Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Live beauty webchat with Caroline Hirons Thursday 26 July 1-2pm

(79 Posts)
JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 13-Jul-12 11:28:17

Caroline Hirons will be joining us at GNHQ on Thursday 26 July 1-2pm. Caroline has been a beauty consultant for about 20 years and she's a 3rd generation career beauty expert. She has a much-read blog, Beauty Mouth where she talks about her desperate wish that "people would wash their faces properly", among other things. She is also the founder of Give and Make Up, a not-for-profit company which aims to get essentials to women suffering from domestic violence via Womens Aid.

She'll be answering your beauty, makeup and skincare questions - particularly any about changing routines as you get older, so ask away!

Anagram Sat 14-Jul-12 11:58:36

I never wash my face - at least not with soap and water!
Perhaps I'll give this one a miss.....wink

pammygran Sun 15-Jul-12 12:53:20

I only wash my face in the morning, never have taken make up off at night..lazy, mucky me! BUT, friends tell me I have great skin..I put this down to never having smoked, & good genes..

cheeseandonion Tue 17-Jul-12 11:47:34

Desperate question (in hope summer will actually turn up at some point this year)

Fake tan (mainly for the legs) - please tell me what I can use that won't streak horribly (despite promises from the manufacturers) and ideally something that smells vaguely ok too. Thanks

lilysgran Tue 17-Jul-12 11:59:30

I would love some advice about my decolletage - always something I have been happy to show off but lately noticing the odd wrinkly line. How can I firm it up?

marina Tue 17-Jul-12 12:02:28

My skin has always been ok - but as I get older I find that my t zone (if it is still called that these days) is increasingly dry and my usual moisturisers aren't making any difference. What can I put on the skin to get it back to normal? The worst bit is around the top of my nose

crimson Tue 17-Jul-12 12:17:44

I seem to get more and more white spots [which is what I think they're called; small white lumps under the skin]. Is there a way of removing them without bruising the skin?

flipflop Tue 17-Jul-12 15:58:51

I never really had spots as a teenage but I do get the odd one as an adult. Perhaps you can settle an argument I have with my son: squeeze or not? He says yes. I say it will heal quicker if you leave it. Who is right and do you have any other tips to get rid as quickly as possible?

chunky Tue 17-Jul-12 16:09:21

Actually seeing the question about spots reminded me... my lovely GD aged 14 is suffering terribly with spots. Can you suggest anything she might use to help? I can't bear to see how miserable they make her

jack Tue 17-Jul-12 16:26:14

I asked a beautician the other day if she could remove some tiny pin-head sized lumps (or spots) that have appeared on my face recently. She had a look and said I should ask the GP to remove them. I was astonished. I thought a good facial might do the trick.

Annobel Tue 17-Jul-12 16:50:29

Some discolouration in the area of my cheekbones which are almost certainly sun damage. Just light brownish and not skin cancer (have had myself checked). How can I hide them? My skin is fair and surprisingly un-wrinkled.
Secondly, I have never, in 50 years, and heeding all advice, been able to get lipstick to stay put - any suggestions? Is there a really good product that doesn't cost the earth?

Anagram Tue 17-Jul-12 20:30:00

What are those little red marks, like freckles, which have appeared in recent years on my hands and forearms? I'm sure they must have been caused by sun damage, but are they age spots, which I thought were brown?

crimson Tue 17-Jul-12 21:56:02

I've got one that's red and slightly raised; Dr says it's ok but to put sunblock on it. Still best to get anything like that checked out .As for the brown ones, I use a spot concealer on them. I have freckles as well but they seemed to be getting bigger and bigger.

Anagram Tue 17-Jul-12 22:22:55

Mine aren't raised at all, and if you press on them they disappear briefly. I think it really is sun damage - it's where the sun always catches my hands and lower arms.

Annobel Tue 17-Jul-12 22:57:22

I think so-called age spots are often caused by exposure to the sun.

Anagram Tue 17-Jul-12 23:06:48

Yes, but why are mine red, not brown?

praxis Thu 19-Jul-12 17:23:11

Is there a cream or anything which can protect the face from chlorine? I swim regularly, and don't want to keep my face out of the water because that's supposed to be bad for your neck and spine... But I hate the way chlorine makes my face go red. My skin is sensitive but I've heard the same complaint from other women.

Noni Thu 19-Jul-12 18:53:04

Regular monthly facials - yes or no? I have been told yes, but I often get spots erupting (small ones thank goodness) afterwards. When I don't continue with facials (only started fairly recently anyway) my skin seems to settle down and be smoother. Interesting to hear your thoughts Caroline.

jack Fri 20-Jul-12 19:56:36

Hello praxis. I swim regularly as well - sometimes doing the crawl, wearing all the sexy gear (goggles, ear plugs and skull cap), and sometimes I just bob along doing the breaststroke (which is, as you say, is not good for the spine, neck and, in my case, knees).

There has to be a certain amount of chlorine in the water, for obvious reasons, and therefore the face is exposed to chemicals. But I have found that an inexpensive moisturiser or barrier cream (applied before swimming) protects the skin pretty well and when you shower afterwards in fresh water you are left with a delightfully fresh complexion.

I hope this works for you. smile

kittyp Fri 20-Jul-12 20:12:24

I have pale skin and mid brown hair and always play it safe with beige or brown shades when it comes to eye makeup. But I'm bored. Any suggestions?

Sook Fri 20-Jul-12 23:34:47

My top eyelids have drooped quite considerably, the look is not helped by sparse over plucked eyebrows which are almost white. Advice please.

trishs Tue 24-Jul-12 01:18:06

How long should we keep and use products, especially sun creams and lipsticks?

And are there any tricks to achieving a smooth line with eyeliner on older skin with the inevitable wrinkles! Do any of the cosmetic firms make a 'filler' that could be applied first ?

wiggofan Tue 24-Jul-12 12:37:25

There was a lot of hullaballoo about a supermarket's baby bottom cream being the best thing to use on your face EVER. If this is the case why pay a fortune for really expensive moisturisers? Or do you really get what you pay for?

greengran Tue 24-Jul-12 12:40:49

Eyebrows...pluck, wax or thread? (Or go for the full Dennis Healey?)

ursulaminor Tue 24-Jul-12 12:43:03

My question follows on from Wiggofan's in a way. I'm looking for really good budget ranges for skincare - my days of affording Clarins etc are alas now over