Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Woolovers

(53 Posts)
maryeliza54 Wed 14-Nov-18 14:13:04

Has anyone used this company - any comments? TIA

ayse Wed 14-Nov-18 14:44:00

Yes, I used to use them a lot but stopped because they have become rather too expensive for me and the sales are not as good as they could be. I’ve got to say that most of the jumpers and cardigans I had were of good quality, worth the money and generally washed well. I liked the cotton and silk, and the finer wool knits but I did find the woollen polo necks a bit itchy. The service was very good both online and via the phone. I’d love to buy some of their new stuff but as I said, a bit on the expensive side these days.

maryeliza54 Wed 14-Nov-18 14:47:18

Thanks- very useful

M0nica Wed 14-Nov-18 14:47:21

I use them. I have bought several woollen sweaters from them and never had any problems. As Ayse says, they are not cheap, but good quality and wear well.

Charleygirl5 Wed 14-Nov-18 14:51:45

I do like their woollen cardigans but I only buy during a sale because of the price. They are very good quality and as others have said, they wash well.

starbird Wed 14-Nov-18 14:55:56

I have ordered several jumpers from Woolovers recently but returned most of them - kept two but don’t really like one of them. I find the sizing wrong for me, one size a bit tight the next size up too big, also they bobble so quickly.
My best sweater buy this year was Bon Marche - acrylic but feel lovely and soft and are quite warm - wear really well, I bought three for £20 or less each. Went back for another colour last week and only very large sizes left but found something similar from M&S also for £20. I also buy from Damart.
( I don’t normally buy so many but am replacing some really old ones, and am working at the moment so putting aside for the future! ).

maryeliza54 Wed 14-Nov-18 14:56:10

Do you hand or machine wash?

M0nica Wed 14-Nov-18 15:01:08

I hand wash and then do a quick spin.

Luckygirl Wed 14-Nov-18 15:41:12

They are expensive; but I have a cardigan that I have had for years and still wear. Most of my knitwear comes from Asda!

BlueBelle Wed 14-Nov-18 15:47:42

I get a lot from Asda too luckygirl, I think they are decent quality, I ve never heard of Woolovers

Lisagran Wed 14-Nov-18 15:54:13

There’s a discount code for 20% off for Nov - VCN20

J52 Wed 14-Nov-18 16:01:21

I used to be a Woolovers fan and bought for myself and as presents.
Then a couple of years ago I put in an on line order of several jumpers for Christmas presents to be sent to my home address, the money was taken immediately from my Pay Pal account and I had an email with the order number. I waited and waited and nothing arrived.
When I rang then up they agreed that I had paid, but no order had been processed! I asked what did they think the random money they had was for?
The attitude was ‘ so what’. I got my money back into my account immediately, but have never used them since.

maryeliza54 Wed 14-Nov-18 16:02:48

Thanks again - all very useful

Mamissimo Wed 14-Nov-18 16:10:53

I’ve only ever bought one and it was poor quality for the money. It bobbled on its first outing and became an instant gardening jumper.

GillT57 Wed 14-Nov-18 16:25:18

I am a fan, I think they are good value for money. I especially like the cashmere and merino mix as I have sensitive skin and they do not irritate. I hate man made fibres and acrylic type sweaters so the Woolover ones at around £35 each are fair value I think. Bought my first ones last year and they are still ok. I cool wash in the washing machine, no problems.

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Nov-18 17:05:40

I bought DH two cotton and cashmere jumpers which are lovely but I ordered a wool jumper for myself (last year) which I sent back as it was itchy. Some people can wear Shetland wool but I found I can't.

kittylester Wed 14-Nov-18 17:10:57

I have a few of their jumpers but fins it hard to find a style I like nowadays. The ones I have have worn well. I machine wash on a wool setting.

MawBroon Wed 14-Nov-18 17:17:08

I used to be one of their best customers I think , but of late I find their colours and styling have become very mumsy, frankly boring, and they seem to be trying to cover too many bases at once.
A few years ago the colours were much better and although they offered fewer styles, what they did would coordinate.
Sizing also has become much more hit and miss sad

M0nica Wed 14-Nov-18 17:41:02

I find acrylic sweaters, just do not keep me warm and a lot of them are not very thick. I want 100% wool and have even started knitting my own woollens again, after decades, to get it. I really only buy polo-neck sweaters so haven't looked at other styles, beyond a quick glance.

Bathsheba Wed 14-Nov-18 17:47:10

I only ever bought one item from them - a very simple sweater, crew neck, long sleeves. Very long sleeves. In fact, sleeves that were eight inches too long shock. Let me say here that I don't have short arms. My arms are, I believe, of average length, to go with my average height.
However, my girth is a lot a little more than average. Do you think that some manufacturers believe that as our size increases our arms grow longer? confused
Needless to say, I sent it back and have never ordered from them since.

Fennel Wed 14-Nov-18 18:19:05

I've bought lots of things from them and have no complaints.
I don't think their prices are too extreme taking into account that they're all made from basic yarns, no synthetics (as far as I know.)
Especially wool, which is becoming a very rare thing. I'm wearing now a bluebell coloured wool jumper which I bought about 5 years ago and has been machine washed many times.

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Nov-18 18:26:24

Bathsheba I bought a couple of quite nice jumpers in Australia last year and when I wore them I found they had three-quarter length sleeves. Most odd for long, warm jumpers confused

I have relatively long arms so thought it was me but many jumpers bought in the UK have sleeves which are too long!

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Nov-18 18:27:02

that sounds lovely Fennel
I like blue

M0nica Wed 14-Nov-18 19:26:04

Bathsheba Do you think that some manufacturers believe that as our size increases our arms grow longer?

Yes they do. Look at clothes on a rack in a shop and you will usually find that sleeve length, and skirt length are relaated to size, unless items come with specific different sizes for those items of the garment.

It applies to menswear as well. Every time collar size goes up, sleeves lengthen.

Bathsheba Wed 14-Nov-18 21:04:06

M0nica it is pretty crazy isn’t it? Surely people complain? I know I did - I didn’t simply return the garment, I told them in detail how ridiculous the sleeve length was. I wonder why the message doesn’t get through?