Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

A good foundation recommendation please

(25 Posts)
fizzers Wed 03-Apr-19 18:10:36

At 62 I can no longer wear the type of foundation that I used to do when younger, and have spent a small fortune the past couple of years trying out different ones. I use a moisturiser, and a primer but no natter what foundation it sinks into my pores, makes them look horrific and magnifies/exaggerates every single line and wrinkle, I've had a couple of 'makeovers' at the make up counters but wasn't satisfied - any suggestions? no high end suggestions have spent enough!

Happychops Wed 03-Apr-19 18:31:11

I use a primer instant illusions airbrush away, by No 7. I then use Clarins everlasting foundation. I started using the make up advise from this site for the over 50’s a few weeks ago, and what a difference. I now use the methods they show using a brush and my make up is so much better. It is worth a look.

Auntieflo Wed 03-Apr-19 19:22:48

Lacuna, from Aldi, has had good reports, and not expensive.

FountainPen Wed 03-Apr-19 19:47:24

I'm going to do what you asked not to and suggest Clinique Even Better. It isn't cheap at around £25- £28 but you only need a little on the tip of a brush so one bottle lasts a long time.

I wear foundation most days with a clean and a reapplication in the evening if I am going out - about three of four nights a week. I use two bottles a year so around a £1 a week.

I am a couple of years younger than you but my skin is still very oily and have encountered similar problems to you with cheaper products.

I discovered Even Better foundation during a free make up at the Clinique counter and it really is the best foundation I have ever had. People often comment on what lovely skin I have. I don't think I do else I wouldn't rely on a foundation so it's the product doing the work.

NanKate Wed 03-Apr-19 20:40:27

Hi fizzers, recently I think I have cracked the age old problem of getting a good foundation but of course we are all different and what suits me may not suit others.

I have fair, dry skin that needs pink undertones not yellow. I also have dark bags under my eyes. I’m 72.

This is what works for me well.

I use GOSH foundation from Superdrug. It is there foundation plus + creamy compact high coverage. I think it was about £10.00. The colour I use is 004. I mix it with a drop of my Estée Lauder Double Wear that I bought sometime ago and as it was expensive I want to use it up. After putting on the Gosh except for under my eyes where I use It Bye Bye under eyes concealer bought from Boots which cost £22.00 but is excellent. You put a tiny squirt on one finger them warm it up with another finger them blot it under the eyes. Over all that I blot Rimmel Face Powder in Pink Blossom and then I am ready for lipstick mascara etc.

Hope that helps.

lemongrove Wed 03-Apr-19 21:26:44

Avon True Colour ( liquid in bottle) is excellent, buy online.

dragonfly46 Wed 03-Apr-19 21:30:42

I use Clinique CC tinted moisturiser. It is light but has good coverage and lasts all day.

annodomini Wed 03-Apr-19 21:48:35

I made an unexpected discovery last year: among Aldi's 'special offers' where several cosmetic items, cruelty free with the leaping rabbit logo. I decided to try the foundation and it was one of the best buys ever -at £5.99. It hasn't made an appearance in the store since then, but I discovered the web site and bought two more which should last at least six months as the bottle I bought before Christmas is still going strong. You don't need much to get good coverage and there's a concealer, cunningly 'concealed' in the cap.

annodomini Wed 03-Apr-19 21:54:41

where WERE
For goodness sake!!

NanTheWiser Fri 05-Apr-19 18:21:30

I'm seriously considering getting Dior Forever Undercover foundation. I've been using a mineral powder foundation by Lily Lolo for many years, but feel I could do with a bit of extra coverage. Tried some on the back of my hand today, and was very impressed by the results, but probably chose one a bit too dark, so I'll probably go to John Lewis next week, and see if I can wheedle a sample or two to try.
It's not cheap - about £32 in JL, but I'm fine with that if it gives me good results.
I don't want to use powder as well, and the Dior seems to fit the bill, from the test I did today.

fizzers Sun 07-Apr-19 12:08:16

I used to have oily skin when younger so a matt foundation and powder used to fix that, over the years as my skin has gotten less oily I altered the foundation types that I wore, I tried an illuminating foundation and it looked good but can't for the life in me rememberedf the make, back to the make up counters tomorrow

Beammeupscottie Sat 18-May-19 12:46:26

Laura Mercier (JL) for marvellous all-day coverage; especially good for mature skin. About £35 but lasts for six months used daily.

Iam64 Sat 18-May-19 13:35:11

I've tried cheaper foundations, including number 7 but returned to Lancombe. It isn't cheap but it covers the skin without being heavy, leading to those awful cracks around the lines on my face, One bottle does at least six months so worth it,

Deedaa Sat 18-May-19 17:42:49

I always use a BBcream from Aldi. It seems to give a nice finish without being too heavy.

GabriellaG54 Sat 18-May-19 17:49:13

I recommend naked skin with SPF 30 moisturiser, nothing more.

DoraMarr Sat 18-May-19 18:09:26

I don’t wear foundation, just DD cream. At the moment I’m using Marks and Spencer’s Autograph. I’m also putting on top of it Charlotte Tilbury’s “wonderglow”, which I bought after a 70th birthday makeover from one of my daughters. I have never had so many people tell me how well I look! It’s pricey, but I’m hooked now!

Maggiemaybe Sat 18-May-19 18:29:54

I've somehow ended up with both the Aldi Lacuna and the Avon True Colour mentioned above on the go at once. I think they're both good, and very similar. Seeing as I very rarely use foundation, they'll probably last me years!

Flossieturner Sun 19-May-19 08:33:24

A family friend who sells cosmetics gave me this advice for older skins and it works for me. She said to use a thicker layer of Astral cream before applying the foundation. Let it sink in for a minute, then when there is just a film on your face apply foundation. I use L’Oreal Age perfect. Then use a cream blusher and a very light dusting of loose powder applied with a wide brush. I have quite dry skin but it stops me feeling craggy, which I used to hate.

Francis Mon 05-Aug-19 10:40:12

hi everyone i was just reading over some of the comments in regards to foundations ect. I can highly recommend trying the bare minerals range, they use all natural ingredients and have a different range for different skin and give an all over natural finish.

Dolcelatte Sun 11-Aug-19 08:59:36

Estee Lauder Double Wear - lots of different shades

fizzers Sun 11-Aug-19 09:39:15

I think I have it sorted now, Benefit Pore Primer (pearl primer)and Benefit Hello Happy soft blur foundaion, both pricey but seem to work for me

Teetime Sun 11-Aug-19 10:41:40

Lots of makes do a lighter range now. I am using Clarins Skin Illusion now which light, smooth and good coverage.

cangran Thu 15-Aug-19 10:38:44

Has anyone tried the rather pricey Lookfabulousforever foundation? I usually use a CC cream (Olay 7 in 1) but my new magnifying mirror seems to be saying I might need something with slightly more coverage (i.e. doesn't emphasise wrinkles)!

giulia Sun 08-Sep-19 06:47:22

CANGRAN Yes, I do use the "rather pricey" LFF foundation. A single drop of their prime plus a single drop of the foundation, applied with their foundation brush, is sufficient for face coverage and truly lasts all day. Also, they are in pump bottles so remain hygenic. I find it is an excellent investment and the result is natural-looking.

PamelaJ1 Sun 08-Sep-19 12:20:31

I have used bare minerals for years. Easy to apply, looks as natural as you can get and has an SPF of 25. What’s not to like?