Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Capsule wardrobe

(44 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Mon 21-May-18 05:48:53

I have so many clothes but nothing to wear. Such a vast assortment of tops that don't go with trousers. I have eight pairs of jeans and after looking at other items, the jeans go on. When I looked at things to dispise of because I have too much, many of the clothes are new or newish but I shouldn't have bought them, what waste of money sending them to a charity shop.
I never used to have this many clothes when I was working, a couple of suits, different tops and a few sheath dresses and I felt I always looked stylish. It is since being retired and shopping much more I have developed this bad habit.
Any ideas of a capsule wardrobe for retired women.

baubles Mon 21-May-18 06:35:23

I wear jeans, rolled up chinos, 3/4 length tapered or linen mix straight leg trousers. Occasionally don a skirt or dress but that would mainly be in holiday in warmer climes. Top half is often a chambray or cotton shirt over a vest top, a Breton top or a sweater if I’m cold. My wardrobe, such as it is, is all shades of blue with the odd grey, pink or white item. Everything goes with everything else.

What type of clothes you wear of course depends on your lifestyle.

Pinterest is good for ideas.

I reckon if you stick to a few colours which suit you and shapes you’re happy in you really can’t go far wrong.

Besstwishes Mon 21-May-18 06:55:37

I now stick to black, white, navy and a couple of vest tops in bright colours for the summer, with shirts to wear over them. last year I went on holiday, and I noticed that most of the ladies of my age wore lots of white trousers/shorts or cropped jeans and plain colour tops.

I happened to glance down and noticed that I was wearing blue trainers, coral pink cut offs, a blue and pink check shirt and a navy striped top. TBH I never really thought about clothes unless I was going somewhere special, I looked like a real old frump!

I came home and with the help of Pinterest and Susan Over 60 website, revamped my (very aged) wardrobe. I now feel more comfortable about how I look and can put things together without too much thought as they all coordinate.

OldMeg Mon 21-May-18 07:31:53

Sorry, I’m no fashionista. I’m a jeans and top and Skechers/Reicker (sp?) sort of person.

Panache Mon 21-May-18 08:33:37

My summers used to be oh! so simple........shorts,t.shirts and sandals,job done!!!

Nowadays its trousers be they 3/4 length,capri or full length........jeans,chinos or a heavier cloth.

Since losing such a drastic amount of weight and our Charity shop being the lucky recipient of some very good clothes including hardly worn and brand new............I have had the opportunity to start from scratch.

I have based my winter wardrobe on navy and I like rust and cream to go with it,although it leaves an "open door" for a variety of other colours if there is a need.
Springtime is a time for colour and again I base a lot on the colour sand and blues... bringing in lots of pretty coloured blouses including a range of simple plain coloured tops.
Footwear has to be comfy........boots in winter (tan and cream) and spring onwards gold shoes or my sketchers in white or navy.
Buying in coatagans or ponchos I find they make good cover ups whatever the season, so ideal for that capsule wardrobe.
I also invested in quilted waisted jackets ........one navy with a touch of red/white the other in yellow............and they make a nice warm addition to a spring outfit when the sun is not shining.
I hope to keep to my new "Wardrobe Warriors"...........the basics,and not spread myself all over the place again.Clothes are not cheap so I intend being sensible.
(Question is........will I stick to my plan??)

Teetime Mon 21-May-18 09:26:02

luckylegs your wardrobe story sounds like mine although I am trying to only buy a few good pieces now.

paddyann Mon 21-May-18 10:23:17

I'm having a clearout today ,my wardrobe is a disgrace there are things there that are older than my kids.I even found a very small pair of red lycra jeans from the 70's .I'd be lucky to get my ankles in them nowadays.I didn't realise there was so many clothes in boxes that haven't been opened in years

albertina Mon 21-May-18 10:32:05

I'm not flush with money but I did invest in a session with a good "Colour me beautiful" advisor. I now have a neat little folder of colour swatches to take shopping with me.

Instead of a wardrobe full of mismatched stuff ( often bought because it was in a sale) I am gradually building a nice inexpensive wardrobe of clothes that make me feel better about myself and that actually suit me.

Worth every penny.

Sheilasue Mon 21-May-18 10:32:48

My wardrobe consists of two pairs of trousers one navy and one very smart black pair, which I wear with a bright top.
Two pairs of leggings from M&S and matalan. Which are very smart black of course.
Loads of t shirts from M&S and net and some from primark.
Winter clothes are stored in suitcase. I went on line and found out about my s(ape which is Apple, got some very good advice about dressing for my shape. Have some long blouses too.

Sheilasue Mon 21-May-18 10:35:09

Also like to add that I wear tops and t shirts for indoors which I have had for a while, nice to work in with old cotton trousers or shorts if warm.

GabriellaG Mon 21-May-18 10:57:04

Look on YouTube. Lots of ideas for the over 50s/60s and capsule wsrdrobes covering all the seasons.

GabriellaG Mon 21-May-18 10:57:35

*wardrobes

Willow500 Mon 21-May-18 11:13:04

Unfortunately my wardrobes are also full of clothes but I often find 'I've nothing to wear'. I have the bottom half of one wardrobe full of jeans but lately am finding they're too uncomfortable and reach for something looser. Definitely time to lose weight hmm The other issue is that I'm always cold so all the lovely summery things I have I generally cover up with a cardigan both to keep my hideous wrinkly arms out of sight and for warmth. I rarely go out so tend to keep stuff 'for best' then it never gets worn and ends up being resigned to the charity bag. One thing is certain - I won't run out of clothes capsule wardrobe or not!!

