Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Swimwear

(50 Posts)
Magrithea Sat 24-Feb-18 14:02:22

Where does everyone buy their swimwear and what do you buy?

I despair of finding something I like that will last and look flattering! I find tankinis better as it's easier to get in and out of (and go to the loo!!) but can't find anything!

Oopsadaisy12 Sat 24-Feb-18 14:07:57

I got mine from Next, ordered 2 for sizing, delivered one day and came and collected the ones I didn’t want the next day. Sorted.

hildajenniJ Sat 24-Feb-18 15:03:15

I'm trying to find a swimdress or a tankini with a longer line top. There are some lovely ones Here For larger sizes, Curvissa do some good swimwear too. I will probably order online, as I've looked in the shops and was uninspired.

Greyduster Sat 24-Feb-18 15:23:10

I bought a swimsuit from M&S, having failed to find anything suitable anywhere else. It fits well and looks good, but when I went swimming in it this week I noticed that it chafes a bit under the arms - could have done with being cut a bit lower there.

annodomini Sat 24-Feb-18 15:34:52

I bought two swimsuits from M&S last year. Tummy control sounded a great idea, but they were the very devil to pull on, though if I'd bought a bigger size they would have flapped all round me. From now on, I will forget about tummy control.

ninathenana Sat 24-Feb-18 18:18:41

I noticed Tesco had some attractive swim wear when I was there last week. Swim dresses, tankinis, all in one etc.

GrandmaMoira Sat 24-Feb-18 21:11:39

I find Bon Marche good for swimwear. The styles are similar to M&S but cheaper and styled for the mature figure.

Treebee Sat 24-Feb-18 21:57:22

I have a good swimsuit from Boden. Comfortable and flattering.

suzied Sat 24-Feb-18 22:20:50

Look for Zoggs swimwear ( Australian brand) on eBay or Figleaves. Tankinis and lots of one piece swimsuits.

OldMeg Sun 25-Feb-18 07:51:06

I go to our local sports shop. Not a big chain store just a smallish (but very well stocked) family run business in our high street.

They have an excellent range of real swimsuits for real swimming. Because there are three generations operating it I make for the older woman who understands I want something flattering but functional. I can try them on before I buy and usually end up with a couple.

It will be a shame if shops like this are driven out by the bigger stores as they offer advice and personal service. We’ve just lost our lingerie shop which is a blow as that too offered excellent fitting and a great range of bras ?

Humbertbear Sun 25-Feb-18 09:37:51

I just bought two swimsuits from M n S. They are similar to the general range but have extra control for larger sizes. I am delighted with them and they looked good in the sun (sorry) and were very comfortable.

Magrithea Sun 25-Feb-18 09:38:43

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm not curvy in the sense of big busted (other bits are curvier! grin) and I'm not a 'real' swimmer. Just want something that's comfortable and flattering and not navy/black/blue/pink!

hildajenniJ I hadn't considered swimdresses but there are some nice ones on the site you suggest, thank you

Teetime Sun 25-Feb-18 09:52:10

Figleaves.com have some lovely ones.

MaryBee Sun 25-Feb-18 11:24:48

I buy from Bravissimo because they are as well fitted as a bra and flattering on the other bits! A good investment.
Good luck.

moobox Sun 25-Feb-18 11:26:26

I always use Bonne marche as I want broad straps and a bit of bust padding

sue01 Sun 25-Feb-18 11:29:01

Another vote for Bon Marche here. I prefer Sundresses, as I walk along beaches for hours on end, and the selection at Bon Marche is excellent. Cotton Traders are also pretty good.

My only challenge is getting something long enough in the body... nothing worse than a short cossie !

gillyknits Sun 25-Feb-18 11:39:26

I bought two lovely tankinis from M&Co. last year. They were very colourful and fitted perfectly. Might be worth looking at their web site.

GeminiJen Sun 25-Feb-18 11:40:32

Another fan here of Zoggs. And they have regular sales, worth watching out for. I'm a keen swimmer. I found a style I liked and bought 4 in different colour combinations. Sorted!

Lupatria Sun 25-Feb-18 11:41:09

i've bought some really nice swimsuits from asda in the past.
as soon as i get back to swimming [pending knee replacement op sometime] i'll be looking at asda again.

elfies Sun 25-Feb-18 11:42:35

Something with a proper cup size and the top of the thighs that don't gather would be wonderful

Craftycat Sun 25-Feb-18 11:42:55

I get my tankinis from Curvy Kate. They are really lovely- if you wait until the end of the year you can pick them up for a very reduced price- but you do have to take the chance they will have your size. They have a good built in bra which s very comfortable. I have several of them &they wear well too.

marionk Sun 25-Feb-18 11:46:09

Asda for me as well

marpau Sun 25-Feb-18 12:01:35

Cotton traders have some flattering ones

Skweek1 Sun 25-Feb-18 12:05:12

I only go to Aquafit classes weekly - what's a holiday? - and find that the Tesco ones are fine - maybe not flattering, but weighing only 7st 12, slightly top heavy (top 14, bottom half 8-12, depending on make!) and not particularly curvy, they are cheap and cheerful

rizlett Sun 25-Feb-18 12:09:58

Bravissimo, Brastop & Pour Moi are my favourite sites and even though I don't have a 'bikini' body I still wear one.