Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Wouldn’t it be nice......

(92 Posts)
Poppyred Tue 17-Jul-18 16:12:39

If fashion designers asked us what we wanted to wear as clothes! Fed up of nighties with flowers on, why do they think that older ladies want flowers stamped on their clothes???? Short dresses that show wrinkly knees? No thank you. Scoop necks that show wrinkly décolletage? No thanks. And the list goes on........ Apparently our age group have more money to spend on clothes than the younger generation but there aren’t any decent ones out there ☹️☹️

Oopsadaisy53 Tue 17-Jul-18 16:19:39

Even worse are clothes with ‘cuddly’ animals on, and why can’t I find any tops with proper sleeves in? Even in Summer I don’t want to show the tops of my arms when I go out.

Please let me know when you find a store that sells what we want!

lemongrove Tue 17-Jul-18 16:25:03

Had a look round an M&S yesterday at some of the new ranges for Autumn.....God help us!
More germolene pink, more greeny/yellow, more big flowers, more shiny nasty cheap fabrics that look as if they came off a market stall in Bangalore.
It can’t really be so hard, to design classic clothes with a bit of trendiness thrown in, mainly for the middle aged and older age groups.

varian Tue 17-Jul-18 16:33:19

It is nice to be able to agree with you lemongrove. Most of us are looking for clothes that are comfortable, but stylish and if at all possible, flattering. (at our age we generally need a bit of help).

If you don't want flowers, garish colours, frills, lace, sequins, lurex, clingy clothes or anything with writing on, then you'll have to look very hard in M&S.

M0nica Tue 17-Jul-18 21:36:31

But all of us want something different. I just want good quality clothes that will last and not look like dishrags after 2 washes.

Perusing the sites with clothes advertised to older women. I find most of the clothes on them really dull and ageing and I HATE acetate/polyester, call it what you will, it is cold and slimy in winter and hot and slimy in summer.

Charleygirl Tue 17-Jul-18 22:12:32

I am beyond wanting a teddy bear emblazoned on a nightdress. I also want a nightdress to be marginally below my knees- not one that barely covers my ample rear.

MissAdventure Tue 17-Jul-18 22:23:01

How about a pug in a tiara? smile

MiniMoon Tue 17-Jul-18 23:29:25

I've got patterned summer trousers and want plain tops to go with them. Can I find anything decent? No! Apart from a white linen blouse. As for nighties. I eventually found one, just below mid calf length, ivory with black flowers in outline, not garish flowers. I had to trawl for ages on Amazon as none of the shops had what I wanted.

cornergran Wed 18-Jul-18 00:22:02

I’m fairly tall and live in separates. Why? Because I’ve been looking for a comfortable, flattering, not too pricey every day dress that covers my knees and has a short sleeve made in a fabric that hangs nicely and doesn’t crease for three years now. Still haven’t got one. Am I wanting the moon? It seems I am.

Coolgran65 Wed 18-Jul-18 00:39:10

I had a £50 gift voucher for M & S. I trawled the store without success even though I was being very open minded. Eventualy, after two months and several visits, it was spent in the food department.

BBbevan Wed 18-Jul-18 06:22:39

Been looking for ages for a plain white cotton T shirt. M&S have changed to a slimy material. Others are emblazoned with "witty" !!! slogans. Tu do one but it is very cheap. Will it keep its shape?
I used to find d this easy. Now it is getting ridiculous. Any suggestions?

Teetime Wed 18-Jul-18 08:31:44

My M & S nightie has hummingbirds on it I think that's Ok, generally M & S isn't worth the trip now expect for men's clothes which seem to be fine and wear well.

Oopsadaisy53 Wed 18-Jul-18 09:00:25

TBH if the Tui is cheap, then as long as it keeps its shape for one summer then it’s ok by me, I bought 2 long sleeved ones last winter and dry them over a clothes airer and they are still fine.

mcem Wed 18-Jul-18 10:00:56

Primark stock a vast range of self - coloured t's with long medium and short sleeves and various necklines- v, scoop, slash. Pure cotton or with added elastane.
Some have washed amazingly well over 2/3 summers. Whites tend to discolour after 5/6 washes.

I too like patterned summer trousers and have always managed to find at least 2 self-coloured t's to go with each pair.

Lyndie Wed 18-Jul-18 10:25:07

Have a look at Mint Velvet. Relaxed glamour. A little expensive but they have sales all the time. Worth a look.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 18-Jul-18 10:25:10

I sleep in a man's cotton night shirt small size is ideal. Striped or checked is not an issue. I can slum around, answer the door or hang washing out still wearing it as it comes just below my knees and there is no fear of tripping me up going up stairs.

paddyann Wed 18-Jul-18 10:26:26

I must be odd then I bought a lovely knee length navy ,high neck,short sleeved dress in M and S on Sunday its beautiful on .Very flattering and can be dressed up or worn casual .I buy a lot of dresses from QVC too ,always get exactly what I want.
I'm currently restocking my wardrobe as I've lost weight and gone down from a 14 to a 10 ..so I was pleased to find what I wanted in the shops .

starbox Wed 18-Jul-18 10:27:06

Just check out Gudrun Sjoden site! I love it!!

sarahellenwhitney Wed 18-Jul-18 10:27:18

Charleygirl. I think you would find a man's nightshirt will tick your box.

Silverlady79 Wed 18-Jul-18 10:27:55

Kit and Kaboodal. Fabulous clothes for fabulous women of a certain age. My cupboard is shoved full of them!

Cherrytree59 Wed 18-Jul-18 10:28:49

Minimoon totally agree.
Last year I was completely unsure of the 'Patterned Trouser'
But this year, probably because of the heat I have totally embraced them.
However most of my summer tops are patterned and so are now a complete No no.
Finding suitable plain tops to go with them is another story.

Gizmogranny Wed 18-Jul-18 10:30:43

I also battle to find decent tops and nighties in M&S. I find that most of the tops are too short in the body and it’s a nightmare trying to find 100% cotton tops. As for the nighties, many are too short, there’s too many in polyester and the few that are 100% cotton are of a hideous pattern/design. In many respects it’s a good reason to give M&S a miss!

janeainsworth Wed 18-Jul-18 10:38:47

bbevan
plain white t-shirt from jigsaw

suzied Wed 18-Jul-18 10:40:51

My favourite stores are Cos and Uniqlo both good online. Uniqlo have (or had) some white embroidered cotton tops which are perfect with loose summer trousers. Cos usually have dresses which are longer and flattering. Other than that I make my own.

Jaycee5 Wed 18-Jul-18 10:43:39

Poppyred I was looking through a couple of sites yesterday one of which is aimed more at people of a certain age. They had some lovely clothes but over 90% of the tops had scoop necks and they are really ageing on me. They are very pretty on the page but I have to be strict with myself because I know what they will look like on me.