Coconut Mon 21-May-18 11:17:16

Many of us ladies are all very similar ! I willingly donated all my work suits etc to the Charity Shop. I too have loads of clothes and “nothing to wear” at times. So when I am sent clothes catalogues, what I do is look thro them all ... not to buy even more clothes, just to see different ways of mixing and matching ! As I do seem to put the same stuff together at times, so now it’s as if I have a new outfit !

Apricity Mon 21-May-18 11:28:41

It took me a while (and a quite a few mistakes) to work out my retirement clothes too. (I am 67). These days I never wear skirts just skinny jeans, leggings or pants with tunic length tops. Tops are generally fine wool in winter, cotton etc in summer. In winter I wear ankle boots and in summer sandals or ballet flats. For evenings I wear narrow leg black pants with an interesting, often asymmetrical long top and accessories. I never buy patterned clothes and accessorise with scarves, beautiful pashminas, and interesting jewellery.

Have also discovered the wonders of cross front handbags (not too large) that free up your hands for accessing tickets or money, holding grandchildrens hands and can't be lost. Have bought a selection in different colours.

pennyh47 Mon 21-May-18 11:56:57

I had a consultation with House of Colour. Only 2 of us there and was a fun day. I took my little book of swatch colours everywhere but am now confident when buying. Gradually everything in your wardrobe goes together. Worth the money

inishowen Mon 21-May-18 12:21:30

I suggest you try everything on and donate anything that doesn't flatter or make you feel good. I have far too many clothes but this year I have been keeping the charity shop well stocked. I also had a lady come to my house to do my colours, and received the little swatch to take shopping. To my surprise I found I was already wearing the colours that suited me.

Welshwife Mon 21-May-18 12:25:19

I find shoes one of the worst things as am a boots or flip flop sort of person although this year I have got a cheap pair of striped espadrille type flat toes I bought in a sale in a French supermarket.
I think Sales are the devil’s work unless you are VERY strong willed - which I am now getting !
Having lost some weight I do have some. clothes which will now fit again which is good and some which were a tad small when purchased (I HATE trying on in shops) so have still got labels on and now fit so are ready to wear.
I find now that my colour range has contracted but more things go together. By the way I have found the lightweight ‘peg’ trousers from M and S or Next are very comfortable in warmer weather but so far I have only been able to get them in black or navy.

grandMattie Mon 21-May-18 12:34:20

just had a look at Pinterest under "Capsule Wardrobe". Although probably helpful, it is very 'magnolia', with shades of beige, grey and black. I like a bit of colour - in facat, a LOT of colour! Since my hair went white, I can wear all sorts like scarlet, without looking jaundiced. So I do.
Sorry not helpful to OP at all...

grandMattie Mon 21-May-18 12:34:34

fact???

Happysexagenarian Mon 21-May-18 12:46:13

I'm a sucker for a pretty top or t-shirt. I'm an impulse buyer and don't give a thought to whether it will go with anything else I have! This usually results in me having to buy trousers or a skirt to go with said new top. But I don't really follow fashion trends so I will make my clothes last a long time. Yesterday I wore a t-shirt that I've had for over 20 years - but I was just pottering in the garden.

VIOLETTE Mon 21-May-18 13:58:16

Oh this strikes a chord !!!! Just last week I started on my mountains of clothes ...with a determination to throw or give those I no longer want ....so far the Charity shop has had five bags, the Emmaeus charity clothing bank has had six, another clothes bank 4 and now I am too embarassed to donate any more .......we don't have charity shops here as in the UK, only one open on a Thurs morning that belongs to the Secours Cathololique ....trouble is, I am getting well known in there .................don't want to throw them away as they are too good !!! have to go back to the shop with the next bags (2 full so far and only ONE wardrobe and a few drawers done !) I read online about the capsule wardrobe where you only need 38 items of clothing ..........will I ever make it ?? still got two wardrobes, suitcases of stored s ummer clothes, suitcase of summer shoes, various storage bags in the loft, bottom of the wardrobes, drawers under the bed .....to go ! I AM NOT BUYING ANY MORE CLOTHES (she said !) grin

Eglantine21 Mon 21-May-18 14:26:13

I tend to buy, wear it to death and throw away 38 items sounds quite a lot to me.

I find working to key colours quite helpful. One dark, one light, one bright + one wild card.

This summer I am going French navy, off white, deep rose + lime green.

1 linen trousers navy
1 linen trousers off white
1 skirt navy
1 skirt swirly mix of 3 key colours
2 long sleeved shirts, off white and rose
3 tee shirts off white, rose and lime
1 linen jacket navy
1 cardigan rose
2 dresses in a mix of above colours.

That’s about it really apart from a few leftovers from last year which was donkey brown, coral and the ever popular off white !

Like I said I will wear them out and start again next summer with something different. The trouble with keeping things is they get dated and the way we look changes too. Then there’s a wardrobe full of things that don’t really work!

Luckylegs Mon 21-May-18 14:45:59

Your post could have been written by me as well, Luckylegs. I've given away so many clothes over the years to charity shops, friends etc but I can't stop buying! Mainly in the sales I have to admit. The concept of wearing something out eludes me. I have never ever worn anything out, shoes included. I do feel guilty sometimes because we could have had savings if I hadn't put it all on my back but I so enjoy shopping! I swear I'm not buying any more, particularly when I've just sorted out some stuff and I realise - again - how much I have but I'm addicted I think!

Jalima1108 Mon 21-May-18 15:41:20

I'm having a clearout today ,my wardrobe is a disgrace there are things there that are older than my kids
I need to clear out as well and I do have one dress that is older than my youngest DC - I was going somewhere special and could scarcely afford to buy it, wore it twice and it has travelled from house to house since then! It's back in fashion, but unfortunately it is a size 10 and I am not.