. My daughter turns her nose up at my wardrobe and my lack of labels. She really doesn’t intend to, but it knocks my confidence when she criticises but her suggestions are just not suitable for my taste or my budget. She’ll realise when she is old enough to be on go ?. It’s nice to have like minded people to discuss these things with. Thanks ladies.

Nannytrace Tue 12-May-20 23:29:47

GN

Missfoodlove Tue 12-May-20 23:40:33

Really it depends on your shape and height.

Well cut jeans a good belt, classic shirt and loafers will always look good.

I buy one good cashmere jumper every year, they’re a really good investment.
If looked after and washed properly they will last years.

I love NYDJ jeans and trousers, I buy these out of season in sales.

Dresses are hard but Cos are good and as SirChenjin mentioned H&M have some really great pieces, I’ve had two dresses from them last season.

Dunnes stores are fab and have great designers, unless you’re lucky enough for a trip to Ireland they sell online.

Glorybee Wed 13-May-20 08:28:23

Just had a look on Masai as I’d never heard of them, they do have some lovely pieces!

Lucca Wed 13-May-20 08:33:11

Glorybee. And they last. I have a red Masai dress I’ve honestly owned for at least 10 years and it is still a favourite.

Alexa Wed 13-May-20 08:35:58

I like long Liberty cotton skirts topped with loose t- shirt or cosy junper. Worn with trainers to which i add cosy insoles or socks if it's cold. I never go out so I dress as I like not to suit conventions.

If it's even colder I add cotton leggings under the skirt.

Marydoll Wed 13-May-20 08:40:47

Nannytrace, I'm very small, so skinny jeans and leggings suit me best ( although I wish I was slimmer).
I tend to wear Boden, White Stuff, Joules, Phase Eight, Monsoon and mix it with Sainsbury's TU, George and M&S.

I watch QVC, for ideas, but rarely buy. I think it is sometimes quite overpriced and the quality is not always good.
I love Marla Wynne on QVC, however it would be a considered purchase for me.
I have a few pieces, but I managed to get them brand new on Ebay.

It is unknown for me to pay full price for anything, I look for discount codes, free delivery, sign up for sale previews and buy new items on EBay.

Glorybee Wed 13-May-20 08:41:19

I like the clothes shape guide as well, that’s helpful. This is a nice find, thanks Lucca!

grannysyb Wed 13-May-20 08:48:23

I never wear skinny jeans as I have large thighs. I wear wide trousers and prefer fitted tops, don't like the tunic things. To get a better fit I usually make my trousers. If I buy Jean's I buy M and S boot cut.

Granny23 Wed 13-May-20 09:28:03

For my daughters wedding, a film industry professional who was a friend of DDs came to do the bridal party's hair and makeup. She explained to me that 'older' women should choose between 2 looks for special occasions - Elegant or Glamourous (never sexy) As a 5'1" slightly plump person, there is no chance of me ever being Elegant, so I was given the glamourous treatment. and looked amazing (or so everyone said). She complimented me on my choice of outfit (fitted top, full skirt, with a little bolero) and bemoaned the usual MoB dresses with their swathes and crossovers which made women look like mummies.

I asked what was the best look for everyday and she reckoned tight jeans or leggings with an oversized top.

EllanVannin Wed 13-May-20 09:33:25

I've been weighing up Ted Baker clothing as I love flowers and things bright and cheerful----no need to be drab.
I'm not a big person so a buttercup wouldn't look like a sunflower grin
Nice trouser suits. Bright loose tops ( with sleeves ) because of the inclement weather.

EllanVannin Wed 13-May-20 09:35:06

I've never owned a pair of jeans and I'm certainly not likely to now in my 80th year----yuk.

henetha Wed 13-May-20 09:47:49

I'm in my 83rd year and still wear jeans sometimes... and why not?

SirChenjin Wed 13-May-20 09:48:32

Why yuk? A well cut pair of jeans with a smart short blazer style jacket , thin cashmere jumper or fitted shirt, and some nice jewellery looks far from yuk on any woman smile

paddyanne Wed 13-May-20 09:55:21

Marydoll I buy Joules,Phase Eight and Monsoon all from QVC amongst other well known brands the NYDJ 's someone above mentioned is one.There is a vast number of brands you'll find all types and styles if you look.

Riverwalk Wed 13-May-20 10:04:26

Are skinny jeans and leggings still appropriate? They are my uniform, but I’m yearning for a change of silhouette

I moved on from them a while ago and now prefer chinos and ankle-length capri-style trousers with shorter tops, not tunics, in the main.

I'm another fan of Boden, also Cos, Jigsaw, etc.

Fishpieplease Wed 13-May-20 10:12:51

Another vote for Masai...the clothes don’t always look that appealing on a hangar. It’s really worth trying them on as I find the clothes comfortable and easy to wear. Masai is expensive full price,but the clothes don’t date.