Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Perfume - what are your favourites?

(181 Posts)
Oriel Tue 22-Aug-17 10:41:24

I love perfume and wear it every day. I've noticed recently though that some perfumes I have worn for years suddenly don't seem to have the same staying power. For instance my most recent purchase, Chanel Allure Sensuelle, is undetectable on me after an hour or so - it was EDP by the way. Its either my skin changing or the formulation as I've bought it in the past and don't remember having the same problem.

Does anyone have fragrance they can recommend? I'm looking for a summery one at the moment but would be interested in hearing suggestions generally.

tanith Tue 22-Aug-17 10:43:51

I love 'Flower' by Kenzo it's very light and summery and comes in a beautiful glass bottle.

Fishpieplease Tue 22-Aug-17 10:46:52

Liz Earle no15 is my favourite every day perfume.

Greyduster Tue 22-Aug-17 10:54:04

Jo Malone Vetiver, and Just Jo Green Orange and Coriander.

Teetime Tue 22-Aug-17 10:58:12

The problem with perfume is that after a while you do stop smelling them I think its called attenuation you know there are people that arrive in a choking cloud of perfume/aftershave as they cant smell it themselves and overdo it. So I try to have a few different ones on the go. I still like Chanel No 5 for the summer and Cocoa and Opium for the winter.

Scribbles Tue 22-Aug-17 11:01:59

Fleurs d'Orlane. Very light, summery and with staying power. I've been using it for decades smile.

Lindylo Tue 22-Aug-17 11:36:11

I love Miss Dior and treat myself to a bottle if I go to duty free.

devongirl Tue 22-Aug-17 11:41:51

Givenchy Organza - smelt it first on one of those scratch cards you used to get incolour supplements at the weekend, what happened to those?

Jalima1108 Tue 22-Aug-17 11:45:25

I just bought some L'Occitane Citrus Verbena in the hope that, as it contains citronel, it may keep the mozzies away too. However, the smell doesn't last very long at all.

I do like Clarins

grannysue05 Tue 22-Aug-17 13:27:15

Lancome - La Vie est Belle. Lovely soft powdery/flowers. Lasts and lasts on the skin. Everyone asks what the lovely perfume is.

NonnaW Tue 22-Aug-17 13:42:18

When we visited Harvey Nicks in Leeds earlier this year, got sprayed by a sales assistant as I was walking past. DH & I both liked it so much he insisted on buying me some. I'd never heard of it before, it's by Trish McEvoy and called Sexy 9.

gma Tue 22-Aug-17 13:55:21

I'm with Fishpieplease and grannysue05 on their choices! Liz Earl no.15 is a fresh summery perfume! I also like Origins ginger! Pop into John Lewis and have a squirt of them!!

Welshwife Tue 22-Aug-17 14:07:55

Clinique Aromatics for me - have tried others but always go back to that. At the moment have Esteé Lauder White Linen for a change - also I have a few small bottles of things like Nina Ricci L'air du temps I dab on some days. Found a small bottle of Fidgi last week when sorting out so having a go with that too.
I am not at all modern but I do like Angel

Welshwife Tue 22-Aug-17 14:15:24

I use Clinique Aromatics most of the time but at the moment am using Esteé Lauder White Linen. Of the modern ones I like Angel. I have a few small bottles of things like Nina Ricci L'air du Temps and Fidgi - must have come in a little presentation box which I also use.

Welshwife Tue 22-Aug-17 14:18:45

Posted the first one and it disappeared completely so redid it and then saw two but for me they are showing on a pink background and I cannot delete anything!

Hilltopgran Tue 22-Aug-17 14:29:58

I used to like Channel Allure, but have changed to Channel Chance, which is a lighter fragrance. I stock up each time I go through the airport to visit DD and DGC.

Wearing perfume is my luxury, I always have a small handbag size one with me.

If you want a change, best to visit a store and try a few samples on you before you buy, our personal chemistry can change them.

Welshwife Tue 22-Aug-17 14:36:48

I Used to go into my local A and N store and try two perfumes - one on each wrist - till I found the ones I liked. Kept sniffing all day to see how they hanged and how lasting they were.

carol58 Tue 22-Aug-17 15:14:10

My all time favourite is Anais Anais and I go back to it again & again when I fancy a light floral. However, currently wearing Jimmy Choo Exotic for summer and will wear Black Opium again when it turns colder.

Humbertbear Tue 22-Aug-17 15:45:48

I only wear Paloma Picasso and have done for years. However my daughter and I tried Kenzo Flower and found that it stayed on all day. Lidls perfumes are pretty good too!

goldengirl Tue 22-Aug-17 15:55:49

Yves St Laurent full stop with the occasional bit of Chanel Mademoiselle thrown in from time to time. Wonderful!

Maggiemaybe Tue 22-Aug-17 16:00:12

Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir, and her Lime, Basil and Mandarin.

soop Tue 22-Aug-17 16:06:03

Opium and Oscar de la Renta.

LadyGracie Tue 22-Aug-17 16:06:24

Angel, Flowers and I like most of Burberry, Weekend my absolute favourite. My DM used to wear Blue Grass and 7947, I have her old bottles in a box, I have a sniff occasionally

devongirl Tue 22-Aug-17 16:15:30

A colleague of mine always wears Chanel Mademoiselle and smells lovely - but when I tried a sample it smelt quite different on me, sadly.

Eloethan Tue 22-Aug-17 16:25:33

L'Air du Temps (Nina Ricci) and J'Adore (Dior) - but I very rarely wear perfume.