Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Eye Makeup.

(62 Posts)
mollyc Sun 21-Oct-18 17:44:55

At what age do I stop using eye makeup? I am 81 and don't want to look like mutton dressed as lamb.I stopped using eye liner last year and now just use eye shadow and have my eyebrows tinted.I have white hair. Please advise.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 21-Oct-18 17:48:20

There is no age limit, wear the makeup you feel comfortable wearing.

Teetime Sun 21-Oct-18 17:53:09

Defintely ditch the eyeliner but a lovely soft eye make up will bring your eyes out. I would defintely not give up wearing it and enjoy doing it. I would get it done in a shop or spa and follow that. Age is nothing to do with it.

Melanieeastanglia Sun 21-Oct-18 20:15:37

Don't stop until you want to stop. Soft colours will look great, I think.

Craicon Sun 21-Oct-18 23:04:21

Softly smudged eyeliner’s fine, just don’t draw a solid black line. Depending on your eye colour and skin tone, try a grey or purple colour around the eyes.
There’s no age limit with make-up. Wear whatever gives you confidence.

absent Mon 22-Oct-18 05:22:26

At all costs avoid looking like the late Barbara Cartland unless you are happy about people mocking you. Otherwise, use whatever make-up you like – and that includes eyeliner if you want to. I would recommend brown or grey eyeliner applied to the inside rather than the outside of the lids. But if you don't want to, don't. Enjoy being the woman you are now and looking like the woman you are now.

LullyDully Mon 22-Oct-18 07:55:48

Any tips to putting on in everyday eyelashes? Mine are sadly falling out? I got some and have no idea what to do.

Teetime Mon 22-Oct-18 08:01:41

False eyelashes may make the situation worse. Why not have your own lashes tinted at a salon...makes rhe world of difference.

Corkie91 Mon 22-Oct-18 09:23:00

Why do you feel that you need to stop wearing make up go with what makes you happy and comfortable. There's no age limit for makeup.

Coconut Mon 22-Oct-18 09:25:24

I just think that “less is more” as we age, I wear as little as poss as I hate that obviously “trying too hard to look young” look. The secret is to look as natural as possible.

Lostmyglassesxx Mon 22-Oct-18 09:27:31

Don’t give up anything because of age ...adapt and carry on !

Nanny41 Mon 22-Oct-18 09:28:01

Whatever makes you feel good, use it, there is no age limit.

123coco Mon 22-Oct-18 09:34:20

LIULLYDULLY. There are lots of great eyelash growth serums out there. I am at a loss why anyone who is able would pay to have eyebrows and lashes tinted. I paid once decades ago and the beautician complained about how fine my eyelashes were so I immediately bought a kit and started to do them myself and have never stopped. I use julienne from amazon. Make sure you get the ‘developer ‘ liquid too.

sue01 Mon 22-Oct-18 09:38:20

Your life, your face, your happiness.

And as for mutton looking like lamb.... I've always thought that was preferable to mutton looking like mutton ?

Gilly1952 Mon 22-Oct-18 09:50:43

Molly, how wonderful that you still care about your appearance, so many older ladies just give up! My dear Mum lived to be 96 and she still used a little makeup and would put on her lipstick and beads when she was going out. People often thought she was in her late 70s! I hope I will be as good as her, if I live that long! She used to love bright colours too - no beige for my Mum! I often think of the poem “When I am old I shall wear purple......” Keep up the good work - I’m sure you look wonderful xx

Jaxie Mon 22-Oct-18 09:59:32

Now you've got me worried: I'm 75, use brown eyeliner because otherwise my eyes look "piggy", but it always smudges, as does mascara, as I get very hot, no temperature regulation. Any Gransnetters have tips how to stop eye makeup smudging?

DawnS Mon 22-Oct-18 10:11:14

Totally agree. A couple of 'friends' warned me about looking like mutton dressed as lamb. I had a bright coloured shirt, I am dark haired and was about 55! I just laughed. Dressing and grooming how you wish should be a pleasure.

Kim19 Mon 22-Oct-18 10:15:55

If you feel good and happy about yourself and your appearance then you go for it. Since you have posed the question then maybe you are starting to have doubts. Go with your own gut. Good luck.

inishowen Mon 22-Oct-18 10:36:00

I go to Pilates with a lovely lady who is 81. She was a makeup artist years ago. Her makeup is always perfect, a little mascara, foundation and lipstick. I hope to be as beautiful when I reach her age.

mabon1 Mon 22-Oct-18 10:51:57

Never stop using mascara!

freyja Mon 22-Oct-18 10:52:38

Have you tried 'Look fabulous forever'? it is make up designed specially for older skin and its lovely, with no age limit. You can find all about it on line at the Look Fabulous Forever website. They give advise on skin tone and colours to suit you and useful tutorials. It is all about looking and feeling great no matter what your age.
I gave up wearing make up years ago because I didn't feel right but I was so pleased to have found this website and now wear make up all the time when I go out.

Margs Mon 22-Oct-18 11:05:24

I'd wish to look like Dame Hilda Brackett (of Hinge & Brackett fame) - effortless elegance and very dignified with it.

In yours dreams, Margs - it ain't going to happen!

sarahellenwhitney Mon 22-Oct-18 11:30:01

Jaxie .There are no hard and fast rules what you put on your eyes or your face. Deeper lines around my eyes, and lashes not as prolific, both when I reached 75 was the time to say good bye to my eye make up.My weakness has always been, since I wore specs, the designer kind.
This I feel has compensated for my lack of eye makeup. I do believe we can' over do it' as we get older 'wrong advice? or looking at t v and screen celebs thinking we can look like they do ? We need to realise they can afford to get the best advice and products. Beauty salons will give advice and we can get a make over that usually involves a few samples. Is this not preferential to 'ask a friend' and can avoid costly mistakes?

Craftycat Mon 22-Oct-18 11:33:57

Never leave house without full makeup & hopefully never will!

Squiffy Mon 22-Oct-18 12:02:31

Jaxie Have you tried using an eyeliner made of minerals? My eyes water a lot and I've found mineral eyeliner does the job really well.