Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Meghan’s M&S Jumper

(91 Posts)
MawBroon Sat 13-Jan-18 14:36:07

After the outcry about Meghan Markle’s eye wateringly expensive engagement picture dress, her white dressing gown coat and her hat on Boxing Say, is nobody prepared to give her credit for booosting a British manufacturer and opting for a high street piece?

www.marieclaire.co.uk/news/fashion-news/meghan-markle-marks-spencer-jumper-571598

MawBroon Sat 13-Jan-18 14:42:04

Lots of “o’s” in boosting! blush

glammanana Sat 13-Jan-18 16:06:59

She has certainly had the desired effect Maw as the jumper is sold out across all the stores,the same thing happened with the coat from the Canadian Designer they have been flooded with requests for it,if she helps the fashion industry well done her I say.

kittylester Sat 13-Jan-18 16:14:28

Well done to her on finding the one decent piece of clothing in M&S! Maybe they could consult her on new designs!

paddyann Sat 13-Jan-18 16:27:42

as I've never bought anything because I've seen it on a celebrity than it doesn't affect me .I dont understand the mindset that thinks because Harry's latest squeeze wears it, s its worth buying.Sheeple ..methinks

Nonnie Sat 13-Jan-18 16:31:29

I have stopped using a handbag because it looks like one she had which sold out straight away! No problem with her at all just don't want to look like a copycat!

glammanana Sat 13-Jan-18 16:47:29

Nonnie Maybe she is the copycat and loved your sense of style.

Nonnie Sat 13-Jan-18 16:53:05

That'll be it glammanana.grin The royal family are copying us in their choice of 'dual heritage' DiL with Dutch and Ulster heritage, as all those apply to our family. Never been so on trend in my life.

trisher Sat 13-Jan-18 17:23:57

How can they tell which jumper she is wearing? The photo shows she has her jumper tucked into a flashy belt, so is it really M&S? And who else would wear it like that? Bit of good PR work there.

Humbertbear Sun 14-Jan-18 09:07:15

I don’t think she decided to wear M n S. I’m sure that given a choice she never would. Let’s not fall once again for all the hype that surrounded Diana. Markle was obviously told she has to wear British and less expensive clothes. She has simply taken on a different role.

nigglynellie Sun 14-Jan-18 09:07:16

She's Harry's fiance, soon to be his wife. Whatever you think of the R.F why do you you always have to be derogatory Paddyann?

inishowen Sun 14-Jan-18 09:12:53

When I was a child my mum bought me a beautiful blue coat, with a scalloped hemline. A few days later Princess Ann was pictured wearing the same coat. To say my mum was happy is an understatement!

Anniebach Sun 14-Jan-18 09:26:26

I agree with Trisher , how can anyone see the jumper worn under a coat.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 14-Jan-18 09:28:38

Do we really want to know from where the royal family obtain their garments? Then as it appears a 'must have one of those' as far as so many of the public are concerned.

Jaycee5 Sun 14-Jan-18 09:29:55

I think that some people are determined to dislike her whatever she does. I am not a fan of the Royal family but I liked her in Suits and I always thought that she was an interesting person so I am not going to choose to dislike her now.
I think that she has done things which are more creditworthy than wearing something that lots of people wear but hopefully she will wear British designers or manufacturers and boost the economy a bit.
I agree about not understanding people who copy what someone has very publically been seen wearing and I would be a little irritated if I had bought it the day before but it's their choice.

damewithaname Sun 14-Jan-18 09:36:21

Leave her alone. People are going to pick to poor girl apart now. As we seem as a "runner up" to the other one. She's a decent person with good intentions, let her be and let's stop criticising her for her choices.

Coconut Sun 14-Jan-18 09:47:14

We all get fashion ideas from seeing others and liking what we see, some are obviously obsessed with what royalty wear. One newspaper wrote a pathetic article about Kate copying Meghan, and showed pictures of them both in the same colour outfits but totally different styles, so how is that copying. The press are responsible for stirring up so much garbage, haven’t they learned from Diana ? Some of the outfits Kate dresses her children in are identical to how I used to dress mine, I still have one of the dresses and my granddaughters have even worn it. I have never been a royalist at all, too many hangers on etc but William and Harry have made them all more human because of Diana’s influence..... but it will always be a privileged lifestyle that we are funding.

Theoddbird Sun 14-Jan-18 10:06:41

Does it really matter what she wears? Does any one discuss the clothes Prince Harry wears? Of course they don't. It is up to her what she spends her money on...she is obviously quite wealthy and earned her money as an actress on a well known TV programme. She is also an intelligent woman. Stop going on about her clothes...

Mad2016 Sun 14-Jan-18 10:07:06

Why can’t we just enjoy this bit of happiness in an otherwise turbulent world. If you don’t like don’t look!

Nannyme Sun 14-Jan-18 10:08:51

I dont understand how some people can be so fickle as to not have their own ideas on how to dress, I might look in shops and on line and admire but no way would I have ever rushed out to buy the same thing. I really do not like how shops display rows of exactly the same item in every size possible, neutral colours are fine as you can always team them up with colour - having said all that i do make my own clothes so I am very lucky to have that skill, handed down to me by my lovely mum. It really is wonderful that sewing is actually being resurrected.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 14-Jan-18 10:11:42

Yes, whenever she wears something British it'll boost sales which I believe are much needed at Britain's favourite store.

nigglynellie Sun 14-Jan-18 10:15:00

If we had a President we would still have to fund their lifestyle and up to a point their families. Nepotism comes to mind! I'd much rather have the R.F. at least they bring in the tourists, champion good causes, give the economy a boost and usually look cheerful! Well worth the money I'd say! Who on earth would go to Russia to get a glimpse of Putin and family, or any other republican/communist head of state come to that!

Carolpaint Sun 14-Jan-18 10:28:15

She is a beautiful bright woman who has forged her own way, well done. Her mother has a proper job, she adopted her dogs from a dog shelter, she has a sparkle that attracted a young active army officer, let us not be part of that carping that may extinguish her brightness. Many of us do pick and mix with clothes, some designer some mainstream, albeit our designer ones might have been pre owned. May she continue to enjoy her life here in the UK.

Fennel Sun 14-Jan-18 10:47:28

I wonder if there's something about Meghan that reminds Harry of his mother? Diana didn't seem to mind publicity so much.
Whereas Kate seems to be a more private person.

Aepgirl Sun 14-Jan-18 10:48:32

As I keep saying 'give the girl a chance'.