Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Would you wear dungarees?

(122 Posts)
suzied Fri 22-Feb-19 17:19:26

I went into the Gap Outlet store near me today, they had mid blue denim dungarees at 50% off- so around £25. I tried them on and loved them - really comfy - great for gardening and general chores I thought, I pictured myself wearing them with a breton t shirt and white pumps. I ended up not buying them as I was unsure whether they were appropriate - I'm slim and fairly tall btw, so not a tweedledum look, - question is - can a gran wear denim dungarees or are they only suitable for toddlers?

Jane10 Fri 22-Feb-19 17:24:27

Er no.

MissAdventure Fri 22-Feb-19 17:26:19

I would.
Anything comfortable is good for me.
Its just jeans with an extra bit.

EllanVannin Fri 22-Feb-19 17:27:16

Leave them to the toddlers or at least the young teens.

KatyK Fri 22-Feb-19 17:33:50

If I liked them I think I might wear them

PECS Fri 22-Feb-19 17:37:53

Not any more!

BlueBelle Fri 22-Feb-19 17:37:56

I would if they looked good but I wouldn’t pay £25 for gardening in

Wheniwasyourage Fri 22-Feb-19 17:44:08

If you like them and they fit you and you are happy with how they look, what difference does your age make?

Like BlueBelle though, I wouldn't wear new anything for gardening, just jeans which have nearly had it, and then they go on the compost heap.

J52 Fri 22-Feb-19 18:00:14

Last time I wore them it was the early 80s and they were pale blue maternity dungarees from Mothercare. When I bought them I couldn’t believe anyone could get that big to completely fit them.
I’d outgrown them by 8 months.

leyla Fri 22-Feb-19 18:03:27

I'd wear them. It depends what your usual mode of dress is.

hellymart Fri 22-Feb-19 18:08:33

I'd probably wear them around the house/garden but would probably feel a bit silly going out in them! (I used to wear dungarees but I was in my 20s!)

Lazigirl Fri 22-Feb-19 18:14:37

I definitely would, but not for gardening, and the Breton tshirt and white pumps sound just right. I have just ordered a jumpsuit from M&S and I'm not tall. I've got far more concerns than to worry whether my clothes are "appropriate".

JackyB Fri 22-Feb-19 18:29:08

They sound OK, I think. You could always slip a jumper over the top then no one will know. But with your figure you shouldn't have anything to be ashamed of. Nice with a white blouse or a Laura Ashley print.

I had a lovely pair of bordeaux red corduroy dungarees when I was pregnant, and the only others I've had since are blue twill ones that I use when we go and chop firewood in the local forest.

mumofmadboys Fri 22-Feb-19 18:29:26

If you like them Suzie please buy them. They are a bit of a pain to go to the loo in. I had maternity ones and I loved them. Also a maternity boiler suit. The fact that you are tall and slim will make you look great in them. Go for it!

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Feb-19 18:34:01

I had maternity ones but no, I wouldn't wear them now.

One day last year I was wearing dark slim(mish) jeans and a Breton top, sorting through old photos and I found a photo of me at 18 wearing - dark slim jeans and a Breton top.

Perhaps it's time to change my style smile

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Feb-19 18:34:54

If you're tall and slim you should look fine though.
I'm not.

Alima Fri 22-Feb-19 18:46:12

Definitely not. Bladder isn’t what it used to be. Too risky.

phoenix Fri 22-Feb-19 18:47:09

Might, might not! Practicality would be the deciding factor, especially the going to the loo aspect.

EllanVannin Fri 22-Feb-19 18:48:19

That thought did strike me too Alima hahaha.

Baggs Fri 22-Feb-19 18:55:49

I wore dungarees after DD1 was born. Lived in them. I had three pairs. They were not standard denim ones.

I was looking at some recently but thought the fabric wasn't good quality. If it had been, I'd have bought some.

I'm not tall.

Baggs Fri 22-Feb-19 18:57:41

Later on I wore those garments called pantsuits quite a lot too, even made my own loose Andy Pandy style but with a belt. They suited me.

lemongrove Fri 22-Feb-19 18:59:18

NO!! Not unless you want to look like a Quick Fit Fitter.

Bathsheba Fri 22-Feb-19 19:05:44

I wouldn't, but then I don't have your figure blush. My daughter, in her mid 40s, wears dungarees - she is rail thin, though, so looks great in them.
You should get them suzied - you like the look of them, they're comfy and you're tall and slim. Go for it! Unless, of course, you have a weak bladder....

Lazigirl Fri 22-Feb-19 19:26:52

Oh dear. I've started to reject the jumpsuit I've ordered because I am not tall, but short, not slim but size 12, and I will forever have pictures of Andy Pandy in my head when I wear it sad

Atqui Fri 22-Feb-19 19:57:03

Yet another granny who needs super fast access to the loo, so no. Loved them in the early 80s